Looking for Mp3 player.

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by avfrms5032, Apr 13, 2018.

Tags:
  1. avfrms5032

avfrms5032

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    so as an example

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-NWZE585-Walkman-Video-Player/dp/B00E3PUD1E/ref=sr_1_17?ie=UTF8&qid=1523612647&sr=8-17&keywords=mp3+player&refinements=p_89:Sony,p_72:419153031

and

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-Resolution-Walkman-Cancelling-Headphone/dp/B0798C43RM/ref=sr_1_31?ie=UTF8&qid=1523612647&sr=8-31&keywords=mp3+player&refinements=p_89:Sony,p_72:419153031

would there be much difference in sound quality between the too, its the audio quality that matters, the range of songs i will use is quite small 2gig at the most

something that concerns me about sony is DMR, i had a sony some years ago NWZ... great sound but some mp3 tracks it wouldnt take because of them being copied.

the other ting is that im fussy about in ear phones, its easy for them to be uncomfortable

anyone know brands that do a player without them.

im willing to go £200 on in ear phones, but thats not good economy if the player has an £80 pair bundled.

i cant go £500 on a player that would be too much

2. dannnielll

dannnielll

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +557
    The noise cancelling earbuds .. part no ending in .750 on the Sony's are excellent sound wise and easy to wear. They are also very effective on trains and noisy restauants. ... I have been in restaurant ques where two women were talking accross me, and I could not here aathing they were saying , just enjoying the music. regarding the Sony music player ..and I have both the NWA 25 and 35 and both sound excellent. The 35 is now replaced by the slightly more versatile 45, which apparently can be used as a usb to analogue hi fi DAC convertor.
    There is just one anomaly. Normal earphones or headphones plugged into the Sony' music player sound normal.. I occasionally use sennheisser cx5.00 in ear and Sony MDR 1R headphones which are excellent, but the reverse is not true. Were you to plug the noise cancelling Sony earbuds into anything else other than the Sony music player they sound awful. I am sure it is due to the extra connections within the 3.5mm plug, used for its built in microphones. So basically the Sony 750 earbuds are a one trick pony and work only with compatible Sony kit., But then they work exceedingly well .
    I would need the sennheisser for use with my Samsung phone in any event.
    There is, as far as i can gather , no DRM on CDs. . The Sony supply a pc app called Media Go . When I loaded this it was able to sort through all the music residing in MP3 format and apple formats on my computer drives,, including stuff in an iTunes library and make it available. Since then, I have been re ripping some of my music into FLAC, using the media go programme and storing it on the pc and then transferring it to the SD card fitted into the music. The Sony has apparently no difficulty with Flac, wav, MPs ,alac and labels each accordingly.
    The best combination for me is using the full overear Sony Headphones along with the NWA35 playing FLAC music files, .in non noise cancelling mode. But since the headphone were 300 dollars list price, is that surprising? .That combination seems to me unbeatable at any price point I am prepared to go. There is very little to choose between the sennheisser and the Sony earbuds, except that only the Sony offer .noise cancelling. And the senna can be used elsewhere.
    As far as i know, Sony offer these A35 and A45 models with either noise cancelling phones bundled or not as A or B variants. So you pays your money and makes your choice.
    There is one other hiccup. .. the Sony music players use a standard usb connection to connect to a charger or PC , but use their own special 20?? Way connection into the music player

3. avfrms5032

avfrms5032

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Many thanks, thats really helpful.
    I have some queries.

"The best combination for me is using the full overear Sony Headphones along with the NWA35"
    which headphones are these, the ones bundled with the NWA35 or did you buy others, you say they were $300, im unsure if that means you got a $300 headphones bundled with the player.

If you bought extra headphones for the device could you tell me which ones please.

The NWA35 on Amazon include headphones with no option to buy the player seperatly.
    Sound quality is my biggest concern.
    Once again thank you - a really helpful reply.

4. avfrms5032

avfrms5032

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I have another question please.
    How is it with custom album compilations, ones ive created myself and can it handle playlists.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
  5. JayCee

JayCee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,396
    There are Sony NW-A35’s on Amazon.co.uk without headphones.

6. avfrms5032

avfrms5032

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    thanks, i think i will go for the NW-A45

7. dannnielll

dannnielll

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +557
    Ok.
    I do most of my music listening on headphones and have done so for decades. I have always liked the sennheisser brand and have stuff of theirs since the early 1980s ... I also have an embarrassing number of middle priced earbuds, .. those which came with phones and others I bought myself. The most expensive of the earbuds purchased was the sennheisser CXg 5.00 at a cost of about 90 euro. .. they are very clear.
    I was in NY three years ago and flush with retirement money, i bought, for me. E xpensive headphones, to replace my disintegrating over eare sennheissers. The replacements were Sony MDR 1R large over ear phones , with very good specs, good reviews and very comfortable over my big head. Had I not succumbed to that temptation, i would certainly have bought new Sennheisser Momentum over ears, which also sound very good and are comfortable.
    I do not regret giving in to the temptation and probably wear them every day...
    Now comparing the three .
    At home, the Sony MDR is the preferred option, slightly more clarity ,but they are bulky and not suitable for outdoors, unless geekyness is the look being sought. So at home I might be using the Sony MDR with a computer music card, and then with a tablet or the phone for Deezer and maybe then the Sony music player.
    The sennheisser cx5.00 has been my go to phones for outside use, particularly when I was using my Samsung phone as a music player. I have no complaints about them. The only problem with any in ear phones is that they make the ears itchy.
    When I bought the Sony NWA 25, I got it at a good price as end of stock. I wanted something with a radio and the claim that it was high Res was a bonus.. it came with the nw750 ear buds. These are complex earphones with a 5 way jackplug as there are tiny microphones in the ear piece. These microphones sample the external noise outside the ear, and the electronics in the player then subtracts this , so cancelling it out.
    As earplug phones they are surprisingly good. In comparison with the sennheisser, and if playing the Sony music player, I would not care whether I was wearing these or the sennheisser, and would not bother crossing the room to swop them out. The Sony nw 750 is very comfortable to wear in the ear, but eventually makes me itchy. But you cannot use the Sony NW750 with any other device other than the specified Sony music olayer.
    Even more recently i came accross the Sony A35, in another shop and in their bargain bin, and the price was too attractive to bypass... So after a year of excellent service, the A25, is now sitting uncharged and unloved. The version of the A35 I got did not come with any earpieces, noise cancelling or otherwise. It was designated as a model B. I was pleasantly surprised to find it had all the necessary electronics to work with the 750 ear buds and that it was a listed option in the setup menu.
    So after all that I hope you have the gist.
    There is nothing wrong with the Sony'750 noise cancelling earpieces, they are comparable in sound quality to sennheisser cx5, but neither are as clear as headphones which cost three times as much as either.and all is right with the world.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
  8. avfrms5032

avfrms5032

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Thanks just to be clear what s the make of the "adphones which cost three times as much as either" - the ones you actually use.

9. avfrms5032

avfrms5032

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Im concerned the battery can only be recharged 500 times, so sony say some settings can reduce battery life 70% - so its possible if you listen to them 12 hours a day the life of the things would be
    less than 2 years.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2018
  10. dannnielll

dannnielll

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +557
    As I have said for home use i use Sony overear MDR1R phones which cost 300 dollars list. And I also use both my senns at 89 euro and the Sony noise cancelling buds, which came with the A25 ... Just depends what's closer.
    The battery lasts around 24 hrs in use on theA35, it depends on whether one is listening to FLAC or MP3 or the radio and they have a setting whereby the battery is not as fully charged , so it's good for many more cycles. I would reckon it's good for up to 4 years. the 500 cycles is not a lifetime, it is a measure at which the duration is significantly reduced... Obviously if the screen is on it depletes quicker, but most of the time it's off... There is a push button on the side and when pushed the screen lights up, the touch screen becomes active , when not touched, or the screen not touched , then the screen shuts down after a few seconds. There are additional buttons on the side for volume , changing songs etc. So except for some reqreas, the device can be managed in pocket

11. avfrms5032

avfrms5032

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Thanks that clears up some stuff, id imagine the battery can be replaced, theres probably a utube video, i think i will stick with the bundled ear phones, from what iv'e read they seem pretty decent
    once again thanks for your experience

12. dannnielll

dannnielll

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +557
    Getting the bundled 750 ear buds is a good call, they are pretty good in any event and comparable with other ones in the same price range and more importantly they are the only ones which can use the noise cancelling built into the player.

13. avfrms5032

avfrms5032

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    arrived today bit disapointed with the ear phones, cheap looking and feel cheap, are they really worth £100 ?.

14. JayCee

JayCee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,396
    Are you sure they're the same ones danniellI has?
    Do they have 4 “rings” on the mini jack plug?

15. dannnielll

dannnielll

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +557
    Well they don't have much chrome, just plain black cylinders with a metal grill on the outside, but with the proper sized rubber bung to fill up the ear canal, they are very good the cylinders are slightly longer than some, presumably so that the microphone can pick up the sounds outside the ear. Compared to any other noise cancelling units, they are a model in miniturisation . As JC says, the connector is the standard diameter 3.5mm but has actually 5 connections. 4 rings and the tip . Unless it is a different model, yours should have the same features.

16. avfrms5032

avfrms5032

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    They have 4 rings on the mini jack plug.
    The guarantee defines them as IER-NW500N/NE.

The NW A45 settings headphones has three options.
    IER-NW500N/NE.
    MDR-NW750N/NE.
    and
    Other.
    all 3 settings work, im presuming i want them set too IER-NW500N/NE.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
  17. avfrms5032

avfrms5032

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I need to test them a bit, you know when your a bit rushed and jump to conclusions, cheers.

18. dannnielll

dannnielll

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +557
    Ok.. I don't know whether they are a better or worse model than my 750 , but certainly you need to select the correct profile. .. my A35 only recognises the 750 as the noise cancelling option.

19. avfrms5032

avfrms5032

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    So are you saying your bundle had different headphones, not the IER-NW500N/NE

20. dannnielll

dannnielll

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +557
    You would need to go back and read my previous posts but. The Sony. A25 I bought was the model from say 3 years back and it was bundled with the nw750 ear buds. When I got the A35 two months ago, which was also the newly obsolete model, it was the version without any phones , but it immediately recognised the nw750 and would use the noise cancelling with it. It only has two options for ear phones... The nw750 and other.
    The nw500 look identical physically to my nw 750, so may well be an improved model. ..it is 3 years later in terms of development.

21. avfrms5032

avfrms5032

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10

Thanks
    I cant find them on Amazon
    but they are on E-Bay
    SONY IER-NW500N | eBay
    £75
    So i paid roughly £25 more through getting the bundle.

22. dannnielll

dannnielll

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +557
    No quite, you would have paid the difference in postage, and perhaps import duty, if it's picked up and have lost the opportunity for a working guarantee if buying from USA.

23. avfrms5032

avfrms5032

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    What troubles me about these SONY IER-NW500N ear phones is they don't seem to for sale anywhere - except Japan and the USA - but not by any major seller, so there are no customer reviews. I'm thinking they're cheap crap just bundled on the sly by Sony, they do that sometimes.

24. dannnielll

dannnielll

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +557
    No i don't think so. The 750 and by extension your 500 only have a value when bundled with the Sony music players. They are the only devices that can use the noise cancelling feature. So the reason they are on limited sale is because the only market will be for those people who damaged their headsets outside warranty or those who bought units without headsets, and now want to upgrade. Why would anyone seek to sell them to the general public when?
    1. They only work as noise cancelling in the Sony machines
    2. They do not work as ordinary earphones in non Sony machines. ..the microphones interfere with the sound.
    If you want to see their value, Google the price of noise cancelling earphones, and i think you will be pleasantly surprised. Remember these are active noise cancelling not just ear bungs

25. avfrms5032

avfrms5032

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    The noise cancelling does nothing far as i can tell, i think its a money making gimmick, besides which if you make a quick buck by bundling some cheap ear phones at an inflated price with a player you then wouldn't want to sell them widely because the reviews would be bad.
    I'm a bit wise to Sony, they're skilled at dressing up crap and making it sound good.
    Testing the player, im not impressed by the sound, the touch screen is unpredictable responsive and the battery symbol which was nearly full is now on the last marking after less than 30 minutes of playing.
    So i've put it on charging well see in 4 hours.

26. dannnielll

dannnielll

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +557
    Read my previous postings on the subject...The noise cancelling . certainly work for me in trains and planes and noisy cafes . obviously, they will not appear to work, when there is no noise to cancel. Now I have responded honestly to all your questions and have given the best advice I can, but if you are determined to be disgruntled, then there is nothing more to be said.
    As I have both a A25 and an A35 not an A45, it is evident that I am a satisfied consumer.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
  27. avfrms5032

avfrms5032

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    That's a bit rude and angry. "determined to be disgruntled" that's appallingly childish, defensive and dishonest. My experience of the NW A45 isn't a personnel affront to you, or criticism of you.
    My experience of the NW A45 is my experience of the NW A45. That's reality. No point having a site like this if experiences of technology weren't different, and no point posting responses if at the end of the day you have to be agreed with. My advice to you is go and have a massive cry and get over it.

28. dannnielll

dannnielll

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +557
    I have not taken it personally. Your experience of the A45 is negligible, but since I don't have one more than mine. I have extensive experience of the nw750 ear phones and the A25 and more limited but highly satisfactory experience with the A35 , with which I am pleased.
    However if you read more objectively what you have written, you might come to the same conclusion I came to.
    You have complained about the construction of, the price and the performance of nw500 ,using indaquate data eg without including import duty and carriage costs, . You have ignored, as irrelevant, the single major selling point which is the noise cancelling .
    Now I don't know what type of music you are playing in the A45, whether it is FLAC or MP3, but this will matter,as if the source is poor the sound will also be poor. Silk purses and sows ears etc.
    My experience is that using either of the three headsets I mentioned and with good quality source material, of the type I enjoy, the results are stunningly good.

29. avfrms5032

avfrms5032

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Take it easy, it's not like you own Sony ?.

So, yes you don't own the Sony NW A45 player or the Sony IER-NW500N ear phones, so you have no experiential knowledge of them, i do, and if a piece of Audio technology is not up to scratch then it's often obvious pretty quickly.

I'm not sure what your beef is, your over wrought about nothing except somebody's experience of something you have no experience of.

Relax it's not worth it, especially when you are hopelessly in the wrong. :D

30. avfrms5032

avfrms5032

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Solved.
    I connected my old Sennheiser cx 300 II ( costs £30 now ) to the NW A45, the sound gain - body, quality, depth and clarity - noticeably better, and i mean noticeably. That's noticeably better than the ear phones - Sony IER-NW500N - that Sony claim are dedicated to the NW A45 for quality of sound and charge £100 for.
    I new it was a mistake to buy Sony.
    Case Closed.