• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Looking for Fibre Optic HDMI Cable

JonesyJ90

Novice Member
looking for a 10m fiber optic hdmi cable have seen some for £50 and some for £300 what are people running without problems and drop outs, anyone running the cheaper ones ?

Thanks this will be running from my sony 1080 av to my optoma uhd60 my hdmi lead is fine untill the xbox comes on at 60hz and drops outs all the time or wont find the xbox at all.

Rock Danger

Distinguished Member
Monoprice slim run or Ruiprio are the only ones that pass all tests.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
There are two ‘options’ with Fibre:

Active Fibre - everything runs over Fibre and one or both ends require power.

Hybrid Fibre - retains copper for the ‘Comms’ channel between the connected devices (which makes handshakes transparent - no additional delays) and mostly ‘steal’ power from the connected devices.

We supply and favour the RuiPro Hybrid Fibre option.

Joe

JonesyJ90

Novice Member
Hi thanks for your replys I did order before any replys and i got a 15m fiebr optic hdmi cable brand is atzebe but after awhile this keeps cutting out, I do only need 9m cable but went 15m for the extra length and only £5 more, is there any settings that need to be changed as iv gone to fiber etc or is this just a cheaply crap cable.

Thanks

JonesyJ90

Novice Member
Sorted it, my mrs tried watching the tv thismoring and had clicked the hdmi output to A+B and I think it was handshaking, its now hdmi A and is working fine, so this cheap£50 cable is working brilliant and with 2160 60hz xbox that my normal 10m hdmi cable wasnt working at all.

slystav

Novice Member
There are two ‘options’ with Fibre:

Active Fibre - everything runs over Fibre and one or both ends require power.

Hybrid Fibre - retains copper for the ‘Comms’ channel between the connected devices (which makes handshakes transparent - no additional delays) and mostly ‘steal’ power from the connected devices.

We supply and favour the RuiPro Hybrid Fibre option.

Joe

Hi Joe,
I'm new to fibre. You replied to my previous post where I'm getting dropouts on a 10m HDMI cable. I want to investigate replacing it with a fibre cable.
My requirements would be:
- low cost
- flexible/slim cable for a maximum bend radius of approx 40mm (25mm/1" square trunking on a right angle bend)
- multi-directional bends
- I have no objection to a powered or unpowered cable unless you can think of any. I can provide a spare USB socket.
- my signal is 1080p50 with 5.1.
- I'm worried about cable flexibility and thickness. My braided HDMI cable is very stiff. I'm worried about breaking the cable by forcing it into the trunking.

What should I look for/avoid?

Thanks in advance!:)

Otto Pylot

Low cost will be difficult with a hybrid fiber cable (Ruipro4k) but they do work very well. The bend radius is excellent on them but you really want to try and keep the bends to a minimum and as gentle as is reasonable. Just avoid really sharp 90 degree bends.

The active cables will draw power from the sink/source end so no additional power is required unless you need to use a power inserter, which is a USB adapter that plugs into any USB port on a tv, receiver, etc and supplies a constant 5v/500mA output. They do work for most folks but there may be a small loss of video fidelity even though I never saw it when I was testing them with the Ruipro4k cables. The power inserter's usually have a 15" or so cable that attaches to the HDMI port so the power source doesn't have to be right next to the HDMI port.

The Ruipro4k cables have slim design connector ends so they should fit into the trunking (conduit) but be very careful pulling the cable through because you don't want to damage the connector. There are lots of tricks to doing that safely.

A stiff cable is no bueno because, as you've noted, it may be difficult to run them through the conduit due to the thickness and they may exert undo stress on the HDMI port due to their weight.

The ATZEBE cable referenced above is an ok cable but the build quality and chipsets used is no where near the quality of the Ruipro4k hybrid fiber cables so longevity (reliability) will be an issue.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
'square trunking on a right angle bend' - is going to be a potential issue, get it wrong and you risk weakening the connector to cable bond or worst case scenario tear the connector off; you have a solid connector of around 50mm in length to get around the bend with a RuiPro4K cable.

Some of the 'Fibre' solutions have two part head with a micro HDMI connector - which is easier to pull through, though we find the cables less reliable and less system compatible than the Hybrid Fibre RuiPro4K.

Another option would be to pull a solid core, non CCA/CCS CAT6 cable and terminate on site then add in an HDMI over CAT Extender.

Joe

How did you get the current cable through the conduit?

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom