• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Looking for new speakers, frustrated!.

RustySpoons

Prominent Member
Hi all,

I currently own a set of B&W 602S3's paired with a marantz pm6010 OSE dual mono amp, mounted on soundstyle z2's filled with sand.

I have never been able to get on with these speakers, I've moved house 3 times and assumed it was down to the acoustics of the house but they sound exactly the same, I even went as far as having cloud 9 11mm underlay and thick carpet in the last place thinking that would solve things but to no avail!.

I find them muddy, lacking clarity and punch. Also there seems to be an odd thing with them where they sound like they are not producing any bass when sat down listening, but lots of bass in unwanted area's such as other rooms or somewhere else in the room, almost like a phase/polarity issue i've checked them and tried reversing polarity but got no joy, feel like i'm banging my head against the wall so looking to upgrade the speakers/amp and sell them, my acoustic energy aego m sound better!.

So can anyone recommend a set of speakers for around up to £500, I listen to all genre's of music from rock, classical, electronic, r&b etc. so need something thats good all round, I do like clear treble and punchy controlled bass with a big soundstage. Floor standers would be a more elegant solution, though if bookshelf speakers will perform better I can stick with the soundstyle z2's.

Sorry if there are too many variables and too much choice, would appreciate a point in the right direction, I don't want to make the same mistake as last time as the 602s3's sounded amazing in the store when I auditioned them.

Many thanks,
Dale

Badger0-0

Distinguished Member
I find them muddy, lacking clarity and punch

Pretty similar to what I thought when I demoed them a good while back.
Nowhere near enough detail for my liking, even though I prefer a decidedly warm sound.
That wasn't my room though, to be fair.

Also there seems to be an odd thing with them where they sound like they are not producing any bass when sat down listening, but lots of bass in unwanted area's such as other rooms or somewhere else in the room

That's almost certainly a room issue and most likely down to positioning.
You're sat in a null zone, by the sound of it.
You should experiment in this area first, imo (height and distance apart).

You might want to consider this manufacturer, although demoing is difficult.

Badger0-0

Distinguished Member
Given your amp, you might want to look at the Monitor Audio range too.

RustySpoons

Prominent Member
Thanks for the reply Badger, I did think it was a room issue, but the past 3 properties have had totally different shaped rooms and had everything arranged differently, I did wonder if it was my sofa doing something to the sound mind you!

I'll have a look at the monitor audios, but it's not an issue changing the amp if that's also a weak point.

Also, I'll do a bit of research on the others you suggested, but buying speakers blind is a big gamble.

Last edited:

Badger0-0

Distinguished Member
Thanks for the reply Badger, I did think it was a room issue, but the past 3 properties have had totally different shaped rooms and had everything arranged differently, I did wonder if it was my sofa doing something to the sound mind you!

I'll have a look at the monitor audios, but it's not an issue changing the amp if that's also a weak point.

Also, I'll do a bit of research on the others you suggested, but buying speakers blind is a big gamble.

I did think it was a room issue, but the past 3 properties have had totally different shaped rooms and had everything arranged differently

The fact that you can get strong bass in certain areas of the room suggests that it's definitely a positioning problem, I assure you.
Although there is a hint that you might actually like boomy bass (nowt wrong with that) in what you say.
Corner placement might be worth a try, if you haven't already.

I mentioned those because they do tend to accentuate the highs (Mordaunt Short might be another brand) which would balance the Marantz.

Seriously consider the XTZs.

I only bought the bottom of the range to compare to my SVS speakers.
Whilst they're not as good as the 602S3 on their own, they're pretty good, with more detail and just as much midrange.
Bass is slightly less, but I use a sub, so it's not important to me.
The difference being that I paid £170 for the pair.

The higher up the range use SEAS drivers and ribbon tweeters, which are not to be sniffed at.
Plus you get room tuning ;)

Have a mooch around for reviews of their higher up the range stuff (including Russ Will's review on these very forums).

There is a bit of a gamble, but it will only cost you return postage if you don't like them.

I seriously suspect you'd be pleasantly surprised.

RustySpoons

Prominent Member
The fact that you can get strong bass in certain areas of the room suggests that it's definitely a positioning problem, I assure you.
Although there is a hint that you might actually like boomy bass (nowt wrong with that) in what you say.
Corner placement might be worth a try, if you haven't already.

I mentioned those because they do tend to accentuate the highs (Mordaunt Short might be another brand) which would balance the Marantz.

Seriously consider the XTZs.

I only bought the bottom of the range to compare to my SVS speakers.
Whilst they're not as good as the 602S3 on their own, they're pretty good, with more detail and just as much midrange.
Bass is slightly less, but I use a sub, so it's not important to me.
The difference being that I paid £170 for the pair.

The higher up the range use SEAS drivers and ribbon tweeters, which are not to be sniffed at.
Plus you get room tuning ;)

Have a mooch around for reviews of their higher up the range stuff (including Russ Will's review on these very forums).

There is a bit of a gamble, but it will only cost you return postage if you don't like them.

I seriously suspect you'd be pleasantly surprised.

I'm not sure of what context "boomy" bass would come under, if it's something that sounds a bit wooly and warm then no I don't like that, I like something fast and punchy, not ported subwoofer type low's if that makes any sense?.

It's as if the bass is non existant in some frequencies when sat down, you can't hear them at all but you can feel them in the sofa, walk closer to the speakers or go to left or right of room and that sound comes back, but other bass frequencies seem to be ok.

I might pull the drivers out and see if the crossovers are wired correctly and not a tweeter out of phase, as I've tried 3 amplifiers, 2 speaker stands, 3 CD players, 4 types of cable, ports plugged etc :), though I still think these speakers are over-rated and take reviews in certain magazines with a pinch of salt.

I'm sorely tempted to have a really good look at that range you suggested, the floorstanders with ribbon tweeters sound nice, someone should open a shop here importing them if they are that good :).

I've never been happy with the sound of this since day one, over a friends house the other week I listened to a pair of Martin Audio pa type speakers which wiped the floor with mine quality wise! so something is really wrong there.

I've been looking at Kef 5SE & DALI Ikon to audition in a store along with your suggestion of monitor audio.

Thanks again for the further advice.

danb1979

Banned
IMO you'll not go far wrong with the likes of the M/A RX2's :)

Absolutely superb speakers and I nearly went for these but was offered such a good deal on the RX6's I went for them.

The RX2's have superb bass which is deep yet taut and punchy. A very detailed, smooth midrange and great, crips treble.

They'll suit your amp very well IMO

However the likes of the Dynaudio DM 2/6's shouldnt be discounted nor should the B&W 685's (bottom end of your budget range)

A world apart from the 602 S3's ;)

RustySpoons

Prominent Member
Thanks Danb1979,

That sounds reasuring :).

I really fancy listening to something with a ribbon tweeter so will have a listen to some dali's, I find the tweeter doesn't go high enough on the 602's and is more mid/high and find it harsh as it's a metal tweeter, I'm one of those people who for some reason can hear very high frequencies and hasnt seemed to have dropped off at all as i've got older, so something with a really high frequency response would be nice.

If I really like the ribbon tweeter I will seriously consider those models suggested earlier on, or I could push the boat out a little more and look at something a bit higher in the dali range or the quad 22l2(not ribbon I know, but good reviews)

Off to sevenoaks in a min to listen to the M/A.

Just out of curiosity, I'm thinking about putting my 602s3's on here for sale, they are in immaculate condition, sorrento I think the colour is called, no marks on speakers/tweeter, the grills are perfect which are never removed, honestly are as new apart from having the little marks underneath from being sat on spikes, how much should I ask?.

Last edited:

RustySpoons

Prominent Member
Sevenoaks didn't seem very enthusiastic about doing a demo on any of the M/A range, I was told to book an appointment though this was not convenient for me as the closest branch is around 50 miles away and I would have bought then and there if I liked them yesterday.

I did get chance to listen to a set of RX6's and Kef Q50's at a local Audio T (Audio Excellence) branch who I must say were very helpful!, The tweeter on the RX6's sounded fantastic but the bass slightly wooly but they were hardly positioned in the best place in the store, the Q50's seemed too laid back and not enough on the higher frequencies, which is a shame as I could have had a really good price on them in a proper wood veneer finish.

I'll be going back to try the RX6's again and try a couple of sets of Dynaudio, though I think the Dynaudio will sound a bit too reserved for my liking.

The Audio T store did say I can take a set of speakers home to try out at my house over the weekend which is fantastic customer service and will give me a much better enviroment to try them out on my own equipment, I'll have to narrow down my choices a bit first I think before I do that.

Interestingly though, on my return home my current 602s3's sounded a bit better, though thats probably after listening to the last few set's of speakers at RS (MS's/Dali's).

I did end up buying a Alphason Finewoods tv stand/av rack though :).

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom