Looking for headphones that do 5.1 audio (film watching)

Smallclone

Hi. Looking for a good set of headphones for about £150. For watching films.

I currently have a pair of Sennheisers that are good quality. But they don't do 5.1 audio or DTS etc so if I'm watching a film on anything other than 1.0 or 2.0 audio and switch to headphones, I then have to go into the settings of my device and find the option that outputs 2.1 audio. This might be a minor thing to some people but to me it's a ballache.

So any recommends ?

Thanks

mike7

Distinguished Member
So how do you imagine a pair of what are basically stereo phones can substitute for five directional speakers? It's a bit of a con market and it is largely dependent on the amplifier electronics rather than any magic ingredients in the phones. Marketing is a powerful tool!

Upvote 0

Smallclone

So how do you imagine a pair of what are basically stereo phones can substitute for five directional speakers? It's a bit of a con market and it is largely dependent on the amplifier electronics rather than any magic ingredients in the phones. Marketing is a powerful tool!

I think perhaps you misunderstand. I don't need 7.1 audio blaring into my ears from all different angles....I am happy to have stereo audio. It's just that my Sennheisers can't convert many 5.1 and 7.1 signals into 2.0. They just don't work, so I have to switch the signal on all my devices to output stereo instead of surround first.

So I'm basically looking for a pair of headphones that converts any signal to stereo.

Upvote 0

mike7

Distinguished Member
Reducing the mix of the various channels is going to be in the electronics, not in the headphones themselves which are just 'stereo' anyway. The mix of the additional channels is dealt with by subtle changes in phase and incorporating small delays to simulate a surround effect to a standard stereo analogue audio connection. I agree with you that it does in some sense 'muddy' the sound in some instances. If you've got an AV amp then set the output to 'stereo'. The mix may not be ideal, but is what we are stuck with. I have some sympathies with what you are seeking.

Last edited:
Upvote 1

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: The Best TVs of 2021, plus our favourite & memorable reviews of the year
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom