Question Looking for recommendations for ATMOS setup

WiNG C

Novice Member
Reaction score
Greetings fellow AVForums users.

Like many of you before me, I now own a place I can call my own and wish to have my little corner for entertainment and as such I want to make my own setup, in this case ATMOS setup. Despite having read a few threads in AVForums, I am far from an expert, so bear with me if I make some silly assumptions or simply lack the knowledge at some things.

First, the things I can confirm:
- I already have a LG OLED B7, which is excellent and is able to send Atmos through DD+ on ARC
- My other media source is an Xbox One X I already have as well
- I want to have a setup as hidden as possible. That means no cables laying around or sticked to the walls. I will get every cable possible behind the walls

What I am aiming for:
- ATMOS setup with ceiling speakers, not floor speakers that redirect sound
- Decent stereo music quality if possible. Multiroom on the AMP is a plus in that regard
- Hopefully not being too noisy, as I have neighbourgs. Any recommendation on how to reduce the noise outside this room would really be great
- The "sweet spot". Money well invested, without overdoing or falling terribly short. It's hard, I know, hence I am looking for recommendations.
- Ideally, things that can be purchased in "sets". I mean, in my head, and this might be an incorrect assumption on my part, if all speakers are from the same manufacturer and same set, they should be balanced out of the box, making less of a hassle to set them up.

So, if I am not mistaken, and please correct me if I am wrong, to complete the setup I need the following:
- Receiver. With ATMOS support and that is able to received ATMOS DD+ through ARC. It would be great if it had a secondary HDMI out. My plan is to plug the Xbox One X to the receiver, receiver sends signal to TV or my computer monitor through the secondary HDMI out rather than setting up a split within the XBX and the TV/monitor. I believe most modern receivers are also capable to auto-configure themselves for the best possible audio output and such thing is a big plus for me
- Speakers. Since making holes in the walls and ceilings will be more complicated in the future, I'd like to get the speakers right if possible at first try. I understand ATMOS shines it's best at 7.1.4? If that's so, then that's what I am aiming for. In-Ceiling speakers are preferred
- Decent wiring and wall plates: I am really illiterate about all these, so any kind of help on things to look for is really appreciated. I suppose it is something as basic as 2-way lines for each speaker and back to a central wall plate that conects everything back to the receiver, but better be sure than sorry.

Sadly, no reliable Hi-fi around my area to check with, or to be able to listen to some demos, hence I am begging the community for their experience

Thanks in advance

Room/Room Layout - do you have a floor plan showing screen position, seating, doors, windows etc?

In-wall/In-ceiling - to minimise sound leakage into adjoining rooms/property you will be having to add Sound/Fire hoods to each Loudspeaker.

Multi-room AVR - many have limitations on which Sources are available in Zone B, they are often limited to Stereo Sources connected via 2RCA.

AVR Setup - most will come with some form of Auto configuration which sets Loudspeaker Size distance etc others have more complex ‘room correction’, all of them are capable of screwing it up so being able to manually override the settings is useful too.

Budget - any thoughts on what it may be and what it has to cover?

Joe

Room/Room Layout - do you have a floor plan showing screen position, seating, doors, windows etc?

I'll aim to provide it when I get out from work. Exact meassures needed or just a general layout will do?

In-wall/In-ceiling - to minimise sound leakage into adjoining rooms/property you will be having to add Sound/Fire hoods to each Loudspeaker.

Never heard of the hoods before. They certainly seem a good idea. Thanks!

Multi-room AVR - many have limitations on which Sources are available in Zone B, they are often limited to Stereo Sources connected via 2RCA.

So, if I understood correctly, I would need a separate audio player, connected throuh Stereo in to play in a different room? I was hoping I could just stream internet radio / USB HDD / Local network storage to my bedroom to replace my old Squeezebox (which is dead). I am not looking for a full TV/Xbox stream for room B

Budget - any thoughts on what it may be and what it has to cover?Joe

Initially, I am thinking on 1000-1500€ range for the receiver and speakers. I assume cabling and other things will punch probably a hundred extra or slightly more. In a more broad sense, I am not the most purist audiophile, but I can appreciate the difference between a cheap setup and a decent one

Layout - a general layout will be adequate.

Multi-zone - most AVR's will allow onboard streaming sources to be delivered to Zone 2, many have limitations when it comes to external Sources connected via a Digital connection (HDMI, Optical or Coaxial) which catches folk out if they have an HDMI Source they want to 'hear' in a second Zone. Specify what you require then find a suitable AVR.

Budget - keep in mind the more you try to squeeze out of the budget the less you have to spend 'per channel' and not all channels in a system get the same 'use' so diluting your budget to achieve 'Atmos' can have a big impact on its capabilities as a Stereo system and also on the quality of the front LCR Speakers (which carry 90% of a Movie Soundtrack). You may want to consider 'wiring' for 7.1.4 but actually installing a 5.1 system with the option to add additional Loudspeakers as funds allow.

Joe

Attaching my expected room plans. At the moment I am yet still to purchase all furniture, so I added grey spaces using Ikea's dimensions for reference. Things could still go front and back still a bit. Also, the furniture below the TV position can still be splitted in two sections to allow space for tall speakers from the ground if needed. The door will be closed in "multimedia mode". The TV will be mounted on an extensible wall support. I am currently considering the DQ reach XXL 101 cm, which would also allow me to pivot the TV to the other "zone" of the room when needed

I know it is not a very big room or the best of positions to have everything at, but it's what I have

Attachments

• room-schematic.png
    room-schematic.png
    78.2 KB · Views: 50
Layout - creating any form of Surround Sound effect is difficult when you have a lop sided layout.

Space - is relatively tight, I would be wary of trying to squeeze too many loudspeakers into your space.

'Base Layer' - you could wire for a full compliment of Loudspeakers to achieve 5.1.2 and then start out with an AVR plus 2.0, 2.1 or 2.1.2 speaker system and if required build on that at a later date.

Joe

Layout - creating any form of Surround Sound effect is difficult when you have a lop sided layout.

I know. Sadly, it's going to be the case. It will be imperfect, but I doubt I can do it any other way. I am considering through the weekend other options for the general layout of the room, but there's going to be some asymetry no matter what

Space - is relatively tight, I would be wary of trying to squeeze too many loudspeakers into your space.

'Base Layer' - you could wire for a full compliment of Loudspeakers to achieve 5.1.2 and then start out with an AVR plus 2.0, 2.1 or 2.1.2 speaker system and if required build on that at a later date.

Joe

My main concern is getting all the wall holes done, as it's a mess to do them later. The first issue would be the celing speakers, but seems you believe getting more than two up is going to be overkill. Side ones would be easier to do as I can probably use the holes for the back ones and just get more cable distance under the furniture

Layout - most folk have to live with a non perfect layout.

Holes - not always readily available but you can purchase In-ceiling and In-wall 'grille' kits which allow you to make the cut-out and fill it with a relatively inexpensive trim plus grille which can then be replaced with an actual loudspeaker at a later date.

Speakers - too many in a room can quickly result in 'congested' sound which makes dialogue difficult to follow.

Joe

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom