Looking for opinions on building system

Fabioreal

Hello,

I'm new to this forum and vynil in general so I was looking to get an opinion from someone more knowledgeable than me on the subject.

I recently acquired a Rega Planar 2 and I'm considering two different possibilities regarding the rest of the equipment I should purchase.

Option number one is getting a phono stage, probably the Rega Fono MM Mk3, and a set of active speakers, specifically the Audioengine A5+.

The second option would be to get an amplifier, was looking into the Marantz PM6006 or PM6007, and speaker wise I was leaning towards the Triangle Borea BR03. Although the Elac Debut B5.2 (or even the B6.2 if they're worth the extra money), Dali Spektor 2 or KEF Q350 are also strong possibilities.

I know I'm considering some different combinations, but any help regarding what would seem the best option is greatly appreciated.

Costello

I can’t comment on active speakers but there any many here who will help you. If you’re putting a vinyl system together and looking down the passive route, I’ll put forward the Rega Io - perfect with your Planar 2 - to go with the KEF Q350s. Loads of other options but this system will have real synergy.

English Invader

I recommend watching lots of Zero Fidelity videos. All the main brands are covered and he gives very balanced reviews, goes through the pros and cons of each item and gives you a good idea of who an item is for and who it isn't for.

Reviewers are criticised for trying to sell us things but Zero Fidelity is actually very good at talking me out of buying things because of his level headed approach. If you can get a product through a session with him, you can be 90% sure that you've made the right decision.

Fabioreal

I recommend watching lots of Zero Fidelity videos. All the main brands are covered and he gives very balanced reviews, goes through the pros and cons of each item and gives you a good idea of who an item is for and who it isn't for.

Reviewers are criticised for trying to sell us things but Zero Fidelity is actually very good at talking me out of buying things because of his level headed approach. If you can get a product through a session with him, you can be 90% sure that you've made the right decision.

Thanks for the tip, will surely look into it!

I can’t comment on active speakers but there any many here who will help you. If you’re putting a vinyl system together and looking down the passive route, I’ll put forward the Rega Io - perfect with your Planar 2 - to go with the KEF Q350s. Loads of other options but this system will have real synergy.

Also looked into the Rega Io but in the end came with the impression that the Marantz were better in general? You think the Rega would be a better choice because of the synergy between it and the turntable?

Kapkirk

Audiolab 6000 and Focal Aria 906 would work very well with your turntable.

Costello

Thanks for the tip, will surely look into it!

Also looked into the Rega Io but in the end came with the impression that the Marantz were better in general? You think the Rega would be a better choice because of the synergy between it and the turntable?
Both very good amplifiers. In my opinion, the Rega is a better sounding amplifier but the Marantz has more features: more inputs, inbuilt DAC etc. Depends on what you need it to do. If it’s simply an amp to plug a turntable in, I’d vote for the Rega. An audition is the way forward.

Yimkin

Standard Member
I use an audiolab 6000 with my rp1 and KEF 350 speakers, which work fantastically together (albeit not at very low volumes). Next step is a rega P3, then I’m done (I hope!).

musicphil

I use an audiolab 6000 with my rp1 and KEF 350 speakers, which work fantastically together (albeit not at very low volumes). Next step is a rega P3, then I’m done (I hope!).

hmm..... the slippery upgrade path..... ;)

plymman

TLDR: It's well worth looking at a Marantz amp (6006 etc..) and Q Acoustics speakers.

My budget was much lower than yours but I've been through similar recently. I have a Rega Planar 1 and was trying to piece together the best I could get for minimal outlay. I tried a couple of active speakers, wasn't greatly impressed, a Rotel amp that sounded flat.

All the advice I got was a dedicated amp was preferable to a phono pre amp and Marantz and Yamaha were the best in my range. I ended up with a Marantz pm5004 and it sounds fantastic, I'm sure if you went for their current models, like to pm6006 you wouldn't be disappointed. Great separation, really tight bass, I'm very impressed.

For speakers everyone seemed to suggest that Q Acoustics were among the best value for money so I got some 2nd hand 3020's (I needed small speakers as I only have a very small space). Again they really come alive with the amp and turntable, I've had lots of hi fi kit over the last 30 years, separates, 2.1, 5.1,all in ones, streamers, turntables etc.. And this combination is by far my favourite, really alive, punchy and full.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom