1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

looking for non cheesy top spin xbox players

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by toxic mango, Sep 16, 2005.

1. toxic mango

toxic mango

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    by non cheese I mean no drop shots no risk return all the time etc. My GT is toxic mango. If you want a sim ts game give me a shout

2. -Jay-

-Jay-
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    No backhand, No vollying, no max serves, we'll just stand there looking at each other. :rotfl: ;)

I used to play this a lot when it 1st came out and was ranked pretty high. I stopped playing it due to lag mainly. But there was some real cheesy player using the little glitch moves etc.

3. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +990
    I played this for the first time this weekend and thought it was brilliant (don’t know whether it’s better than VT2 though!) I’m pretty crap at it , can’t seem to pull any of the risk shots off! :(

4. smashed

smashed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +162
    I dont play online either due to lag. You have to play your shot early in this game anyway, and with lag, it means your shot needs to be doubly early.

My friend plays this shot where he hits a drop shot to the net, and it lands on the net, and then falls over into my side of the court. If you are really lucky you can get there and nudge it back, but he just lobs you after.
    I still win the match, but that is a major irritation.

Has anybody else seen this shot? I want to be able to do it back to annoy him, but he wont tell me how. All he has said is that you press two buttons together. (His player has swerve as his 4th skill, not sure if its relevant)

5. bishman

bishman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    I played Top Spin an awful lot back in the day and was highly proud of my top 200 ranking that was achieved using non-cheese methods. There is nothing more satisfying than beating one of the cheesey :censored:.

The thing that I found the most cheesey was actually the player creator where you could make a 7' giant that could not be lobbed or passed easily. That was the worst thing to me because you never see a real life tennis player of that size and if you did, I'm sure they'd have trouble getting around. It always looked really silly when both players were near the net and my normal sized man looked like a midget.

As for the Virtua Tennis games, I think Top Spin craps all over them. I always found them rather limited and you could get some stupidly long rallys going in VT. I usually ended up getting bored in VT matches but not with Top Spin.

Top Spin 2 will be out on the 360 soon and I'm sure that they will have addressed all of the old cheese, I just fear new cheese.

6. toxic mango

toxic mango

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    when i played the game fanatically I was at once stage top 100 (not anymore though). I now dabble occasionaly and whilst I give cheesers as good as they get, I just get tired of it. I can hold my own against many bar the top 300 or so.

I also loved playing snooker on the xbox but lack of players and the fact people disconnected when loosing made me go off the game

7. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
    Ratings:
    +76
    having played the demo of this as a very very late comer i enjoyed it but i cant seem to find it in stock. not a huge problem as i will now wait for TS2 on 360. your comments make me chuckle abit tbh. from what i played the risk thing you talk of is the right trigger shot ?? then how is it cheese if the shot is implemented in the game and meant to be used ? i cannot give a total experience so id like to be corrected if wrong but if you were that good dont you think you'd be able to counter this risk shot and the drop shot (perfectly used in normal tennis) ? from what i found when i played it i nailed the risk shot on the line but it kept going out by the smallest of margins wether it be long or wide
    are these the glitch moves you talk of ? if so i cant really agree about being glitch moves as they were purposly entered in the game. im far as im concerned a glitch is to abuse something that was not seen in the game before or purposly implemented for eg i remember SC : PT you could teleport across one of the maps, now that is a glitch which was used to win.

not having a go at anyone here but why play if your not allowed to use legit moves. again with no 1st hand experience correct me on it :)

8. bishman

bishman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    It's cheese because it's easily done and also not realistic. How often in real life tennis do you see a 140 mph serve come back over the net just as fast as it went in the first place? Not very often and certainly not every point. The serving player is considered to have the advantage in tennis but the risk shot abuser has the advantage in Top Spin.

The other risk shot, the drop shot is also excessively cheesed in Top Spin. The drop shot can be played to perfection from anywhere and from any speed of ball coming at you. Taking serving again as an example, you can serve a 140mph shot at your opponent and he drop shots it back, landing just over the net. I would say that this would be an impossible shot to pull off in proper tennis but can be done easily in Top Spin.

Regarding your risk shots going slightly out, this can be down to a couple of things. The stats you have assigned to your player may not be suited to this type of play, you may not have your player completely stated up, or you may just be aiming for too long.

9. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
    Ratings:
    +76
    so basically the shot is being whored and used all the time ? just confusing hearing people mention glitch which it clearly is not. i can see your point about the service game etc maybe this will be addressed in TS2. would be easy to say right you get 1-2 risk shots per game and thats it to limit the use.
    if you read i mentioned i only had the demo ;) pete samprass vs hewitt no stats or anything to mess with. played abit more before and my risk shots were going in so it must have been a one off the other day. first time i used the drop shot as well, i didnt even know it exsisted tbh as the demo has no control layouts shown.

10. -Jay-

-Jay-
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    Kopite there was a glitch move where they could make the ball hit the top of the net anytime they wanted and they would win the point. That is a glitch for sure.

I was ranked top 50 playing the proper way and i have played 100's of games. when i 1st got it it was great online apart from the lag then happened more times than not. In the end the lag and constant cheesy drop shot every point put me off.

I'll defo get Top spin 2 as we will get some good comps started on here where i know people will play fair.

11. toxic mango

toxic mango

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    It is all about etiquette - some people play sim games ie no risk shot or drop shot. I can risk but find sim more challenging

12. bishman

bishman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    I just addressed the risk shots, there are glitch shots too. One is when the ball is played to clip the top of the net and just fall into your side. I don't know how it's done but I've come accross people that can do it pretty much at will.

There is also a glitch serve that is impossible to return properly. It spins massively, goes really wide and moves very slowly. In real tennis a shot that comes over the net at this slow speed would be burried by the returner. In top spin it's impossible to hit it back with any venom. Even a power risk shot doesn't do the business.

13. bishman

bishman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    I would argue that it's all about bad testing. These problems should never have got passed the testing stage, we shouldn't have to resort to gentlemens agreements in order to get a fair match.