1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking for projector heaven! advice sought

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by stew007, Jan 23, 2004.

1. stew007

stew007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    HI there,

I’m new to front projectors but experienced to a point on cinema systems, need advice from all you savvy enthusiasts

The story so far, I had a 46” Phillips RPTV which had an excellent picture, but sadly it died last week only after 3 yrs, I have all surround sound amps, speakers etc.

Instead of another RPTV I am thinking of getting a front projector. It will also be used as the main TV in the living room so brightness will be a small issue. Can anyone recommend a projector based on the following requirements?

Max cost New OR Second hand/Reconditioned £1500 ex screen
    Viewing distance: 3.5 meters
    Size of 16:9 screen: no more than 60 inches
    For using as a TV and cinema 50/50
    Needs to have reasonably good brightness, (but I’m not expecting miracles)
    Can easily be serviced if it goes tits up.
    Great contrast, bright colours and good blacks again I’m not expecting miracles.
    CRT/LCD/DLP all will be considered, but picture quality and brightness comes first.

I have read a review of the Mitsubishi HC3 and a few others but I’m a total newbie and as yet have not a clue! Looking for something that stands out in value from the crowd.

Any tips or advice on what’s the dogs danglies new or Second-hand for up to £1500 would be most appreciated.

Stew.

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Z2, AE500, H56 (S/H)etc etc have a search mate.

3. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    For £1500 you'll not get a pj with 'good' brightness that's decent for home cinema .. the cheaper ones that are bright tend to be for presentation work rather than movie viewing.

That said, I suppose it depends on one's definition of 'bright' .. the Z2 and AE500 are okay in a totally light-controlled environment but anything other than trivial ambient lighting quickly washes out the picture and blacks, which are only ever dark greys on LCDs, turn to mid-greys.

4. VirusKiller

VirusKiller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    And a 60" screen is quite small so any PJ will appear brighter than for, say a 6' wide screen.

5. stew007

stew007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks for all the replies dudes, the Z2, AE500 are within my reach no probs.