Question Looking for my ideal server/streamer

howardg

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi I'd appreciate your thoughts on moving away from using a computer as the music server (currently using Win PC - foobar -ifi Micro idsd - headphones). The idsd offers great flexibility as regards file type, sample rate and sound quality.

My first thoughts led me to investigate a dedicated music server that can process hi res files; flac & DSD up to the same sample rates as the idsd but these units tend to be at the high end of the audio market. They also tend to function as streamers and allow access to Tidal etc which pushes up their cos. I have less interest in the streaming option at this point. The cheaper or older servers seem not to handle DSD or only process up to PCM 24/96. The other attribute I need is a display on the server to allow me to see the file info such as track names etc. Many servers uttilse apps for this function which complicates the issue.

The mid-range devices eg Pioneer, Marantz etc. process hi-res files from a usb drive but don't output over usb which means I lose the bit perfect capability of the idsd's usb input (or any other dac if I upgrade). I was hoping to find a solution for about £500 but this is very unlikely. It looks like I will have to spend considerably more.

My requirements for a device (either a dedicated music server or a device which incorporates these functions):
usb input for hdd or usb drive
Output via usb for bit perfect playback
Can process PCM to 96/192 DSD to 512
Remote to control menu
Display to show track info etc.
Android app friendly

Any suggestions gratefully appreciated

Can't think of any way to do all you want other than on a PC. Why do you need to move away from PC?

It's it's noise/size then JRiver on a low powered, fanless laptop, eg Lenovo Ideapad, 120s with Gizmo as the Android controller is about all I can think of. Maybe upping the laptop to a 2-in-1 model that can fold the screen to an orientation that suits & adds a touch screen.

Last edited:
It may be worth looking at Roon (Roon Labs).

It is several bits - a core which is a music server that can run on a Linux NAS (QNAP/Synology) or a standalone Linux box - intel NUC for eg, or run on a PC or mac. Then there is a the controller UI which runs on iOS/Android and PC/Mac and the final bit is the network audio bridge - its part of the install for PC/Mac but can be use separately on ARM and x64 Linux machines with a USB DAC (including raspberry PI). There are also a load of hifi products that support it directly - Bluesound, Naim along with Airplay and chromecast devices for multi zone use.

I am running a Roon setup on a QNAP TS251+ NAS with audio from a Raspberry PI into a pro-ject S2 digital DAC (music from NAS, Tidal with MQA and various internet radio services). The R-PI use serves as a basic transport touch controller and now playing screen. It has a good UI with a lot of good artist info and cross-links across artists producers etc which I find great for discovery.

Auralic Aries mini would do everything you need except android app controller. Unfortunately it is iOS only.

Thanks for your replies. Auralic Aries Mini + Ipad seems the best option at the best price. I need to track down a good used Mini and ipad.
Cheers

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom