Looking for Progressive DVD Recorder with HDD, Freeview and HDMI

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by doncoolio, Jul 14, 2005.

1. doncoolio

doncoolio

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I'm looking for a DVD Recorder that has:

- Progressive Playback
    - Freeview Tuner
    - HDMI Connection
    - HDD Recording
    - DVD Recording

I've been looking around and can only find this:

http://www.avland.co.uk/sony/rdrhxd1010/rdrhxd1010.htm

Any one know of any alternative with the above features?

2. Roger G Cam

Roger G Cam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There is only one DVD Recorder with a freeview Tner available now - it is a Sony and it doesn't have a HD.

In September - or soon after - a number of manufacturers will be producing new HD DVDR's with Freeview Tuners. They will be looking at the Xmas market.

So there isn't anything aavailable now that meets your criteria.

Why not think a bit wider - there are other products available now - why not fill in and then come back for the whole shebang middle of next year. By then you might be able to get a Freeview Tuner with VoD - BT and Microsoft. Or a PVR with a DVD Burner (? Anyone).

One thought as I write - would a media centre do it? Looks like a PC but you can stick it in your living room - has a HD which will take just about aanything and you ought to be able to burn to DVD?

Roger

3. doncoolio

doncoolio

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK, what if i got all of the above without a freeview box and plugged the freview into the recorder.

My scenario is that I have a projector (or soon will when it arrives) and want to connect it via HDMI. Id rather not have to run another cable should I want to watch TV on the projector, so is there a recorder that will take an external source and then pass it through the HDMI?

A thought I have had is I could record what I want to watch and then play it back whilst it is recording and hence acheive this. :clap:

Any thoughts?

4. Petrushka

Petrushka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    There are no DVD/HD recorders with a decent input. No HDMI input and no component. So whichever way you'd want to connect your gear, you'll loose the High Def stuff. (I am supposing that your propjector does HD TV).

What you can do is either use a separate HDMI switcher, which will effectively give yoiu multiple HDMI inputs on your projector. However, that does not give you a way to record whatever you are watching.

Alternatively, you may want to look at a HDMI switching AV receiver which will allow you to connect whaterver sources you have and also connect a DVD/HD recorder. However, again you have no decent connection into your recorder so you'll loose the HD stuff again when you are recording.

In brief: The abovementioned Sony 1010 might be the best solution (expecially because of the built-in freeview thing), or wait for Panasonic to wake up and come with a well featured thing.

5. bradavon78

bradavon78

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +133
    There is a Pioneer also but it doesn't have a HD either.

They maybe possible if you watch while recording or flick to the scart channel while the DVD recorder is on (the scart on the DVD Recorder).

It won't work as loop through though to get Freeview on your TV as HDMI and scart aren't compatible.

It wouldn't matter if there was. Only the Netgem IPlayer has component outputs and that is only in interlaced component anyway.

Your best bet it RGB scart from the Freeview box into the DVD Recorder and output to HDMI but you may have to do this while the DVD Recorder is switched ON. I'll be finding out when I also buy a DVD Recorder but I'll be using the Component outputs on the DVD Recorder as my HDMI socket on my TV is taken up with my DVD Player.

Only the top of the range Panasonic has these 3 currently and it's nearly a grand.

6. Petrushka

Petrushka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Afaik even the top range DVD&HD recorders of Panasonic does not have HDMI output. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Currently there is just nothing with those specs except the Pioneer DVR-920. The Panasonic E500 has merely component out and supports 480p maximum. The Pioneer does a max of 576p... :eek:

7. doncoolio

doncoolio

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK, what about this:

http://www.electricshop.com/invt/4068tos113346a

I still have to wait till septemeber and there is no freeview but I can use the record and playback trick I mentioned and the price is much more reasonable. I don't want to be spending out a grand on stuff that will be obsolete in a year.

Thanks for all your suggestions, I'm adding these to the list.

8. J/C

J/C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20

The Sony RDR-HX 910 from Pixmania.com
    also has the above features.£480 (in stock).

9. Petrushka

Petrushka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    The RDR-HX 910 does not have HDMI and also doesn't have freeview.

10. doncoolio

doncoolio

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK, i'm getting the feelling I'm ahead of my time here and I'm gonna be paying a fortune and waiting months for all these features to then only be buying the first one from the mill which will be pants compared to one which is more mature. (obviously this is a presumption). Not to mention that a few months after that we'll probably start seeing hi def dvd players and hence another upgrade.

I've decided to be patient and wait untill next year to get this ultimate box. In the mean time I'm gonna get a Sumsung HD850 DVD player, much cheaper and has HDMI so at least I can watch my DVD's upscaled hi def. The rest will have to wait :-(

If i'm exceedingly desperate to get TV on PJ then I'll buy an s-video cable to link freeview to PJ.

I so wish my dream machine existed, call me stupid but it seems an obvious combo to make.

11. J/C

J/C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Thanks for that, I was just about to order one,looking at RDR-HXD910 spec.
    Just shows what a difference a "D" makes.Have to wait a few months now.