Looking for pin sharp text from a projector

cosmicjazzer

Novice Member
I'm looking for recommendations for sub £1,000 projectors, the cheaper the better, actually!

I'm essentially looking for a projector that will take the place of a computer monitor. I don't need a particulary massive image size - 30 inches would be fine. Most important is that text is sharp, hopefully as sharp as on a decent monitor - is that a realistic hope?! A short throw is probably what I need. Also as quiet as possible would be good. Any thoughts and/or recommendations gratefully received.

Last edited:

ask4me2

How we experience sharpness often depends on how much contrast we manage to get in the projected picture.
1 chip DLP projector is often the sharpest one in that price range and can often throw a sharp picture with no convergence errors etc.
The problem with projectors is that they create the picture we look at by reflecting the light from the reflecting surface or screen, any other light in the room reflecting from the same screen will kill the contrast and reduce the sharpness and picture quality.

I guess that a short-throw projector throwing a 30" picture will need to be situated right in front of you where the keyboard normally will be situated, and if the projector needs fans for cooling, that will place the fan noise just in front of you too....

So if you only need a 30" picture and do not want to sit in a darkened room with fan noise just in front of you, I will rather choose a complete silent, direct view monitor or 4K TV to get a sharp high contrast picture rather cheap there instead.

cosmicjazzer

Novice Member
How we experience sharpness often depends on how much contrast we manage to get in the projected picture.
1 chip DLP projector is often the sharpest one in that price range and can often throw a sharp picture with no convergence errors etc.
The problem with projectors is that they create the picture we look at by reflecting the light from the reflecting surface or screen, any other light in the room reflecting from the same screen will kill the contrast and reduce the sharpness and picture quality.

I guess that a short-throw projector throwing a 30" picture will need to be situated right in front of you where the keyboard normally will be situated, and if the projector needs fans for cooling, that will place the fan noise just in front of you too....

So if you only need a 30" picture and do not want to sit in a darkened room with fan noise just in front of you, I will rather choose a complete silent, direct view monitor or 4K TV to get a sharp high contrast picture rather cheap there instead.
Thanks for the reply. :) I understand that a monitor rather than a projector might appear to be fit the bill. HOWEVER my reason for wanting a projector is that using a computer monitor prompts rather terrible health effects in me - I've tried about 15 monitors now... so I need to try an alternative, even if that means sitting in a darkened room!

The low noise is an ideal but I'll live with whatever noise is produced. I could also live with an image a bit larger than 30" if necessary.

Last edited:

noiseboy72

Distinguished Member
A projector will probably be worse for you than a monitor, as being that close, text on the outside of the image is unlikely to be well focused. Electromagnetic radiation is also likely to be higher from a projector.

I would suggest you look at projecting a larger image and sitting further away. Make sure you run the projector at its native resolution and don't use any digital keystone. You should be able to get a well focused image.

I work on screens for hours at a time and find that having them about 3' away from me in a well lit room reduces eye strain and enables better concentration. I use a 27" monitor running 150% text size at 1080p.

cosmicjazzer

Novice Member
A projector will probably be worse for you than a monitor, as being that close, text on the outside of the image is unlikely to be well focused. Electromagnetic radiation is also likely to be higher from a projector.

I would suggest you look at projecting a larger image and sitting further away. Make sure you run the projector at its native resolution and don't use any digital keystone. You should be able to get a well focused image.

I work on screens for hours at a time and find that having them about 3' away from me in a well lit room reduces eye strain and enables better concentration. I use a 27" monitor running 150% text size at 1080p.
Appreciate the reply - many thanks. I'm already doing all you mentioned with my monitor. I'm mystified as to what the mechanism might be that results in my being SO affected... maybe my brain doesn't get on with the flicker rate - I don't know. But having now tried so many tweaks involving monitors I now need to explore other options.

ask4me2

From your new posted information I guess a 1cip DLP with the sequential way of building the picture with the use of a color wheel and a DMD with hinged micromirrors that turn each pixel on or off multiple times a second to wari the light intercity will be one of the worst ideas to try out this way.

Lcos and LCD projector use polarized light to switch and hold and might be better, but if it uses an arc working lamp, that may add to some flickering too. Maybe something like a used Epson LS10000 or LS15000 with a laser light source can be something to try out, but not at 30" picture size and they may be hard to get the hold of inside your price range.

The only projector technology I know of that has no flickering whatsoever are dias projectors.
They often use a halogen light source and project a single framed film picture at the time. Hard to get something meaningful out of a PC that way...

I guess the best way to choose a screen technology for you will be to try to find out and understand what there is that triggers your health issues. Have you tried and felt the problem with OLED, CRT, or Plasma displays too?

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Hisense A7G, Zidoo Z1000 & Kudos Cardea C10 Reviews + Movie News and Reviews
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom