1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking for partner for Infinity Oreus speakers

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by petereh, Aug 28, 2004.

1. petereh

petereh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Okay....another newbie here! I want to build a complete home cinema and hi-fi package. I'm looking to spend upto circa £1500 on the receiver and speakers, but my starting point is very much the speakers that my wife likes the look of and will tolerate in the room! The Infinity Oreus set seems to pass that test and seem to be well reviewed. Can anybody please recommend a receiver that balances them well? I was thinking of a perhaps a Denon, or as I understand that Infinity is Harman owned, should I go for a HK?

Also, (and please forgive if this is a really dumb question), why aren't receivers generally DAB these days? Isn't DAB the future?

Many thanks in anticipation.

Peter

2. petereh

petereh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    anyone help please???

3. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi
    If you dont mind buying exdemo sevenoaks still have a few of the older but very good harman kardon avr7500 £699rrp £1100 and avr 8500 £1000 rrp £1800 these amps are power houses and sound good in stereo as well as movies,If your after quality sound and power you could do a lot worse.
    Cheers Gonzo.

4. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +990
    Welcome to the forums petereh :smashin:

You seem to have identified the speakers you want (and a good choice they are) but what price range do you have for the amp?

Depending on the price, there are various good models from Denon (3805, 2805) or Yamaha (2400/1400/750) or Pioneer (2014i, AX5Ai) etc.

It would help to know what features you're looking for i.e. automatic set-up, i-link, 7 channel amp, THX certified etc. etc. the list goes on!

What are your thoughts?

5. petereh

petereh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Many thanks for the replies.......much appreciated.

So what am I really looking for........well the speakers need to be acceptable from the wife's perspective. I do want a single system, i.e. to accommodate video and audio (CD playing etc.). I am looking to use with DVD, Sky +, and audio CD. I am looking for a flat screen of 42" or maybe a bit smaller. Not sure what else I can say? I've always had Panasonic (CRT) televisions before and was very happy with them.

Anything else you want to know?

Many thanks,

Peter

6. petereh

petereh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    ...oh.....budget? Well, I have no desire to spend any more than I have to.......say up to £1000 tops for the Receiver, (but very happy to pay less)!!!

Peter

7. petereh

petereh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    ....total for whole system is no more than circa £4,000 (inc LCD/Plasma).

8. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Have you shown your other half the Mordaunt Short Genie package yet?

They got a sterling review in what hi fi this month.

As for amp, in the £500 - £1000 range, you can't really go wrong with any product from Yamaha, Denon, Marantz or Pioneer. Harmon Kardon amps are also worth a look.

The picks for me would be:

Marantz: Sr7400 (rrp £700, but can be bought for less than £500, although it is being replaced by the end of the yr), or if you can wait, Marantz SR8500

Denon: 2805 or 3805

Pioneer: AX3 or the new 2014

Yamaha: RXV1400 or RXV2400

Don't know about the new HK's though, as I haven't heard any of them.

9. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,145
    Kaz has listed the major players and that need needs no further comment really. If you are going for the Oreus, look to the brighter sounding units as it sounded nice bt a bit flat to this set of ears.

DAB is rarely fitted for a couple of reasons. The unit would make no progress in the states or indeed large sections of the far east where DAB isn't happening. Even some sections of Europe are not up and running yet. The modules also generally have their aerials poking straight out the back which means that they would be very fussy in their placing on the rear panel as well. There are some DAB/FM hybrid modules available today (cambridge uses one in the 640T) and this would in part cure the first problem but not the second one.
    ToF

10. petereh

petereh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Many thanks for the response........please forgive my ignorance.....what do you mean when you say "look to the brighter sounding units"?

Thanks,

Peter

11. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Yamaha amps generally have a bright sound, Arcam are generally softer. Personally i would suggest HK AVR4550, or newer AVR330. or if you can find one a LTD edition 507.

12. petereh

petereh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Many thanks for the advice. I have Mordaunt Short speakers at present......about 15 years old, but still sound good! I have (at your suggestion) just taken a look at them on a web-site.......I fear their appearance may be a little to modern for my somewhat conservative wife! I guess I am going to have to go to a showroom somewhere and have a good listen to some setups. I want a deep sound, but want to avoid the system taking over the room. Really appreciate everyone taking time to engage with suggestions....thanks again.

Peter

13. petereh

petereh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    By the way.....the speakers I am suggesting are 6 Ohm........would this impact any of the advice proferred? Many thanks,

Peter

14. DarT

DarT
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have my oreus speakers coupled to a Yamaha 1400 and am pleased with the performance and sound quality.

one thing to note, is that when i first got the speakers i was running them off my old cheap "bell wire" speaker cable and i was not blown away. If you power them from good cable you should be blown away with them. I now run mine off normal 2.5mm twin and earth cable, and sounds is fantastic and did not cost the earth ~£15 worth trying.

15. colinhare

colinhare

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would go for the AVR 430 @ £799.95 or the new digital DPR1005 @ £1000. I use the latter with the Oreus system at home myself and the system never ceases to impress me.
    Harmans new digital amps offer many advantages over rival products including size, running temp and output power.