Answered Looking for recommendations on all in one speaker

leeb-1977

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

All of my family have Sonos Play: 1 speakers dotted around the place and wifey has suggested we get one for our house.

However, I'm wondering if Sonos is the best one to suit my needs and thought id ask for a little advice.

My basic requirements:

High Volume (we don't have neighbours and the mrs will assume that one small speaker is fine to blast her crap out of and listen all over the house), id rather get something with plenty of balls if I can, to cope with the abuse that she will no doubt throw in its direction. The poor thing will have to cope with Rhianna screeching and anything else that is in rotation on crapital radio at ear shattering volume.

Decent sound quality - preferably high quality lossless - but in truth I'm prepared to move on this one as the play:1 speaker doesn't sound that bad to my ear. The Sonos doesn't seem all that great when it comes to bass but its something we could live with.

Internet radio - either via the system itself or the app.

Preferably Bluetooth connection / aux in as a backup. (Non essential)

Easy to use app. Preferably something that I can use my own purchased library with as I have thousands of purchased tracks to go at, as well as napster and spotify premium. (Essential)

Support for audible / audiobook playback. (Essential)

Multiroom support. I have no plans to build a multiroom system at the moment, but having the option to do so at a later date would be nice - although not essential.

Price wise I'm looking at upto around £250... so the Play:3 is a stretch - but an option, that said - I assumed that there would be alternative wifi all in one units that were worth considering. I should point out that if I can get something decent for less then I'll be well up for that.

I want to strike while the iron is hot on this one so thanks for the replies ;)

Last edited:
Does it need to be a single speaker. A set of JBL 305 lsr with a Chromecast would do what you need admirably

Can't edit above, trond do aptx Bluetooth receivers as an option to Chromecast

ideally a single matey as aesthetically that's what she wants. She doesnt like spending money so while the door is open im taking advantage. We have a small shelf that she wants to utilise :)

Also - it'd be nice to have the portability that a single speaker brings :)

Anyone had experience with the Denon HEOS 3?

Seems to tick a few of my boxes. Whats it like in comparison to the Sonos 3?

and while im here - whats the HEOS 1 like in comparison to the Sonos 1? They seem to have comparable features from what I see - is one of them punchier than the other in terms of volume output?

Naim has a great all in one speaker that sounds like a full system rather than a small all in one. Quite pricey and out of budget but is very good. Can get a free 90 day trial at home.

Really is in a different league to the Sonos line up.

Naim Mu-So

The only benefit Sonos and Heos have is it's multi room function.

Wow - looks ace but it smashes my budget apart!

Multiroom isn't a sticking point for me - just a 'nice to have'.... but I cant stretch to £649 unfortunately.

Well.... I can.... but that means obliterating my secret stash - and I need that for a few car mods I have in mind ;)

Wow - looks ace but it smashes my budget apart!

Multiroom isn't a sticking point for me - just a 'nice to have'.... but I cant stretch to £649 unfortunately.

Well.... I can.... but that means obliterating my secret stash - and I need that for a few car mods I have in mind ;)

haha fair enough. I thought as much but thought i'd share as I played with this model at the Bristol show earlier this year and it really is a nice bit of kit.

I bought a B&W Zeppelin at launch for my IPod , never felt the need to upgrade it as a Layen iSync converts it to Bluetooth, though there's a wireless version out now.

I'd be very surprised if you were disappointed with one.

I remember being in JOHN Lewis when a guy asked for an iPod dock , they demo'd a Zeppelin mini that sounded good, then a bit bigger one from someone else that , then a Zeppelin , SOLD

Go for Mission SX-C1 center speaker. It has high quality center channel which gives out the best quality sound.

I think you'll find this is all you'll need from your description and it's at half price now.

CAMBRIDGE AUDIO AIR 200 V2Black Wireless Music System

It's a volume monster and it doesn't get congested. It actually plays music well enough to listen to.

It also has two analogue inputs. Useful perhaps. And of course Bluetooth so it'll play anything your phone or iPad or other tablet can play.

Also available for the same price in white.

Top class stuff sir.

Last edited:
I bought a B&W Zeppelin at launch for my IPod , never felt the need to upgrade it as a Layen iSync converts it to Bluetooth, though there's a wireless version out now.

I'd be very surprised if you were disappointed with one.

I remember being in JOHN Lewis when a guy asked for an iPod dock , they demo'd a Zeppelin mini that sounded good, then a bit bigger one from someone else that , then a Zeppelin , SOLD

The zeppelin is pretty damned good. But expensive. Worth it if you have the cash though.

I'd still buy the Cambridge as it's much cheaper and any difference in sound quality is quite small; the Cambridge may even shade it.

Go for Mission SX-C1 center speaker. It has high quality center channel which gives out the best quality sound.

Not sure what this means? It's a passive centre speaker... no amplifiers, Bluetooth or inputs of any kind??

I think you'll find this is all you'll need from your description and it's at half price now.

CAMBRIDGE AUDIO AIR 200 V2Black Wireless Music System

It's a volume monster and it doesn't get congested. It actually plays music well enough to listen to.

It also has two analogue inputs. Useful perhaps. And of course Bluetooth so it'll play anything your phone or iPad or other tablet can play.

Also available for the same price in white.

Top class stuff sir.

Great call - last night I'd convinced myself to go for the Denon Heos 3... or perhaps a pair of 1's, because the Air's were out of my league - but at that price ive just called Richer Sounds in Birmingham and arranged to go and collect the last one they have in Stock on Saturday :))

I've not heard one of these yet - but I'm sure it'll blow the sonos play:1 that she wants out of the water and has enough balls behind it to cope with all the cRapital she can throw its way!

The only thing I really like about the Sonos is how easy the android app is to use. Just hope the Cambridge one is as easy, and able to take as many sources.... well, spotify, Apple Music and Napster at least

ooh might have found a sticking point on the Cambridge....

The appeal of the sonos system is that when we have used my brothers at a party - we can all connect our phones and just keep adding music throughout the night, Ive just read on a user review that the Cambridge system will only connect to one phone at a time. Can anyone confirm this?

Ive come up with another requirement!

It would be nice to use the phone / app as controller for the system only. Basically so I can set up a playlist for the mrs and kids and then bugger off out - safe in the knowledge that the playlist is still going strong even without the presence of my phone.

....or have multiple phones with access to a spotify / napster playlist so the unit is not dependant on one.

Thoughts?

Not sure what this means? It's a passive centre speaker... no amplifiers, Bluetooth or inputs of any kind??
Since you mentioned about smaller option I suggested it. Perhaps you can try this -- "Bedroom Karaoke Speakers and Amplifier Bluetooth Wired Mics USB/SD/Bluetooth"..I came across on eBay. Thought it would be useful for you. Hope it meets your requirements.

Ended up sticking with the Cambridge audio I had reserved and picked it up this afternoon.

Early impressions:

Setup was easy. Others I've seen have moaned that you need a laptop to connect the unit to your home wifi network, personally I did everything through my phone and had it on my network in minutes.

Sound quality - clear, crisp with satisfying levels of bass. Very impressed.

Volume / power output : not pushed it all the way but it's certainly got some balls to it!

App: a bit crap. Although I've not spent any real time with it. And I dont know how many services I can stream to the unit over wifi. On the face of things it looks like radio and Spotify - no sign of other providers being linked into the app. However... the app is functional and I dare say my opinion may shift over the coming days.

Bluetooth setup was easy and the link sounds great.

Overall : very happy and would recommend. ... especially at 200 quid!

Glad you have found a suitable product :smashin:

Sometimes it is hard to find a product that meets all your requirements.

I do not think the Sonos is a bad product by any means; however is definitely designed with aesthetics and convenience as a priority. The irony is it's the reason it has become so successful.

Ultimately, it's all about what works for you as a consumer. A lot of the time this is missed at your local high street store. Thank god for AVforums :D

Exactly mate. Sonos is a great product for what it is... I just wanted a little more.

That said, I do wish the CA app was even half as good as the sonos one. I haven't spent a great deal of time with it so I may be wrong... but it looks like Spotify is my only option as a streaming source at the min.

But yeah... thank god for avf!! :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom