1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking for LCD panel as secondary output

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by KraGorn, Jul 15, 2004.

1. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Okay, okay, I know, asked a million times :) .. but there's an important little point about the device I need which I don't see mentioned in this type of thread.

My HCPC is used mainly to drive a projector, I used PStrip to set it to 1024x576. However, there are times when firing up the pj is a pain, for these I want to use an LCD plugged into the secondary output on my ATI 9600 but without having to phaff around changing resolutions.

No problem there, I have two panels already BUT .. and this is the point of the question .. both insist on re-sizing the input to fit their native sizes, which is a royal PITA as you can imagine when a 16:9 image gets warped on to a 4:3 screen .. I just don't seen an anamorphic lens in this situation. :D

So, I'm looking for a panel, at least 1024x??? or preferably 1280x??? (to allow for my getting an HD2 later) which will happily display my current 1024x576 un-sized .. in the past I've seen laptops do this, putting the image in the middle, but the few LCD panels I've looked at all auto resize and can't be told not to. :rolleyes:

Can someone please give me some suggestions as to devices which will do what I need. I don't need great quality, nor fast response for gaming, this will be used mainly for when I'm running maintenance jobs like backups etc.

Ta

2. MikeTV

MikeTV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +843
    Can't you use the extended desktop feature (instead of mirroring), and run the LCD at it's native resolution (1024x768, or whatever)? I do that with a 4:3 panel, and 16:9 display, and then using the panel for routine tasks like backups or browsing is fine.

3. Brogan

Brogan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +481
    I run my TFT at 1600 x 1200.
    When I use my plasma I have to change the res to 1280 x 768.
    When I do this, I have the choice of scaling the image to the panel size on the TFT or leaving it in its native size so it's in a small window centered in the display...if that makes sense?
    Go to Display Properties -> Settings -> Advanced -> Displays and click on the TFT and uncheck "Scale image to panel size".
    Note this assumes you're using the ATI Catalyst Control Panel

4. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Thanks Brogan, but the issue here is that it's my LCD that's scaling .. it does it whether fed from Windows, DOS, even a DVD player via DVI.

Mike: I don't like the extended desktop feature, it's a PITA having to drag apps around and unless there's something I've missed it's only usable when both displays are on which is not what I'm trying to do .. but again, that's a Windows-only solution and I use more than Windows from time to time on this PC.

5. Scotty

Scotty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    I know this isn’t the answer you are looking for but hear me out

I have exactly the same problem

My solution: I have a number of quick launch short cuts on my toolbar one for each of my different powerstrip configurations one for each displays native panel modes.

Double click and a couple of seconds later I have the correct resolution for the panel.

My second LCD panel is a Samsung SyncMaster 172w (£250 PC world) native panel 1280 x 768 for when I upgrade to a HD2 proj

Now it has a menu option that allows you to keep the aspect of the fed resolution.

e.g. if you feed it a 1024 x 768 you can either have it stretched to fill the screen or centred in the middle.

Hope this is of some help

6. Brogan

Brogan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +481
    Which is exactly what my Dell TFT does via a menu option in the ATI Control Panel.

KraGorn, as we have the same video card, I can only assume this must be a limitation of your LCD panel.
    Time to get a new one.... ;)

7. Scotty

Scotty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Just to clarify,

the option to strech is an option on the Samsung screen menu.
    I havent used the ATI control panel option for my ATI 9600, but I'll check that out

8. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Er, that was the essence of my original post, to ask for suggestions :). I am aware it's a problem with my LG 565, there is no option that I can find that controls this, I was looking for suggested panels which DO provide this.

That's the sort of thing I was after, thanks Scotty. :smashin: