Looking for external mic for SD90: What is good and where to buy from?

Paul MC007

Hi all

As the title says, I am interested in getting an external mic for my SD90.

After using one on a professional Sony camera at work, I now fully realise the benefit of an external mic!

So, question is: Where do I get one from and what is best?

Do I need to purchase separately the shoe holder?

I've seen some people say about one called "SG108" which looks cheap enough on Ebay, but I have no idea if this is really any good and indeed if I need to purchase a separate shoe holder for this?

Any recommendations? I don't want to spend a fortune - just really want to improve a little over the sound on the camcorder - especially for speech if interviewing people and that sort of thing...

Thanks for any help!

12harry

Can you give us some idea of the use?
(and Budget).

+Have you tried that Work-mic on yr camcorder?,- that may give you a starting-point.

SD90 still going - excellent news.

EDIT: Can you determine what would be the modern work-mic equivalent, or maybe search for one s/h (er, ahem, suggest your Co. buys a better one???)

Last edited:

Paul MC007

Hi

Yes, tried the work one (It's a Sony mic but a standard 3.5mm jack plug so it works) and it sounds fantastic - part of the reason, now I have experienced this, that I want to upgrade.

Usage would be to mainly pick up speech - and just general stuff really.....

Budget? Well, didn't want to spend any more than about £50 if poss - although could go higher if needs be.....

As I say, not sure if I need to also buy the shoe adapter - I guess I would - does this have to be from Panasonic directly?

...and yes, it's still going .......I am so pleased to have it back!!!!!

Paul - If you've lost the shoe adapter that came with the camera, you'll have to get it from Panasonic - I don't know anywhere else to get it (I have a TM900 with the same part and I leave it in the camera so I don't lose it).

Once you overcome the shoe adapter challenge, I recommend stretching the budget a little for the £65 Audio Technica Pro24. It will give you the best value for the money. Here is a review of the microphone with the mic mounted on a Panasonic camcorder:
Hope this is helpful,

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution

Paul MC007

Paul - If you've lost the shoe adapter that came with the camera, you'll have to get it from Panasonic - I don't know anywhere else to get it (I have a TM900 with the same part and I leave it in the camera so I don't lose it).

Once you overcome the shoe adapter challenge, I recommend stretching the budget a little for the £65 Audio Technica Pro24. It will give you the best value for the money. Here is a review of the microphone with the mic mounted on a Panasonic camcorder: Audio Technica Pro 24-CM Camcorder Mic Review - YouTube

Hope this is helpful,

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution
Hi Bill

How stupid am I? Just looked in the original packaging and yes, sure enough I have the adaptor shoe! Didn't realise that it came with the camera!

Thanks for this review - looks good, I shall probably go for this - so yes, very helpful

Thanks Bill

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Hi-Fi products of 2020, Plus Best of the Month for TV Shows & Movies
Top Bottom