• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Question Looking for my next lens for my crop sensor Nikon

Mike RB

Established Member
I'm looking for some advice on my next lens. I have a Nikon D3300 and have the 18-55mm VRii kit lens and the DX 35mm 1.8.

I'm in no way a professional or even close to it but some friends have seen some shots I've taken of my children and have asked for some family portraits.

I've been mostly using my 35mm and these will be outside shots and I'm thinking something longer might be more suitable. I also want a longer reach lens anyway as I miss having the longer reach that I had a on previous camera.

I'm on a tight budget and looking for opinions on the Nikon 55-200 VRii lens. If I were to go for this, then would it be worth saving a little money and go for the VR1 version? I looked at the Tamron 70-300 though its got no vibration reduction I believe. I'd miss that at long reaches I'd imagine?

Any alternatives I should consider? I'm looking to get some nice bokeh on outside shots which I should get from the 55-200 unless I'm mistaken.

Advice much appreciated.

twist

Distinguished Member
Tamron 70-300 VC (has stabilisation) or Nikon 70-300 VR. Youll get decent bokeh at the longer end but dont forget aperture also effects bokeh. Could consider the 50mm 1.8G.

Mike RB

Established Member
Tamron 70-300 VC (has stabilisation) or Nikon 70-300 VR. Youll get decent bokeh at the longer end but dont forget aperture also effects bokeh. Could consider the 50mm 1.8G.

Thanks. At the moment I'd not consider the 50mm only because I'd like something with longer reach as my next lens. What's the general opinion on the Nikon 55-200? It seems to get mixed reviews, but I can't ignore that I can get it very cheap.

The Tamron looks good but I wouldn't be able to stretch to that just yet. Worth the extra over the Nikon?

twist

Distinguished Member
Thanks. At the moment I'd not consider the 50mm only because I'd like something with longer reach as my next lens. What's the general opinion on the Nikon 55-200? It seems to get mixed reviews, but I can't ignore that I can get it very cheap.

The Tamron looks good but I wouldn't be able to stretch to that just yet. Worth the extra over the Nikon?

Its a kit zoom. It will be as good as your kit 18-55 in terms of quality and build, optically similar.

Yes, the Tamron VC is better.

snerkler

Distinguished Member
As Twist says the Tamron would be your better option for a telephoto, or even a used Nikon 70-300mm VR. However, none of these lenses are particularly ideal for portraits and I wouldn't say bokeh will be great on any of them either.

Lancia34

Distinguished Member
What about another prime such as the Sigma 105mm f2.8? It's a macro lens but would be good for portraits at a distance so will give a very different composition from your 35mm.
I have the 35mm and love it and the only other lens I use is the Sigma 18-250 which is my walkabout lens and is pretty good albeit a bit soft at the edges when wide open.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom