Looking for portable DVD drive for laptop + Multi region support?

Skyav

Standard Member
Hello all,

I recently purchased a Samsung NC10 netbook which I'm very happy with. I'm currently travelling in the USA for a few months and I'm looking to get an external drive for it, primarly to watch DVDs with. I've only just started looking, so any advice would be much appreciated.

I'm not too bothered about burning capabilities, but I'd like it to be small, portable and preferably powered via USB. Because I'll be taking it back to the UK, it will also need to have multi-region capability...but I'm assuming this will be down to the software(?)

Any info would be helpful,

Cheers,

Skyav :thumbsup:

Skyav

Standard Member
Wouldn't you be better off ripping the DVDs (to say Divx) and playing from the HDD (or an external HDD)

Thanks for your reply. I don't want to go through the hassle of ripping them. I'll be renting quite a few DVDs. I just need something to play them on...I'm not interested in keeping them.

pho

Be careful of what makes of drive they put in since they all look the same outside. I bought a Bluray external drive like that not long ago only to find out not even Anydvd can make it region free for DVD. Problem is that many Panasonic/Matsh*ta drive can't be made region free. It is fine for Bluray as their region is not hardware related.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: REL T/9x Subwoofer + Bowers & Wilkins PI7 Reviews, AV Shows in a Pandemic and more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom