Looking for mATX mobo with 8x AGP

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Messiah, Mar 29, 2003.

1. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +338
    Anyone know of one? I've looked just about everywhere on-line but just can't find one. Anyone know of one hiding somewhere :D

Thanks.

2. james.miller

james.miller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    i have to ask why? AGPx8 doesnt make a blind bit of difference from AGPx4, and AGPx8 cards are all backwards-compatible. why would you want one?

3. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +338
    If that is the case why are manufacturers making and selling x8 AGP cards and mobos. Of course it makes a difference. It doubles the available bandwidth from 1.1 GB/s (4x AGP) to 2.1 GB/s, enabling more complex models and detailed textures, creating richer and more lifelike environments. How on earth can you say it does not make a difference. Try running Unreal 2k3 on a 4x then try it on an optimised system with 8x card. See the difference? And that's why.

What the heck is the point of paying extra for an x8 AGP graphics card only to throttle it back by putting it in a x4 slot.

Apologies, but I beg to differ :D

4. james.miller

james.miller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    thats your opinion, but you havnt shown the proof.

fact is, agpx8 is JUST the availible bandwidth, nothing else. it DOES NOT mean that that bandwidth is used. just as ATA133 is a waste for Hardrives (the reason why so many manufactures were reluctant to adopt it), the same goes for agpx8. there is very little difference, and for what difference there is, you wont even notice it.

if you dont believe me - go here: http://www.tech-report.com/reviews/2002q4/gf4-8x/index.x?pg=5
    see the difference between agp4 and agp8 on the ti4200? are you seriously telling me you are going to notice a difference of 1 frame-per-second? i really doubt it...

you can keep believing all you like, but i know the facts

notice what i underlined?

5. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +338
    James

I did not post here with aview to getting into a flame war over opinions. I guess maybe you had a tough night :D

However, may I suggest that you also read the whole article and not just one part of it. the article clearly states that the power of 8x AGP is not YET utilised. Now, I am not saying that future games will ever use the greater bandwidth but having been around PCs for some 20 years (since PETs and Tontos etc) I for one am assuming that software mfrs will indeed begin to take advantage of the higher bandwidths in the not too distant future.

If you do not then that is your perrogative. Let's just have our own views eh? and if I want an 8x AGP then I hope you'll let me make that choice :smashin:

6. MuFu

MuFu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4

Are you in marketing? [​IMG]

The fact is, texture fetches across the AGP are *always* going to be too slow to be of practical use. Even once the transition to PCI-X has been made, onboard framebuffers will continue to expand in order to swallow up the entire texture footprint.

Of course it is your prerogative to insist on having an AGP 8x-compliant mobo, but IMHO it's an incredibly redundant feature. If you have been "around PCs" for 20 years as you claim, then surely you have realised by now that the industry is primarily steered by marketing B$ and redundant features?

MuFu.

7. Orbitalzone

Orbitalzone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    I'm still not sure how much more 4x agp makes over 2x!

I suppose it all depends on the hardware and software.

I suppose if you're buying new things you may as well try to get the best but I wouldn't make it my number one decision... I'd go for stability and quality first. For example you could get a PC Chips motherboard with AGP8X but it would no doubt suck considerably compared to a decent brand motherboard that sported AGP4X

Don't always believe the hype

;)

8. james.miller

james.miller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    as i and everybody else has stated, APGx8 is of little or no use.
    im not flaming you, and yes, i did read the whole article.

let's think about ata133 again. As i said, its not utilised. But already Sata-150 is out (150mb/sec). whats the point? purly to try and help flaging sales, that's all.
    by the time graphics card will be able to utilise AGPx8, AGP slots will be long gone, and, i suspect, the first revision of pci-x will be aswell.

I'm not telling you what to get, but i AM telling you its a waste of time to buy any hardware primarily based on what AGP standard it supports. If you want it, then by all means get it, buy dont say i told you so.

9. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +338
    Ok, Ok, tThanks guys. I'm not saying I'm right, just that I wanted a particular mobo that would support the full feature set of the graphics card I bought. Rightly or wrongly that's all I want. If I'm buying a new board anyway (which I am) why not ensure it supports all the features (or spec) of the card.

Anyway, based on the above I will stick with the 4x board I have (unfortunately I think it is a PC Chips one as that's all the local guy had a couple of weeks ago :( )

10. Orbitalzone

Orbitalzone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Oops... me and my big mouth....

Well I also have had 2 PC Chips mobos in the past and they did work but I was annoyed that PC Chips effectively lied about their features. Non existant UDMA support on both boards despite being advertised with that feature, dodgy tech support, drivers and a general low quality made me realise that a quality motherboard makes all the difference.

In all fairness, PC Chips boards do offer amazing value for money.. and if you get a good combination of components that work together happily you'll probably have no real issues.

It's just one of those things, you get what you pay for.

11. mephistopheles

mephistopheles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well it's a shame we didn't get to find out whether or not a mATX with AGP8X exists out there, but frankly, who cares?

Sorry, messiah, james.miller is absolutely right. After 20 years I would have thought you'd have caught on by now...........Don't you know how the industry works? Just like ATA133, AGP8X is a theoretical technical advance and nobody needs it.

Personally, I like to show off about my technical nerdy know-how by not getting ripped off and taken for a gullible mug.

12. Iain Shields

Iain Shields

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    :confused:

I've just read this thread and am wondering what's going on with all the negative replies?!?

Messiah just posted a question on where to find a mobo with some features that he wanted it to have... instead he got pressured into believing that those features he wanted were useless and that (the impression that I got from the replies) he was gullible for wanting them.

I'm not debateing weather or not your right in stating this, I would be very interested in reading a proper discussion on this topic myself (perhaps one of you could start a thread on "useless" features on computer components)... I just think you could have informed Messiah in a nicer way instead of using the IMHO peer-pressure mentality that was used.

Regards,
    Iain

13. nfordenfield

nfordenfield
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hold off the attack on Messiah guys, he's not Sadam..............

I recently built a HCPC and wanted all the bells and whistles on it.
    Yes mine has AGPx8 and a 9700 Pro. I could have built it for half the price if i'd gone for a £20 case, £100 chip/mobo combo from Maplins etc.........

This forum is here to help everyone, not line em up and shoot em.