Looking for help regarding New/Sealed old DVDs

domhnallaich

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

Wondering if someone can assist here. I am going through a bit of a thing where I am trying to procure collectors editions of old LOTR DVDs as I could not afford them at the time. The thing I am concerned about is fakes. I am seeing a lot of "new and sealed" DVDs on eBay UK but the wrapping is pretty loose at the corners and ends, and I don't recall DVDs being this way back when.

Here is an example

Some are worse than others but most are this way. Is it age thing maybe? Any advice is much appreciated.

Attachments

• ttt.jpg
    ttt.jpg
    175.2 KB · Views: 59
That image, to me, suggests a badly re-wrapped item. Could be a fake, could be second hand, but it doesn’t look kosher to me.

I recently bought Bohemian Rhapsody in 4K and the packaging was exactly as you described, I’m pretty certain it’s used and re wrapped. That was from an eBay shop with very very high feedback too.

That image, to me, suggests a badly re-wrapped item. Could be a fake, could be second hand, but it doesn’t look kosher to me.
Aye I feel the same - most are this way so I don't think fake but I definitely feel its not new.

I recently bought Bohemian Rhapsody in 4K and the packaging was exactly as you described, I’m pretty certain it’s used and re wrapped. That was from an eBay shop with very very high feedback too.
I also noticed a lot of the eBay sellers had very high feedback. Given how old these things are, maybe the sellers purchased it this way but even the ones that look good, may have been re-wrapped.

I wish I bought these things at the time. The thing that gets me though is the consistency across the range of sellers - the same stickets in the same places, same sort of loose wrapping etc so its made me think some of them are just affected by age.

Hi All,

Wondering if someone can assist here. I am going through a bit of a thing where I am trying to procure collectors editions of old LOTR DVDs as I could not afford them at the time. The thing I am concerned about is fakes. I am seeing a lot of "new and sealed" DVDs on eBay UK but the wrapping is pretty loose at the corners and ends, and I don't recall DVDs being this way back when.

Here is an example

Some are worse than others but most are this way. Is it age thing maybe? Any advice is much appreciated.
The one you posted seems to be the ‘worst’ looking one on eBay. The others don’t look anywhere near as ‘bad’ as the one you posted.

Eg this one looks very similar to the one Stuart posted

I highly doubt any of these are fake. They’re not really that collectible & commanding high prices to go to the trouble of producing fakes. There are more collectible (& more profitable) things to make fakes of than these.

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom