• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

looking for hd/dvd recorder that does DIVX

dadopson

Standard Member
I have been looking for a dvd recorder with at least a 250 Gb HD, it must also have HDMI output, RGB input (for Sky), -R/RW, +R/RW, RAM, twin freeview tuners and the crunch it must be able to play DIVX files. I like the look of the new Pioneer machine but for some reason it does not play back DIVX files. Can anyone suggest a suitable machine?

Oh, and I forgot to mention it must be region free or multiregion, as I understand that some of the machines are very difficult or impossible to make region free.

D

dancohen

Were you looking at the Pioneer (as you say) or the Panasonic?

The new Pioneer (540HX) has 160 Gb drive and does not do HDMI (Panasonic has same size drive and does do HDMI).

But it does do DivX. I believe the manual says DivX from CD, but people have found they can get it from DVD as well (though maybe not all flavours)>

dadopson

Standard Member
I definitely need DIVX playback. But after I posted I noticed another post about some new players from Pioneer that are due later on in the year. You mention the 540HX as new, how long has this machine been out? Especially as they have 3 new machines due out that all have digital tuners, HDMI and DIVX. I am quite happy to wait for their release, even if it is towards the end of the year (Pioneer do not say when they will be released).
The main problem with the DIVX playback is their was a recent review of a machine in Home Cinema Choice that stated the Panasonic DMR-EX85 has DIVX playback where it is sold in other teratories, but not in the UK!
The manufacturers seem to add features for a UK release, but remove others (i.e. DIVX).
I have tried looking on places like pricerunner to do machine comparisons, but not all the manufacturers tell the truth about what features their machines posess.

I have just spoken to a chap at MultizoneAV and he says that the 545 and 645 models are due in about a month to 45 days.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom