Question Looking for HDBaseT with bi-IR, ARC, USB, PoE/PoC and Wall plate Transmitter

DeHaynes

Novice Member
Currently I have my frontroom with a stack of equipment in the corner. I want to move this to my basement. The equipment is the Cable Box, An HTPC and a Denon AVR-X2300W Receiver. I already have a network running in my house, so the natural solution is to use HDBaseT. I am looking for an HDBaseT solution that has 18 Gbps, bi-directional IR, ARC, PoC/PoE and USB. I would love if the transmitter side was on a wall plate so I could mount it behind the TV on the wall. Does anyone know of anything that meets all of these? So far this is the closest I have found.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
It would be the HDBT RX (Reciver) which would sit behind the TV - the TX (Transmitter) would live with the Source and AVR in the basement.

ARC will ’break out’ of the TX as an Optical digital audio signal and ensure the device supports 5.1 if you require that from the TV.

Going with a ‘wall plate’ design greatly reduces your options - HDBT can run hot so requires decent ventilation.

HDBT will not run over a cable which is also carrying your network - though ‘5-Play’ HDBT devices will carry a 10/100 signal in addition to HDMI and Control.

Joe

Note the unit you link to is not ARC enabled.

Last edited:

DeHaynes

Novice Member
Thanks for the response.

In my research since posting, I found this cable.

This would cover the distance from the basement to frontroom. It would still leave me with the need for IR and USB with PoE/PoC. Do you know of any HDBaseT that could do this? I was thinking I could find one cheap that was meant for some lower resolution but I haven't been able to find any because everyone wants to advertise the 4k. On Amazon I found some but I cannot tell if I could run the extenders without actually using the video part. Does that make sense?

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
HDMI over Fibre - our preferred solution are the RuiPro4K Hybrid Fibre cables, we have a couple of thousand of those installed with customers.

ARC - once you go past 20m with Fibre or Hybrid Fibre I find ARC support to be very system dependent so if that is a big 'must have' you will have to ensure you fully test any cable in your system before you install the cable.

USB - are you trying to connect USB devices over the CAT connection?

RS2432 - is that for system control?

PoC - pretty much all HDBT solutions have PoC to enable you to only power the TX.

HDFury Maestro - is one of the best HDBT solutions where you have complex requirements, HDFury Maestro - The Media Factory

(US link - 4K Maestro 18Gbps TX/RX | HDFury.com | Connect and Fix everything in HDMI)

Joe

DeHaynes

Novice Member
ARC is not a requirement. I would prefer it. The only scenario I use it now, is when I am streaming to the applications in the smart TV, which I is not the case 99% of the time because I have an HTPC.

USB is because I have a keyboard I use. It is the Logitech K830 Living-Keyboard. It has keyboard and mouse on one device and it is backlit for when the room is dark. It uses RF to communicate with a small USB dongle. I looked for technology that can extend RF, like IR extenders do but could not find anything. I would be open to other solutions for controlling the HTPC remotely but this is a requirement because my wife likes to sit in the front-room and work remotely.

RS232 - I don't really have a need for this.

Speakers - I have 5.1 surround in my front-room. The speakers are JBL SC300.7 system. It was originally 7.1 but my front-room is an open concept and doesn't support the idea of side speakers, so I have had 5.1 for a long time now. The woofer is active. The impedance is 8 ohms. I have resigned myself to having to pull speaker wire from the basement. My research says that 14 gauge wire should be sufficient for the distance. I have ordered 100 ft of 14 gauge wire for testing. If you know of another technology OR you know a good source for the wire (I hate paying top price), please let me know.

Lastly, I want to say thank you for helping me with this. Nobody I know has knowledge in this area and it is really nice to bounce ideas off someone who has experience.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
ARC - that simplifies things a fair bit.

HDBT 5-Play - some of the 'Pro' units aimed at the Conference Room and Education market support 'KVM' (Keyboard/Video/Mouse) features.

UHD over LAN - more options for units which support KVM and whilst they employ compression which is less 'light' than HDBT that may be a good option to consider.

Octava Inc. - happy to put you in touch with the team in Atlanta who have HDBT, UHD over LAN and Fibre options you could consider.

JBL - not as well known as a 'Residential' option over here in the UK, we recently completed a JBL Synthesis system! They sound great :)

Joe