• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Question Looking for my first projector

Leon777Leon

Novice Member
I've done a fair bit of YouTube review crawling but it would seem they're all interested in selling the affiliate links!
I'm considering the:
Epson EH-TW7400
does anyone know how 'good' the faux 4k is on this, I have sky q so I have high bitrate 4k content as an input.
and can anyone comment on the 3d?

also alternatives in a similar price point?

thanks in advanced!

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
how much are u getting 7400 for?

epson projectors are great. good build quality, good PQ, great feature set, every premium feature you can imagine for placement, electronic lens protection.

very high brightness for 3D too.

if u can stretch 9400 do that.

Leon777Leon

Novice Member
£2000

The 9040 is an extra £1k

My thinking was spend decent money on a screen rather than sink the entire budget on a projector and have it on a white wall?

GrazzaB

Distinguished Member
One thing to add is that the 7400 can’t do 50 or 60hz in HDR which may I guess be an issue if you watch 4K sport on Sky? Although it would still play it in SDR so it would only be the wider colour you’d really be missing out on. If you’re a gamer then the 9400 is definitely the one to go for as it does 60fps in HDR / 4K and that will only become more and more important.

GrazzaB

Distinguished Member
PS you don’t need to spend anything near £1000 to get a good enough pull down or fixed screen, more like £250 if you’re just starting out

Luminated67

Distinguished Member
I've decided to wait a while, increase my budget and get the featureset I want rather than comprise now!

I rate the Epson 9400 very highly and this isn’t just because I own one, get the room conditions right and get it’s professional calibrated it can produce a stunning image worthy of a machine way more expensive. Feed it a very good quality source and you will get a very good quality picture.

F2407851-6AFF-4717-BC7B-D22E66DF00B0.jpeg

If in doubt check out my movie image collection below.

Last edited:
You could get a used JVC projector, X500 and newer, just calculate in your screen size, and it will outperform any LCD and DLP options out there.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom