Looking for long s-video cable

Dick Sternum

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for a long (5m) s-video cable to connect my new 360 into my AV amp. Ideally I'd like something that would allow me to use my own cables, and also provide optical digital out. I have exactly this for the Xbox - a box that provides s-video, optical out etc, but have yet to find anything for the 360.

I've seen the Monster cable, but that does not appear to have the optical output.

DO look into what you doing, S-Video is a poor connection in relation to Component/HDMI or even SCART RGB for that matter. There is no need to take the XBOX video through a AV amp unless you really have to, i.e. lack of inputs on the TV.

Which is exactly why I'm doing it...

The display has three inputs. Component, used by the DVD player. Scart, used by the Sky box, and S-Video used by the AV processor. Switching cables on the display is not an option.

Whereas I may change the display, this will not be right away, so S-Video is the best connection I have right now, but thanks for the input.

I currently have the Joytech S-Video / Component cable going spare - although I dont think it's 5m long though, 3m at most I think. It's basically the same as the Official Component cable but with an additonal S-Video connection, as well as the optical output.

Was about £17 from Play I think...

Thanks for everyone's help so far, but all I can find are cables of 3 meters or less. I need at least 5 meters to reach the processor. Ideally I'm looking for something with a breakout box that allows me to use my own cabling.

Another alternative would be to get a component switch box and use component for both the DVD player and the 360. If you've already thought of that and don't want to go down that route then fair enough.

Yinujim.

Thanks, but that's just a normal s-vdeo lead (or am I missing something). The 360 has it's stupid propiatory port, for which, it seams I can only get pre built cables up to 3 meters.

Another alternative would be to get a component switch box and use component for both the DVD player and the 360. If you've already thought of that and don't want to go down that route then fair enough.

Yes, I don't want to go down that route for two reasons.

1. I didn't get one of the best DVD payers money can buy to put something in the middle of the signal path.
2. Component connection between DVD player and display uses BNC rather than phono, so I'd have to compromise signal quality even more.

At some point in the comming months (but not for a while yet), I'll probably switch the display to a 1080p panel, and therefore use HDMI (the 360 is an Elite), but would quite like to be able to use the 360 until then...

Hasn't your Panny got a VGA socket? I'm sure it has. Why cant you use a VGA lead with optical lead and then have hi-def picture and 5.1 all in one foul swoop???

Hasn't your Panny got a VGA socket? I'm sure it has. Why cant you use a VGA lead with optical lead and then have hi-def picture and 5.1 all in one foul swoop???

Actaully ignore that, your screen has terminal boards, so I assume one of them is not VGA. You could always change one of them for another component board couldn't you. Expensive, I know ;)

The screen does have a VGA input, but the HTPC is plugged into that!

I've bought a 3rd party cable that gives me optical out, RGB scart and Svideo, and I'll plug this into the back of the Sky+ Box for now. I can get an Svideo extension cable to go to the amp if needs be.

This problem will be solved when I change to a high def panel, but then I'll have a whole load of new problems!

Thanks for everyone's help so far, but all I can find are cables of 3 meters or less. I need at least 5 meters to reach the processor. Ideally I'm looking for something with a breakout box that allows me to use my own cabling.

Quite a few 5M S-Video cables here
HTH.

I'm looking for a long (5m) s-video cable to connect my new 360 into my AV amp. Ideally I'd like something that would allow me to use my own cables, and also provide optical digital out. I have exactly this for the Xbox - a box that provides s-video, optical out etc, but have yet to find anything for the 360.

I've seen the Monster cable, but that does not appear to have the optical output.

I would be after one of these:

http://www.play.com/Games/Xbox360/4-/3272955/Gamexpert-Cooler-King/Product.html

Has multiple output interfaces including both S-Video and S/PDIF

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom