Looking for ON CEILING (not IN) surround satelite speakers to pair with my Yamaha RX-V4A

danielangelov91

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi all :)

I have a Yamaha RX-V4A with Dali Spektor 2 and Elac Debut center.
Since my room is L-shaped I don't really have a wall on my left, thus I have to place my satellite surround speakers on my ceiling.
So ... couple of questions arise.
First - the distance/angle of the speakers. I know that the standard satellite speakers should be on ear level or about 1m higher. In that case, I'll aim the on-ceiling ones (tweeter) about 50cm (2ft) above my head.
Second - having in mind my current setup I don't really know how to calculate what speakers can I get so my AVR won't run out of juice powering them ...
Third - I'm on a tight budget - as you can see per my current setup. My only concern is to be able to mount them on the ceiling and to be white (wife acceptance factor). I have an Edifier 2.1 which costs 100$ and I'm ok with it's sound, so 200$ for satellite speakers seems reasonable.

Thank you for your time!

Hi...

I know you said you don't have the wall space for surrounds, but what about some small speakers on stands as surrounds?

Could you possibly post some pictures of your room (especially behind and around the seating area).... Without this it's difficult to visualise the possible solutions. You'd be surprised at how many of us AVF folk have faced similar issues - Along with the innovative ideas etc to solve them!

Hi...

I know you said you don't have the wall space for surrounds, but what about some small speakers on stands as surrounds?

Could you possibly post some pictures of your room (especially behind and around the seating area).... Without this it's difficult to visualise the possible solutions. You'd be surprised at how many of us AVF folk have faced similar issues - Along with the innovative ideas etc to solve them!
Hey, thanks for joining!
So, the middle pillow is where my head is ...
On the right of the picture (left if you are sitting is the longer part of L in the room so there is no option to place stands ...
I was thinking on wall mounting (where the other 2 pillows are), but one of the speakers would be really close to my head and I doubt this is a good thing ...

P.S. Sorry about the mess, I have a toddler who is constantly spreading chaos ...

Attachments

• 20230124_214625.jpg
    20230124_214625.jpg
    176.9 KB · Views: 31
So, the middle pillow is where my head is ...
On the right of the picture (left if you are sitting is the longer part of L in the room so there is no option to place stands ...
thanks. Picture really helps (and I now understand why you'd struggle with surrounds on stands.

I was thinking on wall mounting (where the other 2 pillows are), but one of the speakers would be really close to my head and I doubt this is a good thing ...
I'm in the UK. My seating is also against my rear wall. Because of this I use - and would recommend - bi/dipole speakers. Specifically I use Monitor Audio FX type. They are mounted behind me (can also be sidewall mounted) at just above ear height when seated.

Below is a picture showing them in my living room setup. Note: the speakers near the ceiling are rear atmos.

20211104_184739.jpg

P.S. Sorry about the mess, I have a toddler who is constantly spreading chaos ...
I've got 2 girls under 6.... so feel your pain! Plus 3 dogs!

Great setup! In my case there is no space behind the couch, so the only option apart from on ceiling speakers is where the pillows are ...
DALI Alteco C-1 is above my budget but feels like the only thing that makes sense. They have a 24-degree angle and if I place them on the ceiling 4 meters apart (2m to the left and 2m to the right) I think it might get the job done.
I'm from Bulgaria and most of the "budget" brands recommended by the US reviewers are not here.

P.S. Just noticed you are using Altecos for atmos :D

I am indeed using C1's for atmos!...

The FX's (lower down) are litterally less than 1ft behind my head... Sofa is less than a foot away from back wall too. Being bi/dipole - They have side firing tweeters - and produce a very dispersed sound, making them hard to localise.

Could you perhaps get a pair to home demo?

Here's a place in Bulgaria that stocks some Monitor Audio Bronze FX's:

I have questions.

Do you care about accuracy for 5.1 experience?
Do you have any reason and this means evidence to support your seating location choice?
Do you want badly out of place sounds like gunshots coming from the ceiling rather than beside/behind you as per creative decisions.

I will say this and this is for your benifit.
Sit away from the wall to allow distance from you to the speaekrs. And allows accuracte placement.

All you need to know is this.
Placement is 110-120 degrees from center. Floor plan view.
Benchmark is ear level. But can go up to 20 degrees elevation (side view)

Ceiling speakers are to be used exclusively for Dolby atmos. Also at the correct locations of 45-55 degrees elevation. Behind view.

You will be far far happier if you follow my information on board and I'll hope you consider it carefully and weigh the pros and cons before committing and making any further decions and comment.

I can give information on why your seating position and proposed placement is the worst idea and experience to have.

And please don't waste my time as I'm here to help you have accuracy rather than a badly setup and out of place system.

Kind regards. 😀

Last edited:
I have questions.

Do you care about accuracy for 5.1 experience?
Do you have any reason and this means evidence to support your seating location choice?
Do you want badly out of place sounds like gunshots coming from the ceiling rather than beside/behind you as per creative decisions.

I will say this and this is for your benifit.
Sit away from the wall to allow distance from you to the speaekrs. And allows accuracte placement.

All you need to know is this.
Placement is 110-120 degrees from center. Floor plan view.
Benchmark is ear level. But can go up to 20 degrees elevation (side view)

Ceiling speakers are to be used exclusively for Dolby atmos. Also at the correct locations of 45-55 degrees elevation. Behind view.

You will be far far happier if you follow my information on board and I'll hope you consider it carefully and weigh the pros and cons before committing and making any further decions and comment.

I can give information on why your seating position and proposed placement is the worst idea and experience to have.

And please don't waste my time as I'm here to help you have accuracy rather than a badly setup and out of place system.

Kind regards. 😀
I do want the best experience of course, but I can't push the couch forward as there is not enough space ahead. If I get a surround on an ear level the left one will be 1m from my head and the right one 2m. But they have to be small due to the wife acceptance factor. I'm here for ideas on how to achieve something as close to creative intend as possible with the limitations that I have.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom