Looking for new Surround sound system that is UHD compatible

jontygee

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi

my old surround sound system has bitten the dust. It was an all in one system and is over 10 years old. My current set up is as follows:

my TV is a Samsung UE40M/U6400. On the back of it, it has a Digital Audio out (optical) port, 2 HDMI ins (1 & 2) and an HDMI in 3 (ARC).

I have a ps4 and I also have sky q.

I do like surround sound and in particular watching sport and movies, and with sky q I want to take advantage of their Ultra HD as it is free on my package, so I do need a surround sound system that is UHD compatible.

TBH I don't need a Blu ray player as part of the new system so am really just looking for something to create the surround sound effect

I think I would prefer something that has rear speakers with it as am dubious that anything without rear speakers can produce full surround sound, I know a lot of soundbars claim they can do this? Happy for the speakers to be wired as can run these under the floor.

My living room is not big, it is around 4m wide by 3.5m and I sit around 2.8m from the TV, which again isn't a massive TV and is situated in the corner of the room.

I have a budget of about £650 for the full set up. Is anyone able to recommend a suitable set up for me??

Many thanks

John

Forget those you linked. The first is more for pc gaming and the 2nd is... garbage.

That is rather low budget as you need av-receiver to power the speakers and 5 speakers and subwoofer for 5.1 system. Cheapest bundle deals with fairly new av-receiver model:

And same with old uber cheap receiver which i wouldn´t personally buy:

The speakers also available as white. Very compact:

Satellites: 190 x 120 x 122 mm ( h x w x d )
Centre: 120 x 310 x 122 mm ( h x w x d )
dx-4.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks, that's great. So if I could stretch to 1000, would there be any others that are significantly better than the one you have shown me, or for the size of my room should I just stick to that one?
Thanks

Thanks, that's great. So if I could stretch to 1000, would there be any others that are significantly better than the one you have shown me, or for the size of my room should I just stick to that one?
Thanks

Yes there is better speakers if budget goes higher and if speaker size isn´t issue. It´s still bit tight as you need speaker stands for front and rear, unless you have wide (2meters or more) av-cabinet at front which has decent height 40-60cm?

Example: Yamaha RX-V4A AV Receiver with Q Acoustics 3010i Cinema Pack

I would want to swap that QA slim subwoofer to something better as it`s the weak point, but that isn´t happening if tight 1k£ budget.

This package with the Yamaha receiver might go for same price.

For a more lifestyle look with better Denon 7.2 receiver and atmos modules (upfiring bouncing from your ceiling) there is this bundle deal at 1100£.

I think you can negotiate of the final pricing as they could lower it or at least throw free speaker cables in (RS). PT includes them.

Hi

many thanks again, but I have made a rick!! I have just measured my cabinet and I am hamstrung by height. TBH the max height I have for my AV receiver is 135mm, which rules out your recommendations.

I have found this one which looks like it fits the bill, i.e. height wise and HDR compliant, so is this model ok??

If it is, do you know if the Wharfedale DX-2 speakers would be compatible. Or better still would my existing speaker set by re-usable, they are for the Samsung AH64-05291B. It is a one box system, I suspect they aren't as they are quite old!!

thanks again and Happy New Year

Don´t put av-receiver in such tight space you need to leave some space on top and sides for ventilation or it will die fast!

New av-cabinet is likely cheaper than slim receiver, this is very expensive for what you get but low in height.

Forget the HTIB speakers. Meant to be used with that unit.

Don´t go buying speakers and receiver individually either as you get "bundle deal" when bought together. You need also new wires/cables. You need to figure out new place for the av-receiver or buy new av-cabinet which has more space.

Hi Gasp3621

many thanks for all your advice, so after a bit of soul searching and some unexpected bills, I have gone for the Yamaha HTR_2071 with the speaker package. It arrived today.

It has 4 HDMI ports for incoming (1 is for a DVD player) and one HDMI out.

Looking at the booklet with it, it recommends I set up as follows for me.

Sky Q to 1 of the HDMI ins, PS4 to another and my tv from its HMDI input into the HDMI out on the yamaha.

Does that seem correct to you and hopefully that will allow me to watch in Ultra HD and have surround sound as well??

many thanks again

John

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom