Looking for quick answer (extended warenty)

tonyt3rry

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi I bought a samsung 40" lcd on the 31st of dec 08, Comet are asking for 175 for insurance for just 3 years cover, Just looking for advice should I fork out the money evan tho most places charge 10% of the original tv price for 5 years, I only work part time and earn roughly £450 and have to pay bills.

replys apreciated :)

thanks bud, I read something about persuading retailers into fixing tv's from quoting sales of good act and warn you will take legal action about it etc

Hi I bought a samsung 40" lcd on the 31st of dec 08, Comet are asking for 175 for insurance for just 3 years cover, Just looking for advice should I fork out the money evan tho most places charge 10% of the original tv price for 5 years, I only work part time and earn roughly £450 and have to pay bills.

replys apreciated :)

If you can get a £500 tele insured for 5 years for £50.00. Tell me where!

I got 5 yr warranty for a grand total of £0.00 ;) after some negotiation!

I posted this about the Sale of Goods act in the Plasma section but it is of course relevant here.

Under the Sale of Goods Act the responsibility is with the retailer to deal with any claim for up to six years after the sale. Within six months of the purchase you do not have to prove that the fault existed at the time of purchase. After 6 months the burden of proof moves to the purchaser. A TV would be expected to last at least 5 years therefore you can claim for a repair, exchange or compensation. Failure of a key internal part such as the picture processing board after a short period would represent a reasonable claim under the Sale of Goods Act section on durability. Manufacturers have no obligation to supply any warranty and do it for good customer relations and a way to obtain marketing information (you always have to fill in some kind of survey with the warranty registration). Remember that your redress is always with the seller and not the manufacturer (unless you purchased it direct from the Mfr). The seller cannot fob you off with saying it's the manufacturer's responsibility there's nothing they can do about the problem. So long as you are reasonable and not trying to pull a fast one it is very likely you will win any reasonable claim under the law.

Last edited:
Richer Sounds do 5 year cover for 10% of purchase price.

This may be a good deal but not the norm.

I contacted richer sounds to buy a 42" Samsung with a five year warranty. They said the only 42" tele we have in is a Sony do you want that. Great stock levels! I think not.
I found that although their warranty's are cheap their tele's aren't.
They will do a price match with a 5 year warranty, But not without.
Also you can find that a cheap warranty has so many clauses that you might as well not have one.
:)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom