Looking for help on subwoofer and speaker placement

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by UR2SLO, Dec 6, 2017.

1. UR2SLO

UR2SLO
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello Folks,

I currently have room with an existing 5.1 setup and now upgrading to a new 9.2 setup. I have attached a few pictures of the room itself and a general drawing of the room. The speakers on the floor will basically stay the same, but do not know the ideal location for 2 subwoofers and the additional 4 ceiling speakers. The drawing shows 3 different subwoofer locations A1/A2, B1/B2, and C1,C2. The green circles are symbols for the ceiling speakers, however I do not know which configuration is correct such as A1, A2, B1, B2, C1, C2, D1, and D2. I've seen people place 2 pairs of speakers perpendicular to each other and some offset who them. For example, one pair can be 3 feet apart and the other pair is 6 feet apart instead of having both pairs be 6 feet apart. Would appreciate anyones thoughts/recommendations on this matter.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,440
    I assume you mean you are going for a 5.1.4 Atmos system? If so then the plan you have looks like the speakers are all too close together and given your sofa is right against the rear wall a 5.1.2 system may be a better option.
    Not looked massively into Atmos but my understanding is you would have a pair of speakers in front of the listening position by a metre or so and one pair behind the listening position by a similar amount (which you will not be able to do).
    With the subs, do you have uneven bass or bass issues in the room currently? What are you trying to achieve with adding another sub? Subs can be fussy with positioning especially when you add additional ones in. So if you are limited where you can put them you may be better with one better sub than 2.
    Some of your other speakers seem very close to corners/walls. Do they sound OK in those positions since there could be issues with boundary reinforcement causing boomy bass and a muddy sound.

3. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,558
  4. UR2SLO

UR2SLO
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Technically it would be 5.2.4 with dual subwoofers and 4 ceiling speakers. The maximum distance I could put 2 pairs of ceiling speakers apart from each other is around 32 inches (2 16" floor joist spacings), which is basically one pair right above the rear of the seat above a person's head and the other pair right in front of the seat.

The local shops I've been two and various threads I've read on forum recommended two subwoofers. I am not really limited to where I can put the subs, but there is just three locations where I can put them and do not really know which is the ideal location of the three locations.

Yes I did notice that now looking back on the old pictures of the rooms that the speakers were placed very close to corners/walls. The speakers were always positioned there so automatically I never noticed any issues and thought they sounded fine (never played around with moving speaker positions). Should they be placed relatively close to the corner of the projector screen?

5. UR2SLO

UR2SLO
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That is a small clock sitting on top of the centre channel.

6. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,558
    'Should they be placed relatively close to the corner of the projector screen?' - use your seating as the reference and arrange the speakers around the MLP (Main Listening Position), ideally your five floor mounted speakers would be equidistant (in a circle) but that is rarely an option.

'That is a small clock sitting on top of the centre channel' - looked like a metronome. Would have been great to have a fifth floor stand speaker!

'I am not really limited to where I can put the subs, but there is just three locations where I can put them and do not really know which is the ideal location of the three locations' - a couple of long RCA to RCA cables and a bit of time experimenting would be good. A visit to the Sub forum will open up the black art which is blending your Sub(s) with your room, main speakers and second Sub.

Joe