Looking for sat receiver for use in France

renaud

Novice Member
Hi. I'm english, been living in France for many years. I currently have a Humax Foxsat HDR satellite receiver, getting Freesat channels. It's now getting a bit old, and I am looking for a replacement.
I would like something 4K compatible and have recording facility (either HD built in, or able to be added). The only satellite channels I'm really interested in are on Astra 28.2. I'm happy to program/tune myself, so doesn't have to be a Freesat compatible model. But I would also like to be able to receive local (i.e. French) tv channels via roof antenna (i.e. not satellite), and be able to record them from an EPG.
I have looked at something like the VU+ 4K Duo SE, plus hard disk, but with the DVB-T tuner as well as DVB-S.
The model I think would fit the bill would be the VU+ Duo 4K SE BT 1x DVB-S2X FBC Twin / 1x DVB-T2 Dual Tuner.
Am I right in thinking this will do everything I want?
Only thing is that this comes in at 459 euros, which seems expensive. I'm sure there are other options available that are cheaper, but don't mind paying the 459 euros, if it's worth it.
Your comments are welcome. Thanks.

Last edited:

Fred Smith

The Freesat EPG is broadcast from 28.2/5 east not 19.2 deg east, so don't understand your comment which you have now edited:

"The only satellite channels I'm really interested in are on Astra 19. I'm happy to program/tune myself, so doesn't have to be a Freesat compatible model."

Last edited:

logiciel

Is Freesat involved or not?

renaud

Novice Member
Hi Fred Smith, sorry my mistake. I've edited my post to read 28.2.

Just to clarify, my current dish is pointed at 28.2. Reception is very good.

I'm not really interested in the current Freesat PVR boxes, made by Arris.

gibbletts

Do you have any experience with enigma 2 sat boxes or know anyone who has because they involve a bit more effort to setup than a freesat box, they're not impossible to do but can be a bit complex for the beginner. That being said if you're prepared to do some reading on forums you'll be fine. As for cheaper options look at zgemma but if you want a premium build quality vu+ are worth the extra cash.

renaud

Novice Member
Hi gibbletts, thanks for your response.
I don't have experience with enigma 2 sat boxes, but I have already done some reading about them. I'm happy to take the effort of setting up. I'm reasonably computer literate, and build my own pc's. So technical things are daunting for me. It's just that the satellite equipment market is new to me, and I've no experince/knowledge of the brands involved.
I had also seen that zgemma have a model with similar features, but at a fraction of the price of the VU+. You say that the VU+ are 'premium build quality', and I must admit they do have a smarter more 'premium' look. I don't mind paying a premium price for a premium product, but there is a huge difference in price. Is there also benefits to the VU+ in terms of specs, ease of use etc?
Thanks for your help.

gibbletts

Zgemma are the bargain basement in satellite terms they're a cheap Chinese brand but have the functionality the same as all enigma 2. I've had both makes and th vu+ are better bit it depends on if you want to pay the extra, their is also gigablue which are a decent make but cheaper than vu+, personally my advice would to go with the cheap zgemma and get used to enigma 2 see if you like it then maybe upgrade later if you feel the need, you could then use the zgemma on a second tv in fallback mode connected to your main box over via WiFi enabling to watch different channels on 2 tvs if you so desire.

JonMace

One of the big differences between them is that both the VU and Gigablue have FBC tuners where the Zgemma does not.

With a FBC tuner you get 8 totally independent tuners rather than the single or duel that most receivers give you, but for it to work fully you need a unicable II LNB.

Personally I have a Gigablue UHD UE it works out about 1/2 the price of the VU and a great bit of kit

renaud

Novice Member
Thanks 'gibbletts' and 'JonMace'. Very helpful replies. I will certainly have a look at the Gigablue, and check the price difference.
Any more comments would be most welcome, from anyone.

pascoa341

Are the current enigma boxes any easier than those sold 10 years ago to get freesat running? I tried 10 years ago, but in the end could not be asked to read up enough to make it work. Now, with children, I have even less time, I want a (nearly) plug and play solution. What other things would I need to do (on a regular basis) to get all freesat channels sorted in a nice order and epg, so that I can happily record programmes and all the simple stuff (I may try to stream bbc 5 live at a later pointin time, but am not really missing it now).

I fear it will still be too difficult to setup and maintain, and as such I will have to settle for the Arris freesat box, but am a bit worried, it will feel like a downgrade from my trusty Samsung a7800 freesat box, which I really like.

JonMace

Takes me about 10 mins to set up an Enigma2 box including setting up my favourite channels, no real maintenance. It really comes down to how Techy you are, and use openvix it comes with everything you need already installed

gibbletts

Are the current enigma boxes any easier than those sold 10 years ago to get freesat running? I tried 10 years ago, but in the end could not be asked to read up enough to make it work. Now, with children, I have even less time, I want a (nearly) plug and play solution. What other things would I need to do (on a regular basis) to get all freesat channels sorted in a nice order and epg, so that I can happily record programmes and all the simple stuff (I may try to stream bbc 5 live at a later pointin time, but am not really missing it now).

I fear it will still be too difficult to setup and maintain, and as such I will have to settle for the Arris freesat box, but am a bit worried, it will feel like a downgrade from my trusty Samsung a7800 freesat box, which I really like.
They're not plug and play and you may need the help of a forum occasionally, I'd say if you looked at them 10 years ago and decided they weren't for you then the same would apply today the basic setup of the boxes is the same and if your current box does what you need it to I don't see the point in changing unless your current box dies. What makes you want to change just out of interest?

pascoa341

Thanks for the answers. Our current box is dying, as it now gives Blue Screens of Death on a regular basis. I would normally probably go for a 'normal' freesat box as it the most plug and play (which is what I would have done, had the Humax boxes still been the freesat staple.

The Arris boxes are still not working great apparently, so that more or less makes me want to try a different box (also, other boxes are much easier to get on continental Europe, of course). However, both my partner and two children will also need to work with it, in a very simple way, so that means I fear I may have to bite the Arris bullet.

gibbletts

To be fair once you've got it set up they are simple to use, but unlike a freesat box you need to do some initial setup it's not really that difficult but I do understand it looks technical and is not as easy as a freesat box but if you just follow the steps in a methodical manner it's not that difficult. I'd recommend going to Satellite Support Forum .: Home of VIX Team:. it's a great forum and they can help you get started, if you start reading up now while you're current box is still functioning you'll be ready to go when you need to, failing that Arris it is.

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom