Quantcast

Looking for SCART cable advice

Kammando90

Novice Member
So I have a video player that has Composite and SCART output, my understanding is composite is the worst picture and SCART (RGB output!?) is the better signal. I don't have a TV that accepts SCART, my questions is am I better off buying a SCART->Component, SCART->HDMI, or SCART->S-video? Which gives the better original signal? Or should I use a regular SCART cable and some sort of a converter unit to Component/S-Video/HDMI?

Note I am not looking for an upscaler or HD converter.

davemurgatroyd2

Distinguished Member
What make and model of video player? Many players {particularly VCRs) with a scart socket do not output RGB from the socket. Note also that if the player is a VHS player the composite is already capable of better quality than actually on the tape.

Whay make and model of TV? Virtually all modern TVs have an AV input of some kind which is composite video.

See also these two threads

Last edited:

winston2010

There are no such things as scart to component, HDMI, or s-video. There is no available information on a scart to generate better definition. You can get scart to composite or just use the composite output on the video player.

Kammando90

Novice Member
What make and model of video player? Many players {particularly VCRs) with a scart socket do not output RGB from the socket. Note also that if the player is a VHS player the composite is already capable of better quality than actually on the tape.

Whay make and model of TV? Virtually all modern TVs have an AV input of some kind which is composite video.

See also these two threads
Thank you for your reply, its actually a LaserDisc player. I will look at the threads you provided. Much appreciated.

There are no such things as scart to component, HDMI, or s-video. There is no available information on a scart to generate better definition. You can get scart to composite or just use the composite output on the video player.
not better signal, a signal converter.

Vila

With analogue video sources and connectors you often had a difference between what the connector was and what the signal was.

So a scart cable could have a composite signal a S-video signal or RGB signal

Thank you for your reply, its actually a LaserDisc player. I will look at the threads you provided. Much appreciated.
Although very high quality for its time the signal on a laserdisc was still a composite signal.

Some higher end players had S Video output on them but it was only advantageous to use this if the comb filter in the player was better that the comb filter in the display - with most modern players, it wont be.

Does the laserdisc player not have a single photo composite video out? (Most did)

If not your probably best getting a scart to composite video cable

Top Bottom