Looking for some advice

mozza54

Hi I'm thinking of getting back into pc gaming and I've been offered an old Alienware x51 sadly not for free.

The spec is below, just wanted some thoughts on if you think it would be able to handle current games like Titanfall and watch dogs on medium settings. The plan is to chuck in a better gpu and possibly CPU when I get the chance but would like it to work for now.

i5 2320 (sandy bridge)
8gb ram
Gtx 555

As far as I know I should be able to chuck in an ivybridge CPU at some point and a decent gpu.

Thoughts?

Chox1988

Distinguished Member
depends how much youre paying for it, but yeah cant see why that wouldnt be a decent enough idea. I'd be surprised if it can medium watch dogs, but titanfall will be fine.

Get that gpu swapped first, then the cpu.

mozza54

depends how much youre paying for it, but yeah cant see why that wouldnt be a decent enough idea. I'd be surprised if it can medium watch dogs, but titanfall will be fine.

Get that gpu swapped first, then the cpu.

Im on about trading my Xbox one for it basically, the guy listed it at £300 so I think its a reasonable deal.. just umming as I didnt want to take on a project that then needs me to swap out 90% of the parts.

Chox1988

Distinguished Member
you pretty much need to swap out the gpu asap, but the rest will hold up just fine, i'd probably take the trade valued at £300, you'll at least have something to play that way, not a great deal out on the one yet

Jamezinho

Distinguished Member
If you could throw another £200 at it in the near future I'd look at putting one of the cheaper GTX770 cards in that system or AMD's R9 280x. Either card should see you good for a while.

mozza54

Yeah that's what I've been looking at. Wasn't sure on the AMD's as I believe they draw more power but I've been looking at GTX 6 and 7 series cards which I believe will work just fine.. Now I just need to make my mind up on it lol

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom