Looking for input and advice on a sub £1000 gaming rig

reesk92

Standard Member
greetings all i hope you are having a great evening

ive recently gotten the funds to be able to afford to build my self a real gaming machine to retire my laptop from gaming dutys and decided i would have more pleasure building it myself even though it may be at the expense of costing more than one out of the store

after a little shopping on overclockers.co.uk i have come up with a build that i am fairly happy with as a starting point and would like your input on how i can take it further and reduce its price tag if possible without scrimping on performance

the budget for this rig is £1000 i can go a little over but that but id prefer to cap it at £1000

some of the core features im lookign for in this rig are as follows

a nice fast machine that has a reasonable lifespan something around say 2-5 years being able to play the lastest games with ease and if need be only costing a little to bring it back up in line with upgrades every year or 2

the ability to overclock the machine

ive alway wanted water cooling so maybe advice on a full water cooling setup that can be expanded to cover chipset ram cpu and gpu cooling
id be willing to drop this as a specification if favour of saving money as i have seen some nice looking fan controllers that would look perfect in this pc

have all of the features in todays latest pcs so usb 3.0 the latest sata w/e that may be gigabit networking raid would be nice but its not crucial

to have a ssd drive that at minimum could fit the os a bonus if i can get one big enough for a couple steam games

and future capability to be compatible with future cpus and motherboards

my current parts list is as follows please excuse the links its just easier to show you the product page than it is to type out everything and embed images

the case
Aerocool X-Predator Ultimate Gaming Case - Black/Green [EN58124 ]

the motherboard
Asus Sabertooth 990FX AMD 990FX (Socket AM3+) DDR3 Motherboard [90-MIBFN0-G0EAY00Z]

the cpu
AMD Bulldozer FX-8 Eight Core [email protected] Black Edition 3.60Ghz (Socket AM3+) Processor - Retail with FREE Deus Ex PC Game [OcUK_Special]

the gpu
Sapphire HD 7750 Ultimate 1024MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card [11202-03-40G]

the os drive
Corsair Force GT 60GB 2.5" SATA 6Gb/s Solid State Hard Drive (CSSD-F60GBGT-BK) [CSSD-F60GBGT-BK]

the powersupply
Akasa Venom 750w Modular '80 Plus' Power Supply [AK-PA075AM01]
(note: i have a feeling i may need a more powerfull powersuply than this)

the cpu cooler
Antec Kúhler H2O 620 CPU Watercooler (Socket Intel LGA 775 / 1155 / 1156 / 1366 / AMD AM2 / AM3 / AM2+ / AM3+) [0-761345-77085-9]this would be the cooler i would use if i chose to to air cooled in my pc so i can still retain water cooling on the cpu for overclocking

the ram
Corsair Vengeance 8GB (1x8GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C10 1600MHz Single Channel Module (CMZ8GX3M1A1600C10) [CMZ8GX3M1A1600C10]
2x8gb to give me 16gb total

sexy fan controller
AeroCool V12XT 4-Channel LCD Touch Panel Fan Controller [EN55369]

piece of crap dvd drive
Asus 24x DVD±RW DRW-24B3ST SATA ReWriter - Black (Retail) [90-D40FJB-UAN10]
i have no desire for anything better than this as i dont wath blu ray and if i did i have a ps3 although lightscribe may be nice but i can sort that out

pretty fans
Akasa AK-274CG-4GNS 120mm Green LED Fan [AK-274CG-4GNS]
ive priced up for 5 but i may need more

and a tube of thermal spunk
Akasa AK-455 Thermal Compound [AK-455]
i might splurge for some arctic silver

total cost
£918.78

now my questions to you are

will this all meet the criteria
will this even be compatible with each other
can i get it cheaper
can i make it better
if so can i do so without blowing the budget

if you could give me your advice on this it would be greatly apreciated as im sure you all know of better components than what i have picked i dont want to loose performance only gain it based on what ive chosen

many thanks

moonbeam120

Is there any particular reason you are going AMD? For the same money you could get a far superior Intel z68 mobo and i5 2500k CPU combination.

The GPU isn't that great either I'd up the budget for that to about £150.

Also a Quality PSU is essential I'm not familiar with that manufacturer so I don't know if its any good. I'm sure others will comment.

Regards,

Dave.

reesk92

Standard Member
no real reason more the fact that side by side i found amd to be cheaper and also i have used amd before on previous rigs and loved the speed of it so its mostly sentimental attatchment could you link me to a cpu and mobo that would be intel compatible also you mentioned i5 what is the performance difference between i5 and i7

moonbeam120

The AMD Bulldozer CPU has been slated by the press and doesn't come close to the performance of a sandybridge i5. Google some reviews and you will see what I mean.

I use this mobo Asus P8Z68-V PRO Intel Z68 S1155 Motherboard - Scan.co.uk but other manufactures make good boards. Gigabyte seems to be popular and good value for money.

The difference between an i5 2500k and an i7 2600k is Hyperthreading the 2600k has 2 threads per core and is able to process 2 sets of instructions at the same time. both CPUs have 4 cores, so in effect the the i7 acts as if it has 8 cores, although there is a limited amount of software that takes full advantage of this feature. Both chips are known for they superb overclocking cababilities. An aftermarket cooler would be required to do this effectively.

Hope this helps,

Dave.

reesk92

Standard Member
you mentioned that the sandybridge cpus only have 4 cores but the bulldozer has 8 would i loose any performance becaue of this or would it be the same because the bulldozer is 8 single threads where as sandy bridge is 4 dual cores also would the water block i speced be adequate for overclocking this

also it may be helpfull if i list what games i will be playing on this rig

currently i am playing
minecraft
garrys mod
counterstrike
and secondlife

and infuture i plan to be playing
all the valve games portals and halflifes
call of duty
and alot of the new games that come out

reesk92

Standard Member
i just took a look at the intel 15 sandy bridge and it costs more than the amd equiv would this provide any real performance boost or is it all just smoke and mirrors cause a 3.3ghz i5 is £178 compared to the amd bulldozer which is £149

granted i could overclock the i5 but in theory would i be able to overclock further with a cpu that already has a high clock speed

LJx

when it comes to gaming that 8 core AMD CPU gets out performed by a £40 intel pentium CPU

ChileanLlama

Bulldozer is not a good choice for gaming. For what you want you're probably best off with an i5 2500K based machine.

For your budget, you're spending a lot on "fluff", extra fans, fan controllers that probably aren't needed. A decent 750w PSU is more than enough for that system.

How about this as a base system, add in an SSD, double the RAM and a decent graphics card (ask them about a 7850 - not listed in the options) and you should still have change out of your budget :)

"Titan 8100i Triceratop" Intel 4.40GHz Quad Core System []

reesk92

Standard Member
ive already got a 60gb ssd on the system when you say double ram double it to what theres 16gb already should i max out to the full 32 gb

ChileanLlama

No, on the system I've listed and in the SSD as an option, then give them a buzz about making it 8GB RAM and adding in a 7850 card, unless you can stretch to a AMD7970 or GTX680 :) It also includes Windows 7, which I didn't see on your list.

You don't need 32GB, 8GB is plenty, 16GB if you're feeling extravagant :)

If you still want to build your own, I'd go for a similar spec to that one anyway.

reesk92

Standard Member
i would prefer to build my own because i can have more controll on whats inside and i can enjoy building it

also i dont like the case options they have and id need to tear the system down to get it setup how i like it like i want to install individualy braided psu cables which i enjoy the look of also that system seems to cost more for the upgrades what ill do is ill make a post on this thread starting out with a case and cpu and ill add to it from there with you help on parts and hopefully we can get a nice system going

also will a 1k budget cover this or shoudl i increase the budget

ChileanLlama

1k is fine for the budget.

Case -
PSU -
CPU - i5 2500K
Motherboard - Z77 (or z68)
RAM - 8GB DDR3
SSD - 128GB SSD (or 60GB if budget tight)
HDD -
ODD -
Graphics Card -
Sound Card (optional) -
CPU Cooler -
OS -

Fill in the blanks :) But for gaming, try and put a good chunk of your budget towards a decent GPU, perhaps at the expense of other aspects such as additional fans, or 16GB of RAM (which you can always upgrade to later).

reesk92

Standard Member
ok ill keep updating on your baseline as i go through so curently we have

Case - aerocool x predator link

PSU -

CPU - i5 2500k 3.4ghz link updated to be retail version and the 2500k

Motherboard - Z77 (or z68) actual board yet to be confirmed

RAM - 8GB DDR3 actual ram dependant on mother board capabilities

SSD - 128GB SSD link

HDD -

ODD -cheap and chearfull asus link

Graphics Card -

Sound Card (optional) -

CPU Cooler - antec kuhler h20 link

OS - win 7 home premium link

current spend is £513

ok first questions of round 2

1. what cooling should i go for a air cooled system a dedicated ater cool setup or a dedicated cpu water cooler and air cool everywhere else

2. what recomendadions do you have on a motherboards something nice looking would be a + in my book as my last rig hag a hideous purple motherboard and didnt look all too nice but ill sacrifice looks for features

Last edited:

ChileanLlama

The CPU you've chosen is the i5 2500 - you want the "K" version for overclocking, also the retail version will come with an Intel cooler and carry a longer warranty.

Consider the Crucial M4 for an SSD, a bit more expensive, but proven SSDs for performance.

You'll need to set aside another £200-500 for a full water cooled system, so it's probably not an option for you with the initial build. A good air cooler can actually cool your CPU better than most CPU water coolers, cheaper and believe it or not quieter. E.g. Noctua NHD14 v Corsair Hydro 100.

For a motherboard, do you need anything more than Asus P8Z77-V LX Intel Z77? I'd check opinions as I'm on x79 so not up to speed on the various motherboards for socket 1155.

moonbeam120

Agree with ChileanLlama water cooling on your budget is going to be tough.

Also make sure the mobo you pick is capable of running mulit GPUs in SLI or Crossfire incase you want to add a second card later.

Dave.

reesk92

Standard Member
well getting a stock intell gpu is not a problem as ill be planning to use a dierent one most likeley a h60 or some other cpu warer cooler not a full systel just a sinle rad and cpu block type that come pre built also ye sli is one o the things i have planned

i will update the list thoughbto relec the k and posibl the retail too the warenty may come in usefull i something goe wrong

Last edited:

reesk92

Standard Member
ok ive added a a updated cpu and a cpu cooler to the list and this is the mobo im planning to use link i the extra money or deluxe worth it or should i go for one of there lesser models in the same version like theese here link

ChileanLlama

well getting a stock intell gpu is not a problem as ill be planning to use a dierent one most likeley a h60 or some other cpu warer cooler not a full systel just a sinle rad and cpu block type that come pre built also ye sli is one o the things i have planned

i will update the list thoughbto relec the k and posibl the retail too the warenty may come in usefull i something goe wrong

Don't want to seem critical, but you probably need to take a bit more time in your posts - it's very hard to understand.

I've already said to think about an air cooler, they can often be cheaper and just as effective as a hydro cpu cooler.

In hindsight, maybe you need to think about doing this in stages, get the basics of your PC up and running, then adding the fancy fans, braiding at your leisure but later on. Doing the customisation can be quite expensive and detract from making your base system as good as it could be.

ChileanLlama

ok ive added a a updated cpu and a cpu cooler to the list and this is the mobo im planning to use link i the extra money or deluxe worth it or should i go for one of there lesser models in the same version like theese here link

A lot of people go with Corsair H100 and replace the fans, similarly reading the comments a lot of people are either adding or replacing the fans on the one you've chosen.

What features do you want on your motherboard? The one I mentioned was £90 and the one you've chosen £195... are the extra features worth the extra to you?

reesk92

Standard Member
A lot of people go with Corsair H100 and replace the fans, similarly reading the comments a lot of people are either adding or replacing the fans on the one you've chosen.

What features do you want on your motherboard? The one I mentioned was £90 and the one you've chosen £195... are the extra features worth the extra to you?

one main reason is this board suports ivy bridge so later down the line i can upgrade the cpu to a ivy if i choose to also it has alot of features to it that i may not use at this time but are there when i need them main things ill use now are

the inbuilt wii whilst i sort out getting gigabit ethernet into my room
the gigabit onboard nic when i finnaly get it in
uefi bios for ease of overclocking

Last edited:

ChileanLlama

All z77's support Ivy Bridge. What are the other features?

If you're interested in Ivy Bridge you should wait a few weeks as it's launched at the end of the month, though I'm not expecting it to be significantly different to Sandybridge for what you need.

I think all the Asus boards now have UEFI, and to be honest they don't make it that much easier to OC ;) Practically all will have Gigabit NIC's, and WiFi shouldn't cost more than about £10-20 on the price of a motherboard.

Last edited:

reesk92

Standard Member
i just took a look at the £80 p8z77 and its still a decent motherboard with most the same features as the deluxe so ill let the price decide on what goes inside so either way its gonna be a p8z77 but price will dictate the model o that i go for

ChileanLlama

You should also probably look at Gigabyte and ASRock boards too. Early days for z77, but see if you can find which ones are good for overclocking with from enthusiast sites.

moonbeam120

Remember Ivybridge and Z77 chip sets are new and you will almost certainly pay a premium for new kit. Most higher end z68 mobos will support Ivybridge with a BIOS update - mine does.

Dave.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Magico announces Titan 15 subwoofer
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Ajax Systems adds UK Socket to expand smart home options
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Best TVs of 2021 - Editor's Choice Awards