• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Looking for matte 46"-55" for gaming, blu-ray and pc. No plasma.

edeard

Standard Member
I recently gave away my Panasonic V20 50" to my parents, as the image retention and floating blacks on it was close to unbearable. I stuck with it for two years, and now it's time for something new.

I'm not an enthusiast anymore, so I'm not obsessive about it, but i still can't tolerate major issues like image retention and floating blacks. Also, the artifacts that settings like intelligent frame creation can create, also gets to me. I'll take a blurry loss of information any day. On my V20 i preferred to keep it on, especially for blu-ray, cause the motion was really bad otherwise. And the phosphor trails didn't help.

You probably realize by now that another plasma screen is out of the question. Even if most of those issues were fixed, I still wouldn't have complete peace of mind because of image retention, and it really doesn't matter how good the picture quality is, if i can't have that.

Recently i upgraded my pc monitor to a 27", which i am very happy with. BenQ GW2750HM Glossy Black 27" 4ms (GTG) HDMI Widescreen LED Backlight LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 DC 20,000,000:1 (5000:1) Built-in Speakers - Newegg.com

I use it to watch movies for the time being. And pc gaming is awesome. Got it really cheap and it does its job well. Motion isn't perfect, but nothing that bothers me too much. I've really missed a no frills screen where i don't have to worry about various issues, and image retention.

I hope you took the time to read all that. Now you know a little more about what kind of guy i am, and what i expect from a tv.

I really would like a matte screen if it is at all possible to get a decent one. I know most tv's are glossy these days, as people like nice shiny tv's adorning their living rooms. Priority will be gaming, pc gaming mainly in the beginning, for games that work well with a 360 controller, and eventually PS4 and the next Xbox. Next is blu-ray. And i have my pc connected through a 10 meter hdmi cable, which will be used mainly to stream movies and tv-episodes. I never actually watch television. It will be all hd content from either the pc or consoles.

So obviously i need a tv that handles gaming well.. good response times, not much input lag and it would be a nice if it didn't look like crap when playing a 30 fps console game.. the weird doubling effect that creates is usually apparent both on plasma and lcd/led. Is it even possible to avoid that?

Basically, i want a no frills matte 46"-55" television (or rather screen/monitor, in my case), mainly for gaming and movies, which has decent image quality and black levels, and that handles motion pretty well. As long as it doesn't have nasty things like image retention or floating blacks, i'd be happy.

If you took the time to read all that, thanks. Any suggestions?

Last edited:

maverick177uk

Distinguished Member
I'd love an answer to this as well, as I may be in the market soon for one and I'm going to the Gadget show so might be able to pick up a deal.

Scooby2000

Distinguished Member
Checkout the Panasonic WT60 at the Superfi stand, looked nice.

As for Matt screens, not sure you can get them now as LED back lit sets have glass.
I looked at the Samsung F8000 at the show and the uniformity was awful, may just have been settings etc but the Panasonic impressed me and Im not exactly an LCD fan.lol

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom