Looking for help on buying a 40-42 inch LED TV for gaming, current choices inside.

Discussion in 'What Is The Best TV For You?' started by F1D, Aug 10, 2013.

1. F1D

F1D
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi. I'm new here so first of all hello to you all! I'm currently looking for a new TV which will be used exclusively for gaming. My budget is around £500 and ideally wants to have a 42 inch screen. I also want to ensure there will be minimal input lag and no motion blur which I cannot stand. I currently have a 5-6 year old samsung 37 inch TV and that has been great but it's time I upgraded ready for PS4 and Xbox One. I've been looking at the following so far (I'm only looking for LED TV's btw):

Sony KDL42W653 £550

Samsung 42F5000 £430

LG 42LN540V £400

So far I've been swayed toward the Sony as its a 200hz TV which should make it good for gaming but I know there's always a bit of confusion as to what is 'true' 100hz, 200hz etc. Thanks in advance for any help and I hope you can point me in the right direction. Cheers.

2. Vril

Vril

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Sony KDL-42W653A seems to be your best option

3. F1D

F1D
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Looks that way. Anyone else got an opinion on the best TV out of my 3 choices or in my price range?

4. Scooby2000

Scooby2000
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,469
  5. VEGACORTEZ

VEGACORTEZ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +212
    Hi,
    Be aware that the sony will blur games like every other lcd tv, the hz ratings are marketing ploys. They only lack blur when you engage any motion settings but usually these are blacked out in the game picture presets on any lcd tv.
    The Sony W6 has one motion option while in games mode but it dims the image and some people may notice a slight flicker. I personally really like this motion option as i play in a dimly lit room, don't notice any flicker and play PC games which run at 60fps so the motion option is ideal for me giving the benefits plasma usually has for motion plus no issues with screen retention. If you are playing console games at 30fps i find that having lcd motion blur hides the awful looking motion anyway. Even a plasma can't make a 30fps game look good, it may be blur free but it is a double imaged, sick inducing mess which fortunately lcd blur hides. All in all the sony w6 is a good bet but perhaps if you get it from someone with a returns policy like amazon then if the motion is not to your liking you can get a refund.

Regarding the input lag on the sony it is 7ms which the best input lag seen since the early days of lcd tvs.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2013