Looking for new TV 36" - advise please

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by spikeyboyo, Apr 8, 2002.

1. spikeyboyo

spikeyboyo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Looking to purchase a new 36" telly - around the £1,500 mark (if possible) would prefer to have Component input as well (are tosh only ones that have this?).

Other requirements:

Pure flat screen.
    100hz.
    3 Scart (2 x RGB)
    Dont need DD/DTS decoding (Have seperate decoder).
    Great Picture.

Was considering the Tosh picture frame telly - but remeber a rather large thread about probs peeps were having with this set - have all the probs been sorted out ?

I wont be buying a Sony - dont want anything made in Wales ;)

Many thanks.

Spike

2. andyk

andyk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +166
    Apart from the component input I would recommend the Panasonic 36PL30. I have had one for 5 months and am v. happy with it.

3. orange

orange

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Once you have seen the tosh in a proper demo, not one of those Comet / John Lewis poor reception things you will be hooked.

Mine arrived on Saturday and compared to my old 28" Sony it is in a different league. The Sony was top of range about 10 years ago so was as good as you could get then but the new tosh is so cinema like with DVD it is unreal.

That said mine does buzz like an alarm clock, have spoken with the shop I got it from and they instantly said it is the scan convertor and are arranging a replacement, whole conversation about 4 mins.

Therefore one thing to bare in mind is where you buy if from incase it has to be changed, this is what I did, bought mine from www.toshiba-direct.co.uk as it also comes with a 3 year warranty parts and labour and you can get it without the speakers which is what I wanted as I have a surround set-up. The internal speakers are actually not that bad considering.

Basically *bloody good* set, but the 36" will take two strong people to get it out of the box and onto the stand. Make sure you have help on hand and unpack it as near to the final resting place as possible.

Good luck.

4. spikeyboyo

spikeyboyo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replys - im really considering the Tosh - it was just the thread on this forum a few months back that has me concerned - from what i recall many owners had problems with their sets - shading from sides, colour staining, dirty picture. As i recall one member was acting for many in trying to get an answer from Tosh on these matters - rather than finding the thread and going through many many pages - were these issues sorted out ?

Spike

5. orange

orange

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To summarise from what I have read.

I don't think any of the issues have actually been fixed, which was the conclusion I came to and even in the latest Q version the tube is still the same. All widescreen TV's have there issues it's just a case of living with them. That said it the set is faulty, send it back.

One thing that does seem to have happened is that Toshiba engineers are aware of the problems when they come and see them and therefore get it sorted, most of the time by replacing the set, in my case they are just replacing it without seeing it. Don't allow them to take it apart within the first 30 days as this will mean they will not replace it.

I have had the same questions as you before I bought my set and have actually been waiting since Christmas before making the choice and although it buzzes I know I have made the correct choice because it looks so good.

One thing to remember is that you need a good analogue signal because these big screens show up warts and all. But with good digital DVD they are stunning because of the high resolution.

One good starting point I found was to use some of the settings that have been posted on this site to get the TV up and running and they gave a pretty good result. The other thing is to not look for the faults as you will then start to convince yourself they are there.

It's a mine field.

One final point of advice make sure the company you use can deliver without you having to take time off work, for example John Lewis don't deliver to my area on Saturday's and I refuse to use my holiday allowance to take deliveries. But If I had taken half a day and then had to get it replaced that would have meant more time off.

6. spikeyboyo

spikeyboyo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the inout Orange - you dont happen to remeber the link/thread to the setting people have recommended for this TV do you - save me searching through all tosh tv threads.

I dont actually have the terrestrial ariel plugged into my current 32" phillips wide screen TV - reception so bad in my area just use the sky box :)

Anyone have any views on the new Phillips pixel-plus tv's ??

Spike

7. GETanner

GETanner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    under the Sales of Goods Act, a repair does not mean you then forfit the right to ask for a new set or full refund.

Check out http://www.consumer.gov.uk/CACP/ca/advice/saleofgoods/unsatis.htm for a good laymans view on your rights. I have posted a few more links to Consumer rights in the thread http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=32206

Regards,

Guy

8. orange

orange

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Toshiba settings

Go to picture mode 3 (see manual)

Contrast 68
    Brightness 46
    colour 45
    sharpness -30 ish (I have actually changed that to -20)

An the rest as they are.

9. spikeyboyo

spikeyboyo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well after reading more threads on the Tosh i dont think i will chance spending £1,500 only to have loads of hassle - seems way to much hit or miss if you get a good TV - and even the good ones seem to have loads of defects :(

May have to turn my eye to the new phillips - now question is - is it any good and are they doing it in 36" model yet ??

Spike

10. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,676
    Hi spikeyboyo, just a thought, You could get a very nice Loewe Aconda in silver for that money. I know it is only 32 inch, but just look how many people love them on this site. I too was after a 36 inch after I had a 32 myself but when I saw just how jaw droping good the picture was I stopped with a 32.
    Quality over quantity.

11. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    spikeyboyo, so you don't want anything Made In Wales, my wife was made there and she's terrific.
    Anyway, best 36" is the new Philips 36PW9607c, forget the Loewe Aconda, I've got one and I wish I had a 36", ignore the hyperbole.

12. spikeyboyo

spikeyboyo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers for the input - ive got to go to 36" screen - had a 32" since they first came out and ive just got to used to it that it looks small now !!

And once my Cinema room is finshed and i get a PJ for the real big screen :)

Ive almost made up my mind on the 36PW9607C just want to see one in the flesh make sure i like the picture - but as ive always had phiilips widescreen TVs and always been very happy with the picture they give i cant seem myself being disappointed.

Spike