Looking for HDR capable TV with wide viewing angles.

RealityDysfunction

Established Member
Reaction score
As per title. Are there any TVs that combine decent HDR performance with wide viewing angles (almost 45 degrees). I'm thinking ideally in the 49 to 55 inch size and a price less than £800 (don't mind waiting to Black Friday for prices to come down.
Options as I see it:
OLED - would be ideal, but too expensive.
VA screens - not wide enough viewing angles.
VA screens + wide angle filter - again, all seem to be fairly expensive.
IPS screens - viewing angles OK, but most seem to have mediocre HDR performance?

Am I missing any obvious candidates? Refurbs the best option?

Any and all suggestions welcome. Thanks in advance.

I would personally save a bit more and get a oled. Around black Friday im sure there will be something about £1000

Increased budget would need wife approval, not sure how likely that is!
Philips OLED 754 already below £1000, but I'm wary of the Saphi OS and, as I said, I'd really like to keep it below £800 if possible.

The problem you'll find is without going OLED there aren't any good options.

This is because the LCD panel technology that gives wider viewing angles to LCD TVs either costs a lot more, or in the case of cheaper TVs, cannot display HDR well.

So really your options to have good viewing angles are:

1. Go for an OLED, spend more money. If you buy at a better time of year than now you can get one sub 1k just as the Philips OLED754 is now. - For example, no doubt the BX will drop to that mark in its shelf life.
2. Go for an LCD TV that uses a VA type panel, but has a wide viewing angle filter. These are the more premium models from Samsung or Sony. With Sony the XH9505, Samsung the Q85T or higher.
3. Sacrifice HDR and get a TV that uses an IPS type panel, this will be cheaper, but won't display HDR properly.

With an £800 budget you may be able to get option 2, but you'd need to buy TVs in clearance pricing in spring, or consider a refurb around a similar time. If you have a work discount scheme with either Samsung or LG you may be able to get additional discount. Student discount also works. The downside of buying direct from Samsung though is only a single year warranty.

Otherwise HDR is a no go, but option 3 will still give you a TV fine for SDR, especially if you mainly view during the day or with the lights on.

Increased budget would need wife approval, not sure how likely that is!
Philips OLED 754 already below £1000, but I'm wary of the Saphi OS and, as I said, I'd really like to keep it below £800 if possible.

Buy the new Chromecast with Google TV. For £60 you'll have an accomplished smart TV with all the catch up services and a clean user interface. The Philips OS matters less in this case.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom