Looking For New Receiver

alphaomega16

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello all, getting a new TV so wanted to update my Sony STR-DB895D ive had for over a decade (Needed doing as the display is fading more and more and very hard to see) and was going to pick up the Sony 1080 but the most important function the sleep timer is done through a UI from what I can see on the manual instead of just a bog standard button on the remote and I don't know why I should have to turn the TV on just to put sleep timer on.

Sorry for going on but looking in the price range of £4-500 for a suitable replacement for my current receiver, it will be being paired with a LG 55C9 TV, I currently have speakers to use with it (F, C, R, and 2 back speakers) but after hesitating on the Sony due to the mentioned sleep issue any other options would be appreciated.

Edit
Little over my range but I was looking at the Denon X2600H which may drop to my range during sales time.

In the back of my head though im still hearing get the Sony lol but the sleep function accessibility is one of the major selling points.

Consider last year's Denon AVRX3500 which is technically a better receiver than the X2600, but less money due to its age.

You may even want to cnsider the model that preceeded the X2600, the X2500 if wanting to spend even less money:

Last edited:
My Marantz 7010 has a sleep button on the remote. Only downside is there's 2 displays on my Marantz and the sleep message only shows on the one behind the flap. Denon and Marantz pretty much share the same software so a Denon might fit the bill.

The only possible issue is later models seem to be coming with much more simplified remotes, annoyingly in most cases the amp will still react to the IR code but the supplied remote doesn't have the function.

One suggestion I do have would be to do a Google image search to find images of the remote for a particular amp and check for the oresence of a sleep button.

All of the Denon models including the most current have a SLEEP button on their remote.

After a quick look on Google images I was just about to say the same thing.

I'd suggest grabbing one of those 3500 ASAP while you can. They're not gonna be around forever at that price.

Really don't know why Sony abandoned the whole sleep button for UI only option lol.

One suggestion I do have would be to do a Google image search to find images of the remote for a particular amp and check for the oresence of a sleep button.
Most websites have images of the remote for the receivers they are selling but my current sony sleep is done by pressing the ALT button and pressing power button but upon inspecting the manual for the Sony I originally listed its UI only but reading other manuals the sleep seems to be on remote itself.

I have the X3400H, 50% more power than the X2400H I had before it.
Can't really miss the sleep button on the remote.
Lots of bargains to had in the Denon range nowadays.
:)

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    51.5 KB · Views: 279
Hi @Hampy1972 I don't wish to rain on your parade, as the X3400H is a might fine AVR. But, unfortunately, it is not 50% more powerful than the X2400H

X2400H has a 500 watt power supply and outputs 95 watts per channel, 2 channels driven into 8 ohms @ 0.08% THD.

X3400H has a 600 watt power supply and outputs 105 watts per channel, 2 channels driven, into 8 ohms @ 0.08% THD

Hi @Hampy1972 I don't wish to rain on your parade, as the X3400H is a might fine AVR. But, unfortunately, it is not 50% more powerful than the X2400H

X2400H has a 500 watt power supply and outputs 95 watts per channel, 2 channels driven into 8 ohms @ 0.08% THD.

X3400H has a 600 watt power supply and outputs 105 watts per channel, 2 channels driven, into 8 ohms @ 0.08% THD
I should have said *suppose to be*, I have had both and tbh, I would have kept the 2400H and put the extra towards better speakers or sub.

I've got the Denon X3500H paired with an LG C8 and a 5.1.2 Atmos system and I wholly recommend the amp to anyone. It is a solid amp with many features, very stable and reliable, nice and powerful, it just works as you expect it to.

Will go nicely with the LG C9 which is native hdmi 2.1, as the amp has some hdmi 2.1 features i.e. eARC, ALLM, VRR etc.

I wouldn't even think twice, just buy the X3500H if you can get your hands on one!

I am also looking at the Denon X3500H, I am just wondering whether it is powerful enough to drive bigger speakers than those small satellite ones.

Loving the 1080 myself, haven't had to use the sleep cos it'll switch itself off after 10min of no signal anyway if iv not switched it off already and at 165w x7(6ohm) 130 x7(8ohm) it's got plenty of juice.

I am also looking at the Denon X3500H, I am just wondering whether it is powerful enough to drive bigger speakers than those small satellite ones.

Bigger speakers tend to be more efficient than little ones so, despite what seems a contradiction, they often need less power to achieve the same volume.

On the other hand, if you have inefficient speakers it might be lacking but you'd be spending well in excess of a grand to get anything that gives a significant power increase and would normally be looking at adding external amplification instead.

Loving the 1080 myself... ...at 165w x7(6ohm) 130 x7(8ohm) it's got plenty of juice.

It doesn't deliver anything remotely close to that, the 165w is just one channel driven and the Denon gives a claimed 180w in the same circumstances.

And to think that the sticker that was on the front said 165w x 7 lied to me.lol.(not x1)

And to think that the sticker that was on the front said 165w x 7 lied to me.lol.(not x1)
Let's say that most receiver manufacturers are somewhat economical with the truth. The figure you have to look at the one published for one channel being driven at any given ohm loading, which for the Sony is and pasted from their specification sheet.

Power Output165W (6ohms, 1kHz, 1ch driven THD 0.9%)

Me too! I have AVR 4300 that does not pass through Dolby Vision and I am not sure if Denon ever released that promised firmware’s

It didn't lie to you, you took it the way their marketing department hoped you would rather than how they would argue it in court. You have 7 channels capable of being fed 165w.

More damning is the 1080 only has a 240w power supply so if all channels were needing full power you'd probably be looking at a whole 30w each. The Denon on the other hand has 600w to share around.

There is a bench test of the Yamaha 1080 here, if you like the science:

A 7 channel driven power test of a previous model, the RXA1000 shows 53 watts with all 7 channels driven:

There is a bench test of the Yamaha 1080 here, if you like the science:

A 7 channel driven power test of a previous model, the RXA1000 shows 53 watts with all 7 channels driven:

It is the Sony strdn 1080 I'm talking about, sorry for the confusion should've put Sony first.

The Sony 1080 bench test is here:

7 channels driven into 8 ohms at 0.1% THD is 64.4 watts. Not quite the 165 watts that the manufacturers are trying to spin you!

The Sony 1080 bench test is here:

7 channels driven into 8 ohms at 0.1% THD is 64.4 watts. Not quite the 165 watts that the manufacturers are trying to spin you!
Lol just slightly off by 1 or 2. I think for 8ohm it says its130watts, it reckons 165 for 6ohms, but even so I wish they'd leave out the spin, or at least some of the reviewers would say something. Apologies to any reviewers who have and iv missed it.

Wow...that Denon AVR-X3500H looks a good buy!!
How might that sound with my M.A. Vector speakers I wonder?
Currently have 7.1 rigged up with YAMAHA rx v771.....GREAT....but no 4K...!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom