1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking for fellow Edinburgers with Z1, X1, AE300, HS2, HS10...

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by dunkyboy, Feb 24, 2003.

1. dunkyboy

dunkyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi,

I live in Edinburgh and I'm thinking of maybe selling my current Hitachi XGA business PJ and getting a proper 'home cinema' one - and seeing as prices and image quality seem to have converged quite nicely lately (image q going up, prices coming down, natch) I figure maybe now's a good time.

Thing is, it's hard to get demos of these projectors, and I was wondering if anyone living nearby had one of these in their setup and would be willing to let me take a wee look?

I'm mostly concerned with the relative benefits over my current PJ, which is watchable, with nice resolution (mmm, XGA), but not terribly 'filmic' (i.e. blacks are terrible, shadow detail nearly nonexistant, colours not quite right, contrast nothing to write home about). I want to know whether the current '1/4 HDTV' PJ's are maybe a step down in image smoothness than my XGA (as XGA maps perfectly to widescreen PAL, whereas 960x540 is a very odd scale down from PAL), in which case I'll want to save up a while and get the HS10.

Assuming the res isn't a problem, I suspect a Sanyo Z1 or Panny AE300 would probably be a significant step up from my current PJ - but I want to make sure before I shell out (and before I flog my current one!).

Another issue is brightness. My Hitachi, being business-oriented, is very bright and easily able to light up my 8-foot screen with a vivid image. Most of these 'home cinema' centric ones seem to be quite a bit lower in brightness and I'd quite like to see how they perform with about 14 feet of throw onto a 7-8' screen.

Anyway, yeah, my point is, if you live in Edinburgh (or maybe Glasgow? I'm a poor - ha! - student wi' no car so can't travel far), and wouldn't mind me popping 'round some time to have a quick look at yer PJ, please do let me know. Even if it's not one of the ones specifically mentioned, let me know what you've got as I may still be interested.

In return I'd be happy to share a sixpack of your choice of brew. :)

Cheers,

Dunc

2. rangers fan

rangers fan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the sony centre in glasgow has both projectors running the room isnt very dark but you do get to see how good or bad they are

3. dunkyboy

dunkyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    There's a Sony Centre here in E-burgh too, but for some reason it didn't occur to me to try it (even though I've been there before to check out the 11HT! :p)

Dunc

4. bertha

bertha

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    You could check out the seven oaks showroom in the grassmarket pretty decent bunch in there helpful & obliging tey have 2 demo rooms and a selection of different projectors - I'm sure they had a Sanyo & a Sony..may be worth a look

cheers

Berth:D

5. dunkyboy

dunkyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I went there about eight months ago to demo the Sony HS1 and the demo was hardly inspiring (not about the quality of the projector, mind you...) They just put it on the coffee table and plugged it in to a cheapie Toshiba DVD player via S-Video playing Episode I (& even had the sound hooked up to the PJ's wee speaker!) and projected it onto the wall. I mean, I know they cater to more upmarket home cinema enthusiasts than the typical HS1 purchaser but still.....

Besides, the HS1 was the only PJ short of the Sim3 HT200DM that they had available to demo!

Dunc

6. bertha

bertha

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    I've only been in to 7oaks twice I admit...that was to demo (& buy) the KefQ1s & they set up one of the rooms with all the same kit I had at home the pj was ceiling mounted and they had an electric screen & were pretty helpful - ( you can tell I'm easily pleased )..2nd time was getting a demo of a sub and again they were pretty decent and not too salesy...but Dunkyboy may be right about the pjs I didn't see a big selection they had a Sim, a Toshiba (I think) an unknown one (to me) & the Sony & Sanyo..

I think there is another hifi shop on South Clerk Street near the Odeon but I haven't been there & there is Hifi Confidential on Rose street but it's a bit small..

Maybe taking a trip to Glasgow could expand your choices?

All the best

Berth :D

7. dunkyboy

dunkyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Yup, I think Glasgow may be on the cards... There's a ton of hifi shops over there, and I know Jack at the Audio Salon very well (he sold me all of my ATC kit :clap:) so maybe he can help me out...

Thanks for the suggestions, Berth.

Cheers,

Dunc

8. Klippie

Klippie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    Loud and Clear in Edinburgh have an Infocus dlp projector as a demo, they are a very helpful bunch who spend as much time with you as you need.

I have seen this pj myself and compairing it to my HS10 the Sony wins hands down.

It may be worth going to have a look all the same.

Klippie.

9. rangers fan

rangers fan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    what infocus was it i have toshiba mt5 (infocus ls110) and on my screen 92" widescreen the tosh blew the sony out the window
    except as a pc screen. i tested it with and without the cinema lens
    but then the sony is a fair bit cheaper and a hell of a lot better looking

10. Klippie

Klippie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    I sure it was the 110, the image seemed to have an effect that looked like rain falling down the screen and we wont even talk about rainbows, I still feel the Sony has quite an edge and as you say is a fair bit cheaper to boot.

Klippie.