Looking for processor / love in all the wrong places :)

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by alfdaur, Jan 5, 2012.

1. alfdaur

alfdaur
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Finally got a bigger place and so upgrading the old 2 channel system to a 7.1 (although probably gonna wait a bit for the .1 bit as I'm rapidly running out of cash :))

my system is basically a B&W / Rotel Combo:

2 Rotel poweramps
    RB1070 (for left and right channel)
    RMB1075 (for the 5 other channels)

2 b&w 683 floorstanders

4 b&w CCM817 in ceiling speakers

No center speaker yet, still looking for a used 600 series thing in wenge :) (discontinued finish)

If someone has the time to recomend a good processor for connecting to the 2 poweramps then that would be much appreciated. I am basically looking for something that does:

7 channels of analogue audio in
    HDMI in (and HDMI video out again without too much messing around with the signal)
    Dolby Pro Logic II (DPLIIx would be good as I could then use all 7 speakers)

I'm basically willing to spend enough to make sure that the processor doesn't become a bottleneck in my system (up to a grand-ish?), does anyone have experience with a similar setup/any idea what processor would be a suitable match for the B&W/Rotel thing that I have so far?

(sources would be bluray movies through a player/ MKV files through a media centre / flac audio through a squeezebox3

Any suggestions anyone might have would be much appreciated :)

2. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +480
    You're really in the wrong place (you need the Processors and Poweramp subforum).

At under £1000 you're pretty much limited to the Audiolab 8000AP or something second hand.

Do you want/need High Def audio? An old Arcam AV8 or AV9 is a good choice if not. Or you could try one of the older Rotels such as RSP 1069 for budget HDMI HD Audio.

Eloise

3. bluedroog

bluedroog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,409
    As Sounddog mentions you're in the wrong forum really, hopefully a mod will move it for you and you'll get a better response.

Not really my area but as Sounddog mentions you're quite limited by budget and the Audiolab is one, I think your others options will be the Emotiva and Marantz but again you'll get a more precise answer in the specified forum. Good luck.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/audio-processors-power-amps/

4. alfdaur

alfdaur
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Bugger.. so I did.. any mod reading this, please feel free to move the thread as you see fit.

I'm really just looking for a way to send 7 separate channels to my poweramps (my current preamp is just a stereo RC1070), and a DPLII processor to process the stereo audio from my wii.

I need to look into HDMI handshakes and things like that to see if a older processor sitting between a blueray player and my projector would interfer with things :)

Thanks for your advice.