1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking for new DvD player

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by spikeyboyo, Jul 26, 2002.

1. spikeyboyo

spikeyboyo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Currently have a Pioneer 626D.

Other equipment: Ruark Prologue one main speakers, Ruark Dialogue One Center, Mission 77DS rears, Padigram PS 1000 sub, Philips 36PW9607C telly, Denon AVR 3300 amp.

Ive been looking at the Pioneer 747 dvd player, but just wondered if there are any other good quality player (ok wioth CD play back as well) that anyone would recommend - needs to be able to play SVCD as well.

Thanks

Spike

2. Kornmod

Kornmod
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I bought the Sony DVP-NS900V in April and I will definitely recommend it. It doesn't play DVD-Audio nor MP3 but it will play everything else, including DVD-R and DVD-RW. It's CD playback quality is almost as good as my £500 cd-player. It's also very, very fast when it comes to the search/skip functions
    There are only 2 things that annoys my:
    1. Why the fudge hasn't Sony done like Devon and installed a memory so we would be free of the pause when changing layers?!? :confused:
    2: When playing SACD with 5.1 input to my receiver there's simply not enough bass (and it's not because of cheap or u/s interconnectors)

3. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I thought all DVD players played CDs and virtually all play VCD and SVCD.

You mean Denon surely ;) Lots of their players now come with between 2 and 4 Mb buffer memory to "decrease or eliminate layer change pauses". I presume it's a matter of cost. I'm sure all players will come with this in due course; it's just a matter of waiting for the technology to become so dirt cheap as to not be an issue.

4. Kornmod

Kornmod
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    A memory buffer can't be that expensive for DENON :) also have it in their cheap/low end players. And the NS900 is a £500+ player so if they had installed a buffer and increased the price by £20-£30 it would make that big a difference

5. stranger

stranger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    you can adjust bass management in the 900s setup menu, also always use wide range unless using tiny speakers or playing through a t.v.
    spikeyboyo, the sony is a great dvd and cd player and is a bargain that you can get for about£330.00 or less, if you prefer dvd audio a great oplayer at a bargain price is the toshiba sd900 for £699.99 @ http://www.leconcepts.com

6. spikeyboyo

spikeyboyo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the input guys.

Would really prefer a player that does both DVDA and SACD - is the Pioneer the only current play to do this ?

What i meant about being able to play CD is that it plays them well - not just like a cheap CD player :)

Nope not all players play SVCD - mine (Pioneer 626D) doesnt :(

Spike

7. Kornmod

Kornmod
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    stranger:
    I am aware of that you can adjust the bass in the setup menu, but eventhough I have cranked it up to +10, there's still not enough bass. I've got the Sony speaker system Pascal VE-705 and it's like the signal to the subwoofer is much "weaker" than normal. In the setup the speakers are set to "small" and the subwoofer is set to "yes". I have also tried to interchange the insterconnectors but it didn't help. And it's not some cheap interconnectors either, it's Teralabs prism 500 connectors.
    I'm planning to buy a couple of B&W 604s3 speakers and hopefully they will solve the problem.
    Thanx for the reply though

spikeyboyo:
    As I wrote before. The cd playback quality is almost as good as my £500 cd-player.

8. Justin@UH

Justin@UH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    Spike, theres the new Marantz DV8300 that can do this, plus the new Pioneer DV656A due end of august (under £350).

Hope this helps

J