Looking for some advice - stolen car :-(

No loss is better than any.. It's not YOUR FAULT. It is just unfortunate that someone has to suffer.

Lets say it was sold for £5000? How do you stand then?

Car wouldn't pass hands that quick if it was £5000 and if OP had purchased it at this price he would probably be SOL instead of the next chap along the line.

Honestly imo this situation would have been completely avoided if it was £5000.

I think in this scenario I would be tempted to split the loss with your buyer. I agree with the later post that if this had been £5k then it's a different story, but this is a relatively small amount. It's not about making friends, it's about whats right for you. For me, I would offer the guy half back after the police have finished their processes.

So I take the dog out for 5 mins and the police call back. Typical! The message says 'when we get round to the other guy if you have any repercussions call us back' so they have obviously not seized the car from him yet or been to see him. No mention of the guy I bought from.

Strange that they have not been round to see him yet, especially driving around in a moody motor.
In a way I feel sorry for the buyer as like you he bought it in good faith.

I have no doubt as soon as the car is recovered he will come knocking. He probably see it as the buck stops at you having the money.

Strange that they have not been round to see him yet, especially driving around in a moody motor.

I have no doubt as soon as the car is recovered he will come knocking. He probably see it as the buck stops at you having the money.

But he paid someone else too.

How would it be if he got his money back from the thief and had been given back £250 from the OP. I am almost certain it would never be returned.

But until it all unravels, no-one can speculate.

I think in this scenario I would be tempted to split the loss with your buyer. I agree with the later post that if this had been £5k then it's a different story, but this is a relatively small amount. It's not about making friends, it's about whats right for you. For me, I would offer the guy half back after the police have finished their processes.

If it was 5k I am sure he would have looked into it more than he did at £500 and he wouldn't be posting now.

Lol funny how 500 isn't a lot of money to some folk
In relation to this is refund him 250 just for my 'karma'

Edit
Can the police not get your money back from the person you purchased it from.

The police are not a debt collecting agency, so they wont get the money back.
They will deal the person for theft and deception, but will leave the penalty to the courts.

Its not clear if 'the other guy' the new keeper or the original seller?
Has the car been recovered yet?

If the other guy is the new keeper, and he has been out and about in it they may not have had chance to see him. Ok, it will flag up on ANPR (if he goes anywhere near one), that still relies on the police being somewhere near when he does in order to stop him.

If the other guy is the original seller then there is no rush as such to go and see him. The officer in the case (OIC) will work shifts, so may have been going off work at the time of the report and may even be on their 4 days off now. Its a long process, so give it chance.

Another thought could be that the original seller may have also bought it off someone, so could also be a victim for all you know.

Yet another scenario to consider, how did he pinch it with keys AND document? A possibility could be that he paid by cheque that has bounced. He may not even be aware of this fact, so may still be an honest mistake.

Give the investigation chance to run its course.

Last edited:
Just a waiting game at the moment. I am hopeful that as/when something happens the officer dealing with it will contact us. Perhaps naive of me though, not sure to be honest

The police are not a debt collecting agency, so they wont get the money back.
They will deal the person for theft and deception, but will leave the penalty to the courts.

Its not clear if 'the other guy' the new keeper or the original seller?
Has the car been recovered yet?

If the other guy is the new keeper, and he has been out and about in it they may not have had chance to see him. Ok, it will flag up on ANPR (if he goes anywhere near one), that still relies on the police being somewhere near when he does in order to stop him.

If the other guy is the original seller then there is no rush as such to go and see him. The officer in the case (OIC) will work shifts, so may have been going off work at the time of the report and may even be on their 4 days off now. Its a long process, so give it chance.

Another thought could be that the original seller may have also bought it off someone, so could also be a victim for all you know.

Yet another scenario to consider, how did he pinch it with keys AND document? A possibility could be that he paid by cheque that has bounced. He may not even be aware of this fact, so may still be an honest mistake.

Give the investigation chance to run its course.

The message left last night sounded as though the guy who bought it from me has not been visited yet, exact words were 'when they get round to seeing him' as I guess this is a fairly minor/low priority case for them to be fair

This is what I'm expecting.

Quick post to say I have heard nothing, from anyone

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom