1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking for reviews of Philips 26/32PF5520D

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by mince bigalow, Aug 29, 2005.

1. mince bigalow

mince bigalow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all, I can't find any good reviews on the Philips 26" or 32" PF5520D. Does anyone know of any that I could read? Also any opinions on it would be appreciated.

Thanks

2. Gizmoboy

Gizmoboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This months "What Video & Widescreen TV" has a review. 4/5 overall - apparently let down my poor contrast (poorer black levels) and motion smearing. Might be worth buying the mag! I would never rely on just the one review though!

Gizmo

3. mince bigalow

mince bigalow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cool, thanks mate. To be honest I saw a little bit of smearing when I tried it in the shop with Tony Hawk Underground 2, but couldn't see any with Doom 3. Also yeah, the black level was not as good as the best sets, but I thought it would just need some calibration.

Anyone else got any others?

4. Gizmoboy

Gizmoboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Try this link as well. You'll probably be more interested in the second page.

http://reviews.cnet.co.uk/televisions/0,39030218,39191100,00.htm

Gizmo

5. mince bigalow

mince bigalow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that mate, was very informative. Not sure why I couldn't find that one while searching??? So basically the set is good but has no picture processing to sort out the freeview compression/scaling. I'm really not sure between this and the Samsung, I've kind of ordered both!

6. Gizmoboy

Gizmoboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When are you expecting them delivered? Look forward to your thoughts/input.

Gizmo

7. mince bigalow

mince bigalow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Basically I got the ball rolling on sunday to get a Samsung from Empire Direct on finance, they said it would take up to 10 days for it to be approved before sending me paperwork etc. Then today I saw the Philips in Coop and had 25% off voucher for today only (some bank holiday weekend thing with scratchcards), so had to think quick. So I got it on 0% credit and it'll be instore for me to collect on tuesday next week. As far as I can tell I can cancel the Sammy with no probs, and will have 30 days to take back the Philips from when I collect it.

Here are the prices I got each for (note the Sammy is 32" and Philips is 26". We decided that maybe a 26" would be better, I can of course change the Sammy order to 26" if I like):

Sammy 32" £831 inc del
    Philips 26" £711 with free PET700 7" portable DVD player

and for comparison I can get the Sammy 26" for £620 inc del.

I'm afraid I won't be able to have both of them together, although I'd love to, so couldn't give a comparative review. Perhaps someone with the Samsung in the Brighton area would like to get together and we could make a comparison, post pics etc?

8. mince bigalow

mince bigalow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I bought this months What Video and Widescreen TV becuase it has reviews of both the Philips and the Samsung. Have to say it's a much better mag than What Hi Fi!

The review of the Philips said basically what I've been thinking about the set, that the smearing because the of the 18ms response time is not good, the connections for component and vga are stupid! And the black level/contrast is not great (600:1). It got 4 stars

For comparison the Samsung has good black levels, but sometimes whites are too bright (rather have this than poor blacks though). The processing is meant to be very good, and the connectivity is excellent. It got 5 starts, and the mag said "Samsung has redefined what can be expected of a £1200 LCD TV"

I'm still a little concerned about the tearing though, and the new load of problems people have been having, although 5 out of probably hundreds of users on this forum isn't that bad.

I think I'll end up taking the Philips back and going for the Samsung, I've found the 32" freeview version for £855 inc del with 12months 0% credit. The good thing is I can see if the 26" Philips is too small and decide on a 26" or 32" Sammy.