1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking for new 5.1 / 6.1 set

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Jimbo73, Oct 15, 2004.

1. Jimbo73

Jimbo73

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi,

I've been looking at buying the Evo 3B 5.1 setup for a while, but they are still coming in a bit on the pricey side.

I'm looking for a setup that is good for both movies and music, particularly one which can still give clarity at low volume levels.

The room is quite big, 5m x 8m. For what I've heard about (and from) the Evo's they'd be perfect... of they weren't so dear!

So - any suggestions for a cheaper set of speakers?

Thanks!

PS. I've got a Yamaha DSP-AX750SE amp and a Pio 575A DVD player for the media...

2. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    I would hold out for the Evo set or buy it piece meal. You can pick up the evo3's for £250 and the centre for £119. These are the most important speakers to match tonally. Then you could get some different rears. I use the old Eltax HT2 bipolars (along with a few others on her) and find them very good for films. They are about £70 from good old RS.
    http://www.richersounds.sv01.net/index.php?f=itemdetl.php&p=301231

Or about £694 inc postage for the 3b set.

If not how much is your budget for speakers?

3. Jimbo73

Jimbo73

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    That's Dfour - some good advice, unfortunately over the weekend I visited Sevenoaks and auditioned the EVOs. They were kind enough to pricematch Digital Direct's 694.99 for the EVOs and I just happened to have the right credit card with me ... doh...

Anyway, FWIW, they are a superb piece of kit, well worth all the praise.

4. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    It can be very dangerous to walk in places like Sevenoaks with a a credit card :rotfl: Im glad you have them and Like them, IMHO I think they are a superb set of speakers for the money:D