1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking for info on Monitor Audio Silvers

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Sounds Simple, Jul 9, 2004.

1. Sounds Simple

Sounds Simple

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I thought I was all settled on a Paradigm setup with Studio 20s for mains. Then I listened to the MA Silver 2s. Even in a showroom with much less than optimal placement, these things just sang and sang. No matter the type of music, they sounded good and always engaged me. I repeatedly heard things that had, at best, only been insinuated by other speakers.

My one concern is that in a very brief listen of 5.1 for movies, the Silver Center LCR did not seem to keep up with the mains. The salesman said he normally recommends the Gold Center even with Silver fronts and rears. Any thoughts or suggestions.

I plan to spend some more time listening to both the MAs and the Paradigm in both stereo and HT mode as well as multichannel music. Any input on experience with these speakers is appreciated but in particular the MA Silver Center LCR.

Bob

2. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Get the best center you can afford (if it matches tonally). Thus you should listen to the Silver and Gold center in comparision and base your decision on that.

3. Falp

Falp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    What electronics are you using or planning to use?

4. Sounds Simple

Sounds Simple

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Most likely a Denon 3805 or the Pioneer TXi (when it is released). I also listened to an Arcam receiver today which is a possibility.

Bob

5. Falp

Falp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Japanese most musical electronics (Marantz and Denon) or Arcam, Rotel, Nad may be the best match...

Pioneer I guess can be a little bright for the MAs... more HC oriented maybe...

Is the 3805 worth it over the 2805?

6. Sounds Simple

Sounds Simple

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The primary reasons for the 3805 preference are the extra power (I want to run a second zone off the rear channels using 4 ohm speakers) and the DenonLink connection. I've auditioned the MA S2s with the 3805 and, briefly, with the Pioneer 55TXi; the Pionner sound was perhaps a tad brighter but, more notably, was more forward in the midrange (perhaps because of the brightness).

Since doing these auditions, I have also listened to the MA S6s. I am doing a comparo between the S2s and S6s on Tuesday with the speakers set up properly on stands and out of the demo room where there are probably 15 pairs of speakers.

I have heard an Arcam (not sure which model) driving a 7.1 setup. The speakers I listened to were bigger versions of the ones I am considering for the second zone and the combination sounded great. Both the detail and the dynamics watching Master & Commander were impressive.

Bob

7. Falp

Falp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I'm considering a pair of S2 fronts with Marantz / Denon, so keep in touch :thumbsup:

8. Falp

Falp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Sounds Simple

Just reading you topi at audioholics:

What do you think of the S2 and S5?

9. Sounds Simple

Sounds Simple

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The S5s are not available here in the US but I am not really a proponent of making a bookshelf into a floorstander (the S5 is basically an S1 in a tower). The increased baffle area might affect imaging while you are giving up bss extension compared to the S2.

I think that the S6 is the sweet spot in the Silver lineup unless you have a very large room. There seems to be better clarity through the midrange and the cost of the S6s is probably less than what I would pay for S2s with any of the stands I like.

Bob

10. Falp

Falp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    :confused:

:confused: Should't be otherwise?

Can you explain?

That's why I was thinking on the S5s... :)

11. Sounds Simple

Sounds Simple

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The S2s are rated to 40Hz while the S5s are rated to 45Hz; this is most likely the result of using a 7" woofer in the S2 compared to the six incer in the S5.

As I said, I think that the S6 has better clarity through the midrange. The problem, IMO, with designs like the S5 is that you increase both baffle area and possibly cabinet resonance without the benefit of any sonic improvement that an addional driver might provide - better bass extension, improved clarity and detail or just the ability to play louder. The S5s save you the cost of stands but most likely don't offer the sonic benefits of the S6s.

As I said, I've never heard the S5s but I doubt that I'd find their performance superior to either the S2s or S6s.

Bob

12. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    I owned the MA Silver Range that is the S6,SLCR & SFX Rear's and they really are quite superb sounding speakers if you want a good balance between home cinema & music. there is a good balance between the package and the sound intergrates well from the front's to the rear's.
    I had them running off a Pioneer vsx ax5i and the sound was very smooth,as i previously had the B&W 600 S3 package and the sound was quite bright the MA tamed that brightness.

John

13. Sounds Simple

Sounds Simple

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply John.

I am really quite taken by the versatility these speakers displayed no matter what material I threw at them. Sure, I've heard better but not at this price or to my taste. The MAs seem to back off in the highs just as some speakers start to get edgy.

I have not heard the SFXs but have heard the GRFX. These are interesting speakers in their ability to provide rear-channelambience in movies but having enough of an "anchor" to prevent multi-channelmusic performance from drifting about too much.

I believe that the vsx as5i is the equivalent of the 55txi here in the US. I was unable to demo the Silvers with this unit but used some MA GR10s to compare a 55txi and the Denon 4802R (since they had no 3805 in the room). I was expecting the Denon to outperform the Pioneer but, to my ear, it was often a draw or the Pioneer delivered a more open and immediate midrange making vocals much easier to hear.

Have you had any experience with the Arcam AVR-300? I heard it briefly in an HT setup and it sounded pretty good - plenty of power in loud scenes with all channels playing. Since I didn't hear it playing music and the speakers it was driving were much warmer than the MAs, I'm wondering how it might mate to the Silvers.

Bob