Looking for Sky advice

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by lechacal, Sep 29, 2001.

1. lechacal

lechacal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    I've just cancelled my Telewest AD subscription (not before time), and I'm looking at getting Sky Digital installed.

Please could someone give me some advice on the best way to go about it. I've seen the free deal, but friends tell me you have to put up with the permanent phone connection and you might not get a decent STB. I've seen some people suggesting looking for 2nd hand STBs on eBay in Usenet groups.

What's the best way to go about getting hooked up. I don't mind paying for the installation if I'm better off in the long run.

(Seems strange owning a box instead of renting it)

2. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

3. lechacal

lechacal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    Thanks DD.<br />Do you post to the DVDDebate forum?

4. Chippy99

Chippy99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +518
    Hi DD, I'm a complete newbie here, though we have "met" on uk.media.home-cinema.

What's this "permanently connected phone line for 12 months" bit all about? I really don't know how it works.

Does that really mean I have to have it plugged in 24x7x365? Or can I just unplug it and forget about it? I don't understand - perhaps you can explain?

Thanks,

Chip

5. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have posted to DVD Debate but not frequently. <br />---

Chippy, i thought it may have been you on the newsgroups. Nice to see you in here too.

The digibox is connected to your phoneline in the same way a computer modem is. It is meant to be in 24/7/365. I removed mine almost straight away but once a month i used to reconnect it overnight and then disconnect it again in the morning. After the 12 months was up, i stopped connecting it. I am now coming to the end of my third year. Never had a problem.

It is there for you to use email, order box office, some of the games and other misc dial ups. None of these are compulsary and if you don't use them you don't need to have the phoneline connected.

6. KAO

KAO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't forget that if you don't keep it connected to the phone line for 12 months you are in breach of contract, and Sky could charge you the full amount for the digibox.