Looking for input and advice on a sub £1000 gaming rig

ChileanLlama

Dave, to be honest I almost suggested reesk92 just copied your signature, maybe swapping out the CPU :D
Does z68 support PCI 3.0 as well? Not looked into that...

moonbeam120

Nah unfortunatly mine doesn't support PCIe 3.0 but I'm pretty sure some high end Z68 boards do, but then you'd be as well getting a Z77 coz the price is much the same.

The question to ask yourself is, what PCIe 3.0 kit am I likely to buy in the next year or two. Personally I'm going to stick with what I've got for at least 18 - 24 months. I might add another GTX580 if I feel the need but thats about it..

Dave.

ChileanLlama

Yep no point for you IMO. You'd need an IB to enable PCI 3.0 and then the GTX580 is only PCI 2.0 as well.

You must be playing something pretty taxing or high res to be considering SLI 580's though :D

moonbeam120

I'm happy with the single card. BF3 plays no problem on ultra settings. Crysis 2 pushes it with th DX11 pack. Otherwise I just play SWTOR, Star Trek online and some older games. Its just that maybe in the future some game will come along that will benefit with onother GPU so I'm prepared if needed.

I use my PC to rip and encode my DVD Blu Ray library with some video editing thrown in for good measure, hence the 2600k CPU otherwise I would have stuck with the 2500k. Which really is the dog danglies for the money.

Dave

reesk92

Standard Member
chillian that setup you poset id perfect for me and thats what ill be using it has everything i would need including things i hadnt thought about the 1tb secondary drive is something that would be usefull to me and only 99 over budget which is not bad considering the 1tb hdd postage is 14 quid and they will deliver it all at once so im happy with that im a impatient sole and waiting for seperate deliverys and paying seperate delivery charges would cost me a bit too

so thats my rig if anyone wants to make a change up anywhere im open to sugestion up untill the day i finally get it which should be 1 month

edit: one thing i would change is replacing the 2 4gb sticks o ram for 1 8gb so if i choose to later on i can increase the ram without having to replace existing sticks

also will home premium be able to see 8gb of ram as i know certain versions can not

edit also i might spend a bit of the budegt on grammer lessons as i just saw how bad my grammer is also i gotta learn to type

Last edited:

ChileanLlama

I'm happy with the single card. BF3 plays no problem on ultra settings. Crysis 2 pushes it with th DX11 pack. Otherwise I just play SWTOR, Star Trek online and some older games. Its just that maybe in the future some game will come along that will benefit with onother GPU so I'm prepared if needed.

I use my PC to rip and encode my DVD Blu Ray library with some video editing thrown in for good measure, hence the 2600k CPU otherwise I would have stuck with the 2500k. Which really is the dog danglies for the money.

Dave

Going to try BF3 this weekend :) I got a free copy with my motherboard a couple of months ago, but just been waiting for my broadband upgrade. Been too busy trying everything else out :)

I dumped my 580 to my second machine when I went surround, tough decision either to get a 2nd 580 or bite the bullet...bit the bullet in the end partly because it was one of those Direct CUII models that takes up 3 slots, and two of those in my machine wouldn't have left much room for anything else.

chillian that setup you poset id perfect for me and thats what ill be using it has everything i would need including things i hadnt thought about the 1tb secondary drive is something that would be usefull to me and only 99 over budget which is not bad considering the 1tb hdd postage is 14 quid and they will deliver it all at once so im happy with that im a impatient sole and waiting for seperate deliverys and paying seperate delivery charges would cost me a bit too

so thats my rig if anyone wants to make a change up anywhere im open to sugestion up untill the day i finally get it which should be 1 month

edit: one thing i would change is replacing the 2 4gb sticks o ram for 1 8gb so if i choose to later on i can increase the ram without having to replace existing sticks

also will home premium be able to see 8gb of ram as i know certain versions can not

edit also i might spend a bit of the budegt on grammer lessons as i just saw how bad my grammer is also i gotta learn to type

I'd stick with either 2x4GB or 2x8GB to get the benefit of dual channel. With Home Premium you're ok up to 16GB, you need Pro or Ultimate if you ever decide to go for more.

If you want to save a few £ you can reduce the size of the SSD to a 60GB model, maybe go for a lower PSU if you've no immediate plans for Crossfire and you could always go with running Windows 8 Preview, so you wouldn't need to buy a Windows license until the end of the year.

But before buying I would just give others a chance to challenge or make other suggestions - as I've not built that particular system myself. And if you're not going to be buying for a month or so, I'd see how the dust settles on IvyBridge, it might be worthwhile going for the IB 3570K (2500K replacement).

Last edited:

reesk92

Standard Member
ive changed the ssd for a 60 and changed the ram for 2 x 8gb vengence ram and the new price is now 1,014 so ive saved money and doubled ram withoug the os of course

moonbeam120

To be honest its very unlikely you will need more than 8Gb of ram. I would stick to 2 x 4Gb sticks. Make sure you get the low profile ram as the heatsinks on normal vengence sticks can interfer with the CPU cooler.

Dave.

reesk92

Standard Member
ive been wandering the internet getting ideas on how to improve the look o the case and the idea hit me to get a vinyl wrap for the case made with some nice artwork so i decided to send o a email to a local vehicle vinyl wrapping company to see if they could do one or me cant see any technical reason why not there used to wrapping cars o varring shape and this is alot smaller than a car so maybe they will only reason they wont would be cause they dont want to dont do that kind o work but i thnk they might so depending on the cost that may be a thing i have done

also i will try and get some vids of the pc when finihed or at the verry least get you pictures and some benchmarks

and back on topic

as for going for 2x4gb ram i would do that but if it ever came to getting more ram i would eventually have to remove those 2 4gb modules to facilitate more ram so id rathr spend the extra £40 and go for single our double 8's so that way the socket is maxed out and i wouldnt neet to replace any sticks of ram at all to get the maximum amount of ram ill probably never need to upgrade the ram but its nice to know that getting a full 32 will only cost me a £100 to get 2 more 8gb sticks than haing to spend £200 on 4 8gb sticks and having to take out the 2 4gb sticks i know i know i wont ever need to go that high but its nice to know i could

the ssd got lowered to 64gb cause for a os and some sotware i need never use more space big applications can live on the 1tb drive and applications/games that beneit from ssd speed can live on the ssd drive if space ever becomes tight i can always pick up a second 128gb drive for steam games and other pc games or as someone sugested just buy a 10000rpm drive and go that route

apart from the vinyl wrapping the other modifications i have planned are

• individual braiding on the cables
  • some case lighting
  • a lil paintjob on the air grills to make them all green
  • atleast some form of fan controller to keep a eye on temps and set things up niceley
  • and posible some windows tweaks to make the os look the part
cant guarente ill do them straight away as i wanna keep initial costs down but i have a feeling ill have this machine a while as it gets upgraded in future so i can make all theese lil modifications as i go

also does anyone know where i can get some dancing techno laser kittys to go inside the case as that could really look cool i tried the animal shelter but they only have regular non dancing led jazz kittys which if im hoest is apuling how can they expect me to settle for boring led jazz kittys thats like having to settle for a justin bieber cd at the music store

moonbeam120

ive been wandering the internet getting ideas on how to improve the look o the case and the idea hit me to get a vinyl wrap for the case made with some nice artwork so i decided to send o a email to a local vehicle vinyl wrapping company to see if they could do one or me cant see any technical reason why not there used to wrapping cars o varring shape and this is alot smaller than a car so maybe they will only reason they wont would be cause they dont want to dont do that kind o work but i thnk they might so depending on the cost that may be a thing i have done

also i will try and get some vids of the pc when finihed or at the verry least get you pictures and some benchmarks

and back on topic

as for going for 2x4gb ram i would do that but if it ever came to getting more ram i would eventually have to remove those 2 4gb modules to facilitate more ram so id rathr spend the extra £40 and go for single our double 8's so that way the socket is maxed out and i wouldnt neet to replace any sticks of ram at all to get the maximum amount of ram ill probably never need to upgrade the ram but its nice to know that getting a full 32 will only cost me a £100 to get 2 more 8gb sticks than haing to spend £200 on 4 8gb sticks and having to take out the 2 4gb sticks i know i know i wont ever need to go that high but its nice to know i could

the ssd got lowered to 64gb cause for a os and some sotware i need never use more space big applications can live on the 1tb drive and applications/games that beneit from ssd speed can live on the ssd drive if space ever becomes tight i can always pick up a second 128gb drive for steam games and other pc games or as someone sugested just buy a 10000rpm drive and go that route

apart from the vinyl wrapping the other modifications i have planned are

• individual braiding on the cables
  • some case lighting
  • a lil paintjob on the air grills to make them all green
  • atleast some form of fan controller to keep a eye on temps and set things up niceley
  • and posible some windows tweaks to make the os look the part
cant guarente ill do them straight away as i wanna keep initial costs down but i have a feeling ill have this machine a while as it gets upgraded in future so i can make all theese lil modifications as i go

also does anyone know where i can get some dancing techno laser kittys to go inside the case as that could really look cool i tried the animal shelter but they only have regular non dancing led jazz kittys which if im hoest is apuling how can they expect me to settle for boring led jazz kittys thats like having to settle for a justin bieber cd at the music store

What you been smoking @reesk92 :rotfl:

reesk92

Standard Member
nothing i jut been licking arctic silver and pennys thats all i saw a cideo that said if you combine the 2 it makes lsd

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom