1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking for female-friendly surround speakers to match KEF Q5 fronts

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by dAVefaulkner, Apr 17, 2003.

1. dAVefaulkner

dAVefaulkner
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I recently managed to negotiate with the girlfriend the approval to get some nice but big front speakers (KEF Q5s) but at the expense of having to compromise on the surrounds, where the priority was to look cute and unobtrusive (not that the Q5s don't look nice to me!).

I auditioned the Q5s with some KEF "Eggs" and some B&W VM1s. The girlfriend preferred the appearance of the Eggs but I preferred the volume of the VM1s - the eggs seemed quieter. The dealer advised that I should stick to the same make for tonal matching and sensitivity (and hence recommended the Eggs). He said that output levels of different sensitivity speakers do not linearly match at different drive levels??? He did not give me the opportunity to adjust his amp levels to compensate for any sensitivity difference, so I feel that I did not get the chance to do a decent comparison/verification.

I have since discovered (from KEF and B&W websites) that the Q5s have the same sensitivity as the VM1s and the Eggs are LESS sensitive than the Q5s!

So, should I (re-negotiate and) choose the VM1s over the Eggs because of this reason or should I obey the "stick to same manufacturer" rule and adjust the amp levels to match them (and hope that the output vs drive linearly matches)?

I don't see how his advice has any bearing, since the cabinets/drive units are different, so how can/why should they match tonally - they don't match sensitivity-wise?

Thanks for any advice.

2. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  3. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    What rubbish some dealers do talk. The matching of sensitivity is largely irrelevant as most AV amps can compensate but it is deemed a good thing to have rear speakers from the same family as the fronts for tonal matching. KEF Q5 and Eggs may be made by the same company but I very much doubt whether they are a tonal match as even if they used the same drivers, the design and size is completely different.

What the dealer really meant was the best match for your front speakers was anything that they could sell you.

Much more compromise can be made in rear speakers as there isn't as much front to back sound as left to right and I have a complete mismatch in my system both in terms of design and costs but it suits me

4. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,541
    it would be easier to change the woman :)

5. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    My wife had veneer choice - one advantage of nice looking speakers. She prefers nice looking speakers to little naff looking ones

6. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +834
    How about the Kef Q8s surrounds? Fairly small and wife friendly and will be of a similar match tonally.

7. Johndm

Johndm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Get another pair of KEF Q5s for the rear, tell her they were cheap, and pick up some nice earrings and chocolates for her before you bring them home..:D

8. petrolhead

petrolhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    I can also recommend the Q8s

9. Zig

Zig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would recomend using something from the KEF Q range, the Q1, Q2DS or Q8. It all depends on room size and layout as to which would be most suited to you. I use all three of the above in my system as I wanted di-pole sides due to close positioning and went for the Q8's as rear surrounds due to their smaller size.

10. Paden

Paden

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I got myself a couple of Ci 200QR in ceiling speakers to match my front Uni-Q's at the end of last year & have been very pleased with them :D
    My main reason for getting them wasn't sonics but that they were less obtrusive than the Q15's I had previously, in what is not a massive room.

Cheers, Paul

11. wookie

wookie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    New Kef "EGGS" use the 19mm alu dome Q series tweeter.
    Perfect tonal match.
    Sensitivity is about 88db so +2db on av amp will theoretically give same output.
    £200 for a pair.