Question Looking for good 4K IPS TV

Discussion in 'What Is The Best TV For You?' started by fenbops, Jul 19, 2018.

1. fenbops

fenbops
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi all,

I currently have a 4K Sony tv with a VA panel and I don’t like it. There is far too much smudging and other issues with it with dark images while gaming. I’ve looked around and this seems a common factor with a VA panel, so I’m thinking of changing.

Can anyone recommend a good 4K 43inch IPS TV for gaming to compliment my PS4 Pro? Thanks :)

2. zeppelino

zeppelino

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,211
    What’s your current set?

3. fenbops

fenbops
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I currently have the 43XD8088. I love the android operating system but I just can’t get used to the terrible way it handles dark images in games (smudges, makes everything dark then pop when you move camera). Also the viewing angle is awful, if you move even a little bit the image looks worse.

It’s a shame as I know this is a good set, I just hate the smudging and so on.

4. zeppelino

zeppelino

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,211
    Fairly certain that’s an ips panel. If you’re disappointed with dark image handling that almost certainly confirms it’s an ips panel.

5. fenbops

fenbops
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    It’s definitely VA. The blacks are deep and good. The problem is when gaming it smears, smudges and dims far too much when panning a camera. I’ve read this is because VA panels have worse response times than IPS.

I’ve been looking and noticed the 2017 43XE8004BU is an IPS panel. I know blacks won’t be as good but I’m willing to sacrifice that for better motion. Can anyone tell me if it’s ok on that TV?

6. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,412
    Yeah it's VA. Smearing/trailing can be a result of slow VA panels but some VA are better than others. My TV has the smearing and it doesn't bother me but probably would bother someone playing fast paced FPS games.

Best IPS TV at that size would probably depend on pricing. Sony have RGB panels, LG WRGB panels but Philips have some decent models too but we sit at a time between new models being released and fetching a premium and older models selling out so I'd definitely recommend looking at some clearance 2017 models than 2018 ones. I think from what I've seen the Sony XE70 series has the fastest response times.

Be a bit careful though gaming in uhd though, some titles motion isn't going to look good at all due to games having to being rendered at 30hz instead of 60hz when the consoles aren't powerful enough.

Here's an example of someone unhappy with their motion on the 43" XE70 because of the console rendering at 30fps. Does it look similar to your problem?

Having at 60fps at the source is more important for motion than the panel response time so make sure that's not worsening your current experience either. The link is from a TV with good response times so I don't think it will be improved upon at this size anyway.

You may consider waiting and upsizing and going for a model with VRR and a 120hz panel, especially if you're a pc or Xbox gamer, although no doubt the ps5 will be vrr ready too. Not sure if Sony will give vrr to existing consoles.

7. fenbops

fenbops
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi thanks for the response. No that’s not the issue I’m having, it’s purely blacks smudging and smearing, which I’ve read is a problem with some VA panels. I’m playing dark souls remastered a the minute, which runs at 60fps and it looks god awful when I pan the camera.

The 43XD8088 is meant to be a fanastic tv, but I’ve had it a year and a half now and still not gotten used to this issue, I need to move on for peace of mind. It’s also put me off getting another VA panel as this one seems so poor.

Exit: Richer Sounds seem to have the KD43XF8096 for £599. That’s the 2018 model? Not sure what panel type though.

8. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,412
    Your current TV is the exception where panels are concerned at that size. I'm pretty sure that TV and most other 43 inch models will have IPS panels.

I would avoid overspending on a new 2018 model and look at 2017 models instead. Otherwise on current pricing you could end up paying a lot more.

Since TV's have just been released they carry a large premium making it a tough time to buy if you can't find 2017 models at a discount anymore. Buy at the right time and you can probably knock a good £150 off that new Sony for example. Its not a bad deal for this time of year though.

9. fenbops

fenbops
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    £599 seems decent, everywhere else is selling for £750+ and the 2017 model is still around £550. If it is indeed an IPS panel, I’m interested.

10. zeppelino

zeppelino

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,211
    The XF85 is ips so more than likely the XF80 is too. Panasonic’s FX range is ips.

11. fenbops

fenbops
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Cheers! I found this little website Sony TV line up 2018 comparison table which has it down as IPS too. Not sure how accurate it is though. There’s hardly any information out there, and rtings haven’t tested it yet :S

12. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,412
    It won't be too different from last years model. If it is indeed IPS that is. They usually have very minor differences.

I personally think Sony mark up their products a bit too high. You could get a Phillip's model for almost half that much that for gaming will likely be just as good.

The LGS may be wrgb but they are also a lot cheaper and likely more than good enough too.

It's hard buying small because deals are sparse compared to 55 or even 50" TV's. For £600 you could buy the new 1000 nit basic capable Philips computer monitor which puts prices into perspective. It's a va panel though.

Problem with IPS in general is you can't get good HDR and IPS together.