Looking for first system- is HDMI a major factor?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by ric449, May 3, 2007.

1. ric449

ric449
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey,

I am planning on getting my first system, complete with surround sound and receiver. I am looking at spending £300, but I don't know how much a reasonable set costs, so I can possibly stretch up to £500. I have three questions though:

1) Is HDMI really important in a receiver? My TV will have 3 HDMI ports, but how am I supposed to get the sound from the TV to the receiver if the device plugs straight into the TV? The TV can output sound over the red/white cables, but with the whole copy protection thing going on with Blu-ray/HD-DVD would this stop the TV doing this?

2) I know you must get this sort of question over and over, but what is the best package I can get for my money?

3) My room is small, it will be around 4-5M X 4-5M. At some point I want to get a Blu-ray/HD-DVD player, and since these use 6.1, I think I would be missing out if I didn't get that extra speaker over 5.1. But, I read that you need a bigger room to really appreciate 6.1, with my room size would 6.1 be a waste of money?

Thanks in advance for your help.

2. RottenFox

RottenFox
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,289
    1.not really,it will increase the no. of ports available,but if you have 3 already,its not a necessity.
    you can plug the tv,for freeview,terrestrial tv,etc,into the system with the red/white plugs,for pseudo surround,but the thing you should/would do is connect the ps3/blu-ray player etc,into the tv,with hdmi for picture(or into the system/then system to tv--if the system has hdmi),and then connect the optical/audio out on the ps3/blu-ray/hd-dvd player etc,into the surround system with an optical lead.-that way you would get surround sound..no need to connect the tv,into the system,when watching blu-ray etc.
    or...if the system supports multi channel in,and the player has multi channel out..then that would be the connection of choice.
    2.its up to you,all depends on sound/look/price etc.
    3.6.1 is fantastic,and you hear a difference with 6.1 encoded movies compared to playing the same with 5.1.
    my room is about 4.5m wide and about 9-10 metres long,i have 6.1,and wouldnt go back,to an allinone,with dvd player..i went for an amp/speakers combo.more available connections,better sound..IMO.

3. ric449

ric449
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply. I will definately look into the 6.1 setups.