looking for recommendation for HD recorder solution to ditch SKY HD box

5tan

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi All,
looking for suggestions & guidance . . mainly towards a good HDR with dual HDMI o/p (with ability to be controlled remotely).

Mainly for time shift & series link recording/viewing - no desire for any long term retention.

I am wanting to ditch my SKY TV package . . . as it's too expensive and no longer provide the sports coverage that I desire (mainly Cricket).

I'm looking for a single HDR solution, with good internet streaming capabilities.

My current situation has 1 x Sky Plus box cable to 2 x TV's
(a) downstairs lounge - LG 50" Plasma, connected via SCART. (HDR will need to also be located in downstairs lounge)
(b) upstairs bedroom - Hitatchi 21" LED, connected via HDMI & remote controlled via RF Magic Eye.

. . . so looking for a solution to utilise the current situation, without any significant cable replacements if possible.
- Single HDR box, with 2 x HDMI o/p (want to avoid a 2 box solution - not down to cost !)
- Happy to install a new (2 mtr) HDMI from HDR to TV (both downstairs)
- Don't really want to replace/change cabling to upstairs (1 x RF & 1 x HDMI cables).

both TV's do have freeview, LG 50" Plasma has some limited internet connectivity, but need something with decent catch up & streaming (currently use Sky + for most catch up & have to use Nintendo Wi for Netflicks !)

any guidance is appreciated,

regards,
5tan,

Last edited:
— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Thanks Graham Thompson for the advice and the hyperlinks.

I've done quite a bit more research and have decided to purchase a Humax FVP-5000T + Humax H3 smart video streaming box to achieve the multi room function.

Not arrived, so not installed and working yet, but did speak to Humax tech support prior to purchase and am confident it's a good solution for me.

Regards,
5tan

Thanks Graham Thompson for the advice and the hyperlinks.

I've done quite a bit more research and have decided to purchase a Humax FVP-5000T + Humax H3 smart video streaming box to achieve the multi room function.

Not arrived, so not installed and working yet, but did speak to Humax tech support prior to purchase and am confident it's a good solution for me.

Regards,
5tan

I have a 2TB FVP-5000T. Be aware you can only stream SD recordings from this box. You can stream SD to a tablet or smart phone. Two second hand HDR-FOX-T2's one at each location would be a better option especially if you put the Custom Firmware on both units. Even without the CF you can view all recordings made on one on the other and vice versa. The FVP-5000T UI is a bit slow and the supplied remote is very weak incidentally.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom