Looking for HDD to DVD recording feature

T3C

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Just looking for some friendly advice please.

I have a pretty old Sony HDX-870 that has served my well and has a great function for me to be able to copy/clone stuff from the HDD to a blank DVD for playback onto any other DVD player.

Is there any current machine on the market that still has that feature/function? I like the look of either the Panny DMR-PWT530EB or the Sammy BD-H8500 but can't really confirm if either of these will do the same as my old Sony.

Can anybody please confirm that these new machines can?

Last edited:
Why not just use a PC/Laptop ?

A single box solution as I had before would be perfect tbh. Press and play/record with no other distractions.

Just looking for some friendly advice please.

I have a pretty old Sony HDX-870 that has served my well and has a great function for me to be able to copy/clone stuff from the HDD to a blank DVD for playback onto any other DVD player.

Is there any current machine on the market that still has that feature/function? I like the look of either the Panny DMR-PWT530EB or the Sammy BD-H8500 but can't really confirm if either of these will do the same as my old Sony.

Can anybody please confirm that these new machines can?
Neither of the machines you mention are any good for the function you want as neither of the disc decks have recording ability. They are playback only.

Have a look at the DMR-BWT740. Details here.

Thanks for that but it's a little on the pricey side.

I've found this though Samsung BD-H8900. Does this have the feature set I'm looking for?

No unfortunately. I don't think Samsung do any decks now which have recording removable disc facilities.

The features that makes the '740 expensive are the fact that they uniquely record onto Bluray dics (and can also record onto DVD) plus they have twin HD tuner and can archive HD material, plus a number of networking features.

I believe it is still possible to find a single SD tuner type machine that would record onto DVD.
Seek out the DMR-EX86. Details here.

Thanks to @Gavtech

I do like the look of the DMR-EX86 but I can't seem to confirm the hdd to dvd clone/copy function. Can you please let me know if it does do this specific requirement?

Thanks to @Gavtech

I do like the look of the DMR-EX86 but I can't seem to confirm the hdd to dvd clone/copy function. Can you please let me know if it does do this specific requirement?

Yes - I can confirm this function. It is the prime function of this class of machine.

You can get the manual from here, which should tell you everything you need to know.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom